PDA

View Full Version : Optimum User - switch to Wolfgang?

helmet993
10-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't have a porter cable machine polisher so I don't really need any cutting/polishing products unless they are really easy to use by hand.

My car is 15 years old, Arctic Silver in color, and I like to keep it shiny, there are some imperfections in the form of microchips from road spray and a few rock chips but for 90k miles it still looks nice.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I'm not going to polish it until I find someone local that is well recommended to do that. It was last polished about 3 years ago.

Since then I have been using Optimum Opti Seal and Optimum Car Wax and Optimum Instant Detailer.

My stuff is almost gone, except I have a lot of the Opti Seal left. Will the opti seal be useful with any of the other brands?

So, I am preparing to order more and I checked out a few other brands.

1. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant (in that order, with proper application and curing time of course)

2. Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection with Deep Gloss Spray Sealant...not sure I want this because it has some mineral spirits in it.

3. Fourstar UPP with Fourstar Ultimate Spray Wax Plus

I'm leaning toward the Wolfgang...

Here's a pic of my car with the Optimum products.

http://helmreich.smugmug.com/Cars/993-C2S/DSC02665/654233127_dKqtx-L.jpg

So my questions:
1. Will I benefit from using Wolfgang or Fourstar over Optimum?
2. Will the Wolfgang or Fourstar provide a different 'finish' look? (Color, bring out the brown, blue, etc in the Silver?)
3. Are the protection levels the same approximately?
4. Will the opti seal be useful with any of the other brands?

JonMiles
10-11-2011, 03:50 PM
What about using something with a little cleaning ability like Klasse AIO/SG or XMT 360? They might give you a little help removing some light blemishes and clean the paint really well. You can top with a sealant of your choice.

Out of the products you have listed, Fourstar UPP would be my choice. Very slick and makes silver blinding to look at in the sun.

helmet993
10-11-2011, 04:10 PM
A cleaner would be a good idea, I never thought about the distinction to be honest.

I did like the idea of keeping with a single brand to maximize the 'system' effect, but that is not necessary?

So Klasse AIO with Opti Seal and Fourstar UPP would work well? Or skip the Opti Seal?

Bamaboy007
10-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I love all the Wolfgang products!!!!!

helmet993
10-11-2011, 05:37 PM
I also use the Optimum No Rinse wash, doesn't that serve as a cleaner?

JonMiles
10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Attain and maintain a perfect-ten shine - clean, polish, protect with the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Concours Kit. (http://www.autogeek.net/wg6000.html)

rider9195
10-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I suggest using the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish and Wet Diamond sealant. It is a good combo and does look good on lighter colors. Wolfgang is a good line as well!

umi000
10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
TBH, I really doubt you'll be seeing any big differences in the look of various products. The Optimum line is pretty good - if you're getting results that you're happy with, why change? If you want to stick with Optimum, you can use Poli-Seal before your Opti-Seal application. ONR is used for washing and QDing, but it won't remove oxidation and contaminants, which is where paint cleaners come in.

embolism
10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
do you use clay?

how about iron x? I think you'll be surprised how much bleed you'll get around door handles and the back spoiler

I second Jon's recommendation for a paint cleaner like KAIO. By hand it won't clean as well as with a polisher but something is better than nothing.