PDA

View Full Version : Be VERY CAREFUL with Groupon Customers

MirandaAutoSpa
10-10-2011, 07:05 PM
So we have used Groupon twice and had ok success. At least it gave our website a boost and we gained 2-3 repeat customers.

However we are learning our lesson. We have been getting customers who have not read anything on the Groupon, and even get upset for travel fees and larger vehicle fees. Pretty stupid.:mad:

So our next one, if we do it again, will be EXTERIOR ONLY, simple wash/light clay/machine applied wax. That way we don't get screwed over when a customer abuses the Groupon with a nasty never been washed/vacuumed vehicle.

Has anyone had experiences like this?
It can be disheartening , especially when your not making a lot of money and trying to gain GOOD customers, not cheapo complainers.

truckbutt
10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
A recent article in the NY Times cast a pretty dark picture of Groupon and sites like it. They found that people who use Groupon tend to go from deal to deal rather then stay as regulars, and then they trash the places they go to on Yelp. Retailers are starting to get disillusioned. Groupon's plans to become a public company (IPO) have been delayed again.

C. Charles Hahn
10-10-2011, 09:55 PM
So we have used Groupon twice and had ok success. At least it gave our website a boost and we gained 2-3 repeat customers.

However we are learning our lesson. We have been getting customers who have not read anything on the Groupon, and even get upset for travel fees and larger vehicle fees. Pretty stupid.:mad:

So our next one, if we do it again, will be EXTERIOR ONLY, simple wash/light clay/machine applied wax. That way we don't get screwed over when a customer abuses the Groupon with a nasty never been washed/vacuumed vehicle.

Has anyone had experiences like this?
It can be disheartening , especially when your not making a lot of money and trying to gain GOOD customers, not cheapo complainers.

I think you've just landed upon the downside of this marketing method. For every potential repeat customer, there are five just looking for a "deal" with no intention of regularly using your services.

ThirdgenTa
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I've heard things from people who own detail shops who have worked with groupon before and not really anything good comes out of it. They cut a huge break for groupon and then groupon takes half of the money. Then you get people who have never taken care of their car before coming in at the same time (usually weekends) and then when it takes a long time they just bad mouth the company on the internet. They also want their car to look like brand new for the price of $20-$30.
I've had them tell me out of 100 customers they get about 2-3 repeat customers.

Kristopher1129
10-10-2011, 11:38 PM
I hear ya! I did something very similar to Groupon, and had much the same experience.

My problem was...that I didn't really NEED all the new customers. So basically what happened was a lot of my current customers snagged them up quickly, and they sold a lot really fast.

Then, I had the same experience you did...people not paying attention and bringing in excessively dirty vehicles, or larger vehicles than the package called for. They just wanna be in and out with their coupon.

Next time, I'll be doing the same thing as you...just exterior wash & wax jobs just to bring in new faces. No more in and out packages.

Plus, like almost a hundred of them got out and they came in alllllll spring, summer, and fall. I'm all set with that again! lol