PDA

View Full Version : Baked on Wax/Sealant?

omg35s
10-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Prior to going on vacation I had detailed my car. Sealed my car with Klasse SG. When it was time to remove the sealant it got dark and I had a hard time seeing the sealant. Did the best I could, everything looked good.

Unfortunately, the next morning I had my flight and didn't have the time to re-inspect my car. I come back from vacation (two weeks later) and there are some white haze spots and even some spots where you could see how I applied the Klasse SG. (Linear, according to how the wind travels on the car) The car sat outside with sunshine and some rain...

I don't see how leftover sealant/wax can ruin the paint... I hope not...

How do I remove the white haze and leftover sealant on various parts of my car? I tried some QD and a wash but didn't have much luck. I didn't have much time to take out the porter-cable or anything of that sort. I'm assuming I have to use some light polish?

I have a 2007 Black Infiniti G35.

Thanks!

PS - I'm going to try some IPA and see if that removes it...

aerogt01
10-12-2011, 11:26 PM
First try a light chemical cleaning, such as Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or Lime Prime. If that doesn't work I would go to a very light abrasive polish.

An in-between step might be using something like OPC 3:1 or P21S TAW.

umi000
10-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Prior to going on vacation I had detailed my car. Sealed my car with Klasse SG. When it was time to remove the sealant it got dark and I had a hard time seeing the sealant. Did the best I could, everything looked good.

Unfortunately, the next morning I had my flight and didn't have the time to re-inspect my car. I come back from vacation (two weeks later) and there are some white haze spots and even some spots where you could see how I applied the Klasse SG. (Linear, according to how the wind travels on the car) The car sat outside with sunshine and some rain...

I don't see how leftover sealant/wax can ruin the paint... I hope not...

How do I remove the white haze and leftover sealant on various parts of my car? I tried some QD and a wash but didn't have much luck. I didn't have much time to take out the porter-cable or anything of that sort. I'm assuming I have to use some light polish?

I have a 2007 Black Infiniti G35.

Thanks!

PS - I'm going to try some IPA and see if that removes it...

Try a paint cleaner - if you have KAIO, that should work. Another thing I've read, though I've not tried, is to re-apply some more of the product, in this case KSG, on the hazed areas - the solvents in the newly applied product would theoretically dissolve the unbuffed bits that have been left behind previously.

omg35s
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
First try a light chemical cleaning, such as Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or Lime Prime. If that doesn't work I would go to a very light abrasive polish.

An in-between step might be using something like OPC 3:1 or P21S TAW.

Unfortunately, I do not own any of those products.

Try a paint cleaner - if you have KAIO, that should work. Another thing I've read, though I've not tried, is to re-apply some more of the product, in this case KSG, on the hazed areas - the solvents in the newly applied product would theoretically dissolve the unbuffed bits that have been left behind previously.

No KAIO either.. I have about $1,000 worth of products but none of the ones mentioned.. haha...

I've also heard about reapplying the product so the solvents work into the paint again and then I could remove it. I give it a shot. Unfortunately, it's raining here so I'm going to have to wait.

1. Wash
2. Re-apply Klasse SG to affected areas.
3. Remove it after a few minutes and hopefully the prior haze will diminish.
4. If that doesn't work I'm going to use Manzerna PO85RD by hand and hopefully it'll come out.

Actually found this article from Mike Phillips:

"Personal Recommendation For Removing Waxes and Paint Sealants
To remove any previously applied wax or paint sealant, I recommend using a light paint cleaner or a light polish applied by hand or machine. A light paint cleaner or abrasive polish will effectively remove any previously applied wax or paint sealant AND leave the paint looking clear and glossy. I call this working forward in the process because the goal is to create beauty.

Chemically stripping the paint will tend to dull the paint; it certainly doesn't increase gloss and clarity. You don't see the dulling effect unless you're working on black paint and repeat the process multiple times. Since not everyone works on black paint, and you're not going to make stripping your car's paint a daily routine, it could be you won't see the dulling effect on your car's paint but it does take place.

Wiping a clear coated black finish over and over and over again with any type of solvent isn't going to make the top clear layer of paint more and more clear, it's going to do the opposite, that is dull it down.

So chemically stripping paint is what I call working backwards in the process. I, personally, prefer to work forwards in all my detailing projects but do understand the reasons why some people want to chemically strip their car's paint, or their customer's car's paint, and each person can decide what the best approach is for their needs.

And again, since you're not chemically stripping the paint as a "practice" but only during a detailing session, the dulling effect is not an issue, but I wanted to point it out just for the most detail oriented detailing enthusiasts or Pro Detailers reading this article."

Mike Phillips
10-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Ouch!

One of the reasons I wrote this article was to prepare people to correctly apply a thin coat of KSG

A tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/37279-tip-working-waxes-paint-sealants-coatings-new-you.html)

Like mentioned, try a paint cleaner by hand or machine...

:)

Setec Astronomy
10-14-2011, 10:16 AM
IMO the fresh KSG won't remove the cured KSG, it doesn't have any solvents, it's water-based...if water removed it, so would the rain and your wash. If you have $1000 of products you surely have some paint cleaner or light/finishing polish. Using that by hand should take the residue right off.

omg35s
10-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Some Manzerna PO85RD and some elbow grease took it right out.

This was actually my first time using this product and I was suprised that it was taking a little of the paint off? This is suppose to be a light polish.... My MF towel had some black spots here and there. (My car is black..) I'll be applying another coat of Klasse SG before winter comes.

Thanks for the insight and help everyone!

My car is now ready for a little Cruise and Photoshoot!

Setec Astronomy
10-15-2011, 10:36 PM
This was actually my first time using this product and I was suprised that it was taking a little of the paint off? This is suppose to be a light polish.... My MF towel had some black spots here and there. (My car is black..)

You always take a little of the paint off if you are using an abrasive polish, you just won't see it on your towel if it's clearcoat. Here's some reasons why you might have black on your towel:

1. You have single-stage paint
2. Your paint is dirty, and you are seeing dirt on your towel
3. You rubbed up against some of your plastic or rubber trim

embolism
10-16-2011, 12:32 AM
4. you could also have tinted clear...

Setec Astronomy
10-16-2011, 07:47 AM
4. you could also have tinted clear...

Yeah, that too :p

umi000
10-16-2011, 08:49 AM
IMO the fresh KSG won't remove the cured KSG, it doesn't have any solvents, it's water-based...if water removed it, so would the rain and your wash. If you have $1000 of products you surely have some paint cleaner or light/finishing polish. Using that by hand should take the residue right off.

Ah, that makes sense, given how people have had success diluting KSG and using it as a spray sealant.