PDA

View Full Version : Does it make any sense to use 85RD with an AIO?

Capa1970
10-12-2011, 10:26 AM
I plan to detail my two cars this week. I have a Griots orbital buffer and I have UC, Griot's #3 polish, and Menz 85RD. I plan to use the AIO, Duragloss 501, which has strong cleaners and diminishing abrasives and to follow it up with Collinite 845.

My question is whether it makes any sense to jewel a car with 85RD and then follow that up with An AIO like Duragloss 501.
Another question is that I am really not wanting to do a two or three step correction. Is it possible to go ULtimate Compound, Menz 85 RD and then the Duragloss? How about UC, which finished down very well in my eyes, and then Duragloss?

I have LC 5 1/2 pads: yellow, orange, white, and black. I have a soft red Griots pad that I intend to use for the Collinite wax. I have a silver Lexus with softer paint and a dark blue Grand Caravan with harder paint. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Matt S.
10-12-2011, 10:33 AM
To me, it doesn't make sense. If you're going through the correction steps, just use a pure wax/sealant - there's no need to use anything with cleaners/abrasives in the finishing step, since the correction steps have taken care of this.

As for whether Duragloss 501 will remove any potential hazing left by UC, I've never used it as a finishing polish so I cannot comment. Try the process on a test spot...if it looks good to you, you're good to go. :)

If, however, you have to use 85RD as the finishing step, I do recommend a pure wax/sealant afterwards.

tuscarora dave
10-12-2011, 10:35 AM
No it won't make much sense to gloss the paint up with 85RD just to tear the gloss back down and build it back up with another diminishing abrasive product. It IMO, would be working backwards.

UC, 85RD then a dedicated sealant or UC then DG 501 and done.

You'll need to work either 85RD or DG501 long enough to break down the diminishing abrasives to achieve the maximum gloss. With a DA it could take quite a bit of working it so don't be in a hurry.

Capa1970
10-12-2011, 10:44 AM
So two votes for not following 85 RD with an AIO like Duragloss 501. Since this is for winter prep, I am not aiming for perfection. I am now leaning towards UC followed by Duragloss 501. I will do a test spot.

courtdale
10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Me so far - 85rd, Blackfire Wet Diamond (seal), wax. 85rd polishes so well I wonder sometimes if I even need to do anything but wax, I can't see adding to the process at all.

embolism
10-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't think you will get much cut from DG501, I consider it more a paint cleaner.

Since we are going into winter, do you really want to buff out your cars? I would do DG501 on both the Lex and your minivan, maybe mix some 601 in there to flash cure it, then top with 845 about an hour later

Come spring, the lex should be easy to correct with any type of polish. I wouldn't use UC unless it really needed it. It's hard to see swirls on silver anyhoo. I'm planning to hit mine with 106FA on a white polishing pad come spring. Should be enough to take out all the micro scratches I've accumulated over the winter...

Capa1970
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Me so far - 85rd, Blackfire Wet Diamond (seal), wax. 85rd polishes so well I wonder sometimes if I even need to do anything but wax, I can't see adding to the process at all.

What pad do you use with the 85rd?
I just started on the Lexus and the orange pad with Ultimate Compound is slowly doing a dent. I believe Meg 105 is on my wishlist for next spring when I do my cars again.

courtdale
10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
What pad do you use with the 85rd?
I just started on the Lexus and the orange pad with Ultimate Compound is slowly doing a dent. I believe Meg 105 is on my wishlist for next spring when I do my cars again.

LC Gray so far, may try the blues next time around. My first step was with Meg compound. It was in need of HEAVY correction so I went with the yellow. Followed that up with Power Finish/green pad just prior to the 85rd.

Capa1970
10-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Another question: since I am using Duragloss 501 to remove any hazing left over from the UC plus orange pad combo, should I use a LC white flat pad for the Duragloss and the black pad for the Collinite or should I go black pad with the Duragloss and Griots red pad for the wax?

truckbutt
10-12-2011, 01:00 PM
No it won't make much sense to gloss the paint up with 85RD just to tear the gloss back down and build it back up with another diminishing abrasive product. It IMO, would be working backwards.

UC, 85RD then a dedicated sealant or UC then DG 501 and done.

You'll need to work either 85RD or DG501 long enough to break down the diminishing abrasives to achieve the maximum gloss. With a DA it could take quite a bit of working it so don't be in a hurry.
:iagree:+1

Matt S.
10-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Another question: since I am using Duragloss 501 to remove any hazing left over from the UC plus orange pad combo, should I use a LC white flat pad for the Duragloss and the black pad for the Collinite or should I go black pad with the Duragloss and Griots red pad for the wax?

White / black would be my choice.

silverfox
10-12-2011, 01:14 PM
If you are thinking about using 85RD with a DA polisher, you better have LOTS of time on your hands...I'm talking 4-5 minutes per section in some cases depending how perfect you want it (not per panel....per 20"x20" section). You can do the math in terms of the time just doing that one step will take.

Throw in cleaning the pads during all that polishing, time outs, bathroom breaks...interruptions, etc...LOTS of time.

Matt S.
10-12-2011, 01:28 PM
If you are thinking about using 85RD with a DA polisher, you better have LOTS of time on your hands...I'm talking 4-5 minutes per section in some cases depending how perfect you want it (not per panel....per 20"x20" section). You can do the math in terms of the time just doing that one step will take.

Throw in cleaning the pads during all that polishing, time outs, bathroom breaks...interruptions, etc...LOTS of time.

That's interesting that it takes so long for 85RD to break down for you. It doesn't seem to take nearly as long for me, but I use a 3401 most of the time. What polisher/pad/speed are you using it with?

Capa1970
10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Well I finish polishing with UC and sealing with Duragloss 501. I was disappointed with the UC and 5 1/2 LC orange flat pad combo. Correction was a slow process. Tomorrow I will add Collinite 845 and I should be good for 6 months. Because of the yucky wintery weather I really wasn't aiming for perfection. I definitely need something with better cut. Perhaps Meg 105 for the spring detail.

embolism
10-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't think smat polishes finish down as nicely on soft paint.

I'd save the UC for the minivan and get some SIP or power finish for the Lex...