PDA

View Full Version : Best Long Term treatment for new rims?

Pages : [1] 2

courtdale
10-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Found an amazing set of BMW rims in mint condition (159s) for sale by an owner that pretty much just wanted them out of his garage as he had just upgraded. They really look brand new. My current REALLY look 10 years old.

I want to do my best with these before I buy tires for them and put them on the car. One area that I dion't know much about are the long term nano coating/seals, simply because I haven't had a vehicle yet that I've been satisfied with its level of correction to "seal" it up. Different story with these.

So what is my best protocal/product for these, including the wells?

ThirdgenTa
10-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Opti-coat!

Setec Astronomy
10-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Yeah, gotta be Opti-Coat.

LuxuryMobile
10-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Opti coat is your best bet.

dougaross
10-13-2011, 07:50 AM
opti-coat

galaxy
10-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Do you, typically, or can you apply a LSP or anything over opti-coat? Or is that a fire and forget LSP itself, to be followed with normal cleaning & maintenance? Does it have a service life like most LSPs do?

courtdale
10-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Do you, typically, or can you apply a LSP or anything over opti-coat? Or is that a fire and forget LSP itself, to be followed with normal cleaning & maintenance? Does it have a service life like most LSPs do?

Yeah, similar question, is your average wheel cleaner product Opti-Coat safe?

SeaJay's
10-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Yeah, similar question, is your average wheel cleaner product Opti-Coat safe?

Yes. Opti-coat is a ceramic coating. The only way to remove it is by buffing it off. So once it's on there it's on there!

Setec Astronomy
10-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Yes. Opti-coat is a ceramic coating.

People keep saying this--but Optimum doesn't say this. They say it is a pre-polymer resin, which means it's a lot like the clearcoat on your car.

SeaJay's
10-13-2011, 09:07 AM
People keep saying this--but Optimum doesn't say this. They say it is a pre-polymer resin, which means it's a lot like the clearcoat on your car.

My bad! I was thinking of C-Quartz.

Setec Astronomy
10-13-2011, 09:13 AM
My bad! I was thinking of C-Quartz.

I don't follow CQuartz that much but I'm not sure that Dr. G wouldn't argue about the nomenclature of "ceramic coating". Just like Ceramiclear paint is just paint with ceramic nano-particles mixed in, isn't CQuartz just a sealant with ceramic nano-particles mixed in? I mean, it's certainly not like a porcelain coating, which is a ceramic which is fired on at high temperature, just like a wax with teflon in it isn't like teflon coating on a frying pan.

EDIT: Not that Dr. G would argue this point anyway, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy, he seems to just go about his business.

TLMitchell
10-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes. Opti-coat is a ceramic coating. The only way to remove it is by buffing it off. So once it's on there it's on there!

Which may provide some considerations for when you mount rubber if you use stick-on weights since things don't adhere too well to OC. I'd guess compounding a spot by hand before mounting the weights ought to work.

TL

Setec Astronomy
10-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Which may provide some considerations for when you mount rubber if you use stick-on weights since things don't adhere too well to OC. I'd guess compounding a spot by hand before mounting the weights ought to work.

Sheesh, I feel like "negative Ned" in this thread, but do you have any empirical evidence that weights won't stick? I don't either, but my guess with the grabby surface that OC 2.0 leaves, that the double-stick tape will adhere fine. That's just my gut feel, that tape is different than trying to get an LSP to adhere to it.

SeaJay's
10-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Sheesh, I feel like "negative Ned" in this thread, but do you have any empirical evidence that weights won't stick? I don't either, but my guess with the grabby surface that OC 2.0 leaves, that the double-stick tape will adhere fine. That's just my gut feel, that tape is different than trying to get an LSP to adhere to it.

Wow you are just on a tear today huh?! lol jk.

You have brought up great points and questions. I personally do not have any experience with Opti-coat so can't really say if the weights for balancing would stick or not.

I actually have very limited experience with any of the "coatings". Just haven't had the time to really dive into them. I've used the C-Quartz once on my hood. That was about 6 months ago.

Setec Astronomy
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
You have brought up great points and questions. I personally do not have any experience with Opti-coat so can't really say if the weights for balancing would stick or not.

Well, it's certainly a valid concern, because the normal laquer thinner wipe that they might do in the tire shop won't (I guess) remove the OC 2.0. I just used mine for the first time on some headlights this past weekend but it wasn't my car so all I can say is they sure didn't feel slick (people have noted that it feels like squeaky-clean paint, and I concur).