PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Cart Help, please?

VASpartan
10-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Based upon some great feedback thusfar I'm at a point to share my list and see if it has any gaps. Do you see any?

I'm working on a '10 Honda Accord, light green. No significant problems that I have observed so far. I have use detailing products before but would not consider myself a detailer (yet :hungry:).

Wash - MG Gold Glass wash (already have)
Clay - MG w/ QD (already have)
Swirl - Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
Polish - Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
Sealant - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant
Wax - Collinite 845
Have always wanted a DA polisher and want to get the following:

PC 7424XP HD
5" backing plate
Hydro-tech pads 5.5" x 7/8"

2 cyan
2 tangerine
2 crimson

Questions:
The Hydro-tech pads say that they are for "buffing hard, scratch-resistant paint finishes with a dual action polisher". Will this be too hard for the softer finish on my Honda?
Am I blatantly missing anything out of the list above?
I welcome any ideas for swapping out items if a superior product exists.
I'll tackle research on the inside another day.

alko
10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Definitely get you the PC 7424XP. Biga posted his experience using Optimum Poli Seal with a tangerine LC Hydro pad. Honda has VERY soft paint, so you need to be careful. I used LC CCS pads and got really good results. You have a 2010 so I doubt the paint is in bad condition to where you need something very abraisive. Everyone says start off with the least aggresive product and pad and figure out what works best for you.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/38596-2007-acura-tl-optimum-poli-seal.html

Marc08EX
10-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Looks like you got the basics covered.

It's good that you have the 3 basic kinds of HT pads but IMO, you will only need to use the tangerine pad on our paint especially if you don't have a lot of surface defects.

Matt S.
10-13-2011, 12:22 PM

It's good that you have the 3 basic kinds of HT pads but IMO, you will only need to use the tangerine pad on our paint especially if you don't have a lot of surface defects.

+1

I'd go with 3 Tangerine and 3 Crimson. You may be able to get away with using Finishing Glaze on a Tangerine pad to correct the finish if your paint is soft enough and the defects aren't very deep.

JBL
10-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Based upon some great feedback thusfar I'm at a point to share my list and see if it has any gaps. Do you see any?

Ooo...I like this spending other peoples' money thing!

I personally like having Optimum No Rinse around. I think I mentioned in the other thread that it helps since I don't have a hose, so I can wash a car with just two buckets of water. It's going to be clutch this winter when I can just fill 'em up with some warm water on decent days (non-freezing, sunny, etc.) and not make an icy mess. It also works AWESOME as a clay lubricant, which financially, makes more sense than some of the QDs out there because of how little you have to use.

There are some good MF towels on sale right now and foam pads (for hand use). I just got an email for a DP rollback here as well, so look through their stuff.

If I had the extra $$ laying around, I'd probably go with one of the CarPro sample kits as well, just to check it out...but that's me.

VASpartan
10-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Definitely get you the PC 7424XP. Biga posted his experience using Optimum Poli Seal with a tangerine LC Hydro pad. Honda has VERY soft paint, so you need to be careful. I used LC CCS pads and got really good results. You have a 2010 so I doubt the paint is in bad condition to where you need something very abraisive. Everyone says start off with the least aggresive product and pad and figure out what works best for you.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/38596-2007-acura-tl-optimum-poli-seal.html

Correct Alko. My first glance has the paint looking pretty good..

+1

I'd go with 3 Tangerine and 3 Crimson. You may be able to get away with using Finishing Glaze on a Tangerine pad to correct the finish if your paint is soft enough and the defects aren't very deep.

Marc and Matt, Thank you! Marc, Are you saying the same thing as Matt to delete the blue pad? Or delete blue AND Crimson?

I'm assuming I can use the Crimson pad for the 845, correct?

Appreciate the quick feedback.

Matt S.
10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
If you get Tangerine and Crimson, you can either do:

-Finishing Glaze via Tangerine
-Seal/wax via Crimson

OR

-Total Swirl Remover via Tangerine
-Finishing Glaze via Crimson
-Seal/wax via Crimson

This is why I'd recommend getting both Tangerine and Crimson pads. :cheers:

JBL
10-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Check your inbox VASpartan...you have a PM.

Marc08EX
10-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Marc and Matt, Thank you! Marc, Are you saying the same thing as Matt to delete the blue pad? Or delete blue AND Crimson?

I'm assuming I can use the Crimson pad for the 845, correct?

Appreciate the quick feedback.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough but I was suggesting to leave out the cyan pad but leave some crimson behind. If it was me personally, I'd get 4 tangerines and 2 crimson pads. The crimson pad will be used for final polishing and waxing.

If you get Tangerine and Crimson, you can either do:

-Finishing Glaze via Tangerine
-Seal/wax via Crimson

OR

-Total Swirl Remover via Tangerine
-Finishing Glaze via Crimson
-Seal/wax via Crimson

This is why I'd recommend getting both Tangerine and Crimson pads.

I would follow Matt's suggestion. Those 2 options are dead on.

VASpartan
10-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Check your inbox VASpartan...you have a PM.

Thanks again, JBL

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough but I was suggesting to leave out the cyan pad but leave some crimson behind. If it was me personally, I'd get 4 tangerines and 2 crimson pads. The crimson pad will be used for final polishing and waxing.

I would follow Matt's suggestion. Those 2 options are dead on.

Thanks Marc, that's what I thought and I wanted to make sure.

Following the great suggestions, I pulled the trigger and placed the order - dropped the cyan pads and added to tangerine and crimson. Can't wait for them to arrive!

This is a great place. Thanks every one. I'll be following up with interior questions soon.

Mike