PDA

View Full Version : Now I got a Meg DA and first time wishing it.. any tip/tricks?

terentius
10-10-2011, 08:18 PM
HI Folks

I had juz got a DA and had tried using over the weekend "feeling" how the machine works. The result is below expectation

I have make several mistake and the Major ones are what Mike highlighted in one of his thread.

1. Trying to work too large of an area at one time.

Had work on too large an area

2. Moving the polisher too fast over the surface.

Moving the polisher too fast - and using a LC green polishing pad and JW prime. Dont think it really help to remove the swirl or stubborn mark :( ( AM being too careful cos it is my first time)

3. Using too low of speed setting for removing swirls.

Being too careful of using speed 2. I hope I do not introduce more swirl to the body.. seem like there are few other new swirl or scratch :(

4. Using too little downward pressure on the head of the polisher.

Worried that I will burn or create more swirl

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html

I had made a purchase of OPT polishII and some LC Hydro tangerine pads. I hope to give it another shot when the item arrived.

1. How do I ensure I do not create more swirl to the paint
2. How many pass do I need to for a 2x2 section / test spot
3.What is the speed on the meg DA for polishing

Appreciate any tips/tricks with the product / machine.

Thanks

embolism
10-10-2011, 10:01 PM
what car and colour are you working on?

I used compound II today and it still took about 15 lbs of pressure for the first 4 passes then lighter pressure for 4 more passes to get some scratches out of hard clear (they did not catch my finger nail) so I doubt that you would create more swirls using polish II with a tangerine pad.

for correction, you need to use speed 5-5.5

opt polishes have a long working time. Work them until they change to clear and don't use too much product once the pad is primed. Don't forget to work clean!

terentius
10-10-2011, 10:10 PM
what car and colour are you working on?

I used compound II today and it still took about 15 lbs of pressure for the first 4 passes then lighter pressure for 4 more passes to get some scratches out of hard clear (they did not catch my finger nail) so I doubt that you would create more swirls using polish II with a tangerine pad.

for correction, you need to use speed 5-5.5

opt polishes have a long working time. Work them until they change to clear and don't use too much product once the pad is primed. Don't forget to work clean!

Thanks TIM..

I am working on a white car.. realise there are some swirl and scratches... still lots to learn.

How do we know if paint is soft/hard/sticky?

embolism
10-11-2011, 08:50 AM
only way to know is to do a test spot with a tape line so you can look at a 50/50

you'll also be able to figure it out pretty fast once you get a few cars under your belt. Case in point, I've done my car which has pretty soft clear so I know what pressure works with a particular combo. I was using the same pad with a stronger polish yesterday and it didn't do anything to the panel with hard clear however, so I had to use double the pressure I'd normally use for my car.

I figured it would be harder since it was an American car which is why I went with the stronger compound to start, but until you try things, you don't know exactly what will work on any given day, even though you can have a general idea based on your previous experiences...