PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stabilizer for the Winter?

Bacon
10-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi Guys:

With winter around the corner, does anyone use a fuel stabilizer for the car(s) they keep in the garage and do not drive (from Nov-Feb)? IF so is there a particular brand that you use and do you think its really necessary.

Thanks for any help/insight!

:dblthumb2:

Bacon

rider9195
10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Put Sta-bil in my dads Corvette this past Saturday for storage. The first year we had it, it went through the winter without any additives and in the Spring it started and ran fine. But I do believe if you are storing your car for more than 3-4 months it should be used.

Chris's FX4
10-10-2011, 06:05 PM
My dad uses Sta-bil in his Mustang for winter storage, and I did the same with my Ranchero.

The Mustang starts right up without even a cough. The Ranchero took a couple tries, but its a carbed engine.

If anything, its cheap insurance.:xyxthumbs:

ScottB
10-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Stay Bil is popular indeed ...

BobbyG
10-10-2011, 07:20 PM
My daughters Dad uses Sta-Bil on his Z06 Corvette, both tractors, snow blower, generator, and power washer...;)

KneeDragr
10-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I prefer Seafoam but Sta-Bil works great as well.

oldmodman
10-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Another vote for Sta-Bil.

I put it in a car that was going to be mothballed. It stayed wrapped up for 15 years. Here in Los Angeles, warm winters and cool summers.
Tank was filled to the brim to avoid rust.
Unwrapped car. Changed all fluids including draining the tank. The gas still smelled OK and wasn't full of crud. Car started right up after priming the oils system.

FUNX650
10-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Another vote for Sta-Bil. :)

Bob

BillyJack
10-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Recently, I attended a GM Training seminar for the new Chevrolet Volt. The Volt has a gas engine that acts purely as a generator, so depending on how often the batteries are charged at home and daily driving range, the generator may never be used. Premium fuel is required, since GM anticipates the shelf life of premium to be one year and the car's software will actually start and run the engine if it hasn't been used in one year's time. Living in PA, I've been doing the winter storage routine for over 30 years. I always filled up with premium before hibernation just as a precaution and never had a problem restarting in spring. Now I have verification that the premium fuel thing is not just a myth.
I do know Sta-Bil works for really long-term stuff, but I wouldn't bother if it's just a few months.

Bill

KneeDragr
10-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Recently, I attended a GM Training seminar for the new Chevrolet Volt. The Volt has a gas engine that acts purely as a generator, so depending on how often the batteries are charged at home and daily driving range, the generator may never be used. Premium fuel is required, since GM anticipates the shelf life of premium to be one year and the car's software will actually start and run the engine if it hasn't been used in one year's time. Living in PA, I've been doing the winter storage routine for over 30 years. I always filled up with premium before hibernation just as a precaution and never had a problem restarting in spring. Now I have verification that the premium fuel thing is not just a myth.
I do know Sta-Bil works for really long-term stuff, but I wouldn't bother if it's just a few months.

Bill

It depends on where you live and if the gas has ethanol mixed in.

I once let a motorcycle sit for 4 months with premium w/no stabilizer and it gunked up really bad, had to clean the carbs.

If you can get pure gasoline, it should last a year. Ethanol based gass will start to deteriorate after only 2 weeks, but shouldent be a problem until the 1 month mark.

In general, the closer you are to a large city, the less chance you have of purchasing pure gasoline. Pure gasoline also increases mileage compared to ethanol mixed blends.

The first year I owned my Vette I let ethanol mixed premium gas sit for a month in my Vette here and there and it ran ok, but took a bit for it to idle smooth. Now I put Seafoam in every tank and it fires up and purrs immediately.

Seafoam is good stuff if you use it frequently because it lubricates as well as cleans. Also, it raises octane slightly where as Sta-Bil reduces it slightly ( about a point ). If you only have access to 91 octane this might be beneficial.

blckbrd
10-11-2011, 10:55 AM
If you have ethanol added gas.....make sure you use Sta-Bil for ethanol added gas. It comes in a blue bottle. I live in an area that has ethanol added gas and store several items from a mini bike to couple of cars. I would not store the vehicles without it unless you like rebuilding your fuel system.

Ken

bill57
10-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I fill the tank with Premium and use StaBil as directed for long winters in Cleveland, Ohio.