PDA

View Full Version : Polished my daily driver for the last time.

tuscarora dave
10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Between Saturday and today I did a decontamination, finish polish using rotary with finish pad and PO85RD and then applied a coating of Opti-Coat 2.0. This old car has served me well and has received many battle scars over the 4 years that I have owned it.

I initially learned how to polish paint the AutoGeek way on this car's paint using the Mega Cyclo Kit that I first bought from AG. A year or so after that I bought a rotary polisher and a slew of pads and again learned how to run that efficiently by polishing on my old Buick. The poor car has no clear coat left in some spots and a few paint burns here and there from me learning the limitations of the rotary and some awful compounds, polishes and pads. I have been through a hundred different compounds, polishes and several hundred pads, weeding out what didn't work for me and eventually settling on a dozen or so products and a few different pad favorites, all tested out on this car. So this weekend the old Buick got her last ever polishing.

Here's a few pics of what she looks like now as the Opti-Coat 2.0 cures.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/074-3.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/072-2.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/070-1.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/061-3.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/065-3.jpg

What ever will I do with my spare time now?

Flash Gordon
10-10-2011, 05:23 PM
She's a beaut Dave :props:

BobbyG
10-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Dave,

That Opti-Coat makes your Buick looks brand new. A little TLC makes a huge difference is how the car looks long term and your Buick looks pretty darn young! :props:

alko
10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Man...that thing looks beautiful!!! My pops had that same car. I loved it...it also saved my mom's life. She got t-boned by a drunk driver flying down a side street (it was on a hill) and running a red light.

tuscarora dave
10-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys. It does look pretty nice. I need to restore the headlight on the passenger side yet and then paint the wiper arms,do something with the wheels and spruce up the interior a bit and then she's going on the market for sale.

alko
10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
If she needs repainting, why not repaint it yourself?

tuscarora dave
10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Man...that thing looks beautiful!!! My pops had that same car. I loved it...it also saved my mom's life. She got t-boned by a drunk driver flying down a side street (it was on a hill) and running a red light.
That's awesome!! Thank the good Lord that she was in the Buick.

alko
10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
That's awesome!! Thank the good Lord that she was in the Buick.

Indeed. She owns a business thats 50+ miles away from their house. She's been in two really bad accidents...one with an accord and the other with that Park Ave. Matter of fact, both were t-bones. One of those big Mac dump trucks t-boned her in the accord. The State trooper that arrived on the scene just knew whoever was in the accord was dead. She's a tough cookie. That Park Ave brings back alot of memories. Pops used to let me take chicks on dates with that car. LOL!

tuscarora dave
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
If she needs repainting, why not repaint it yourself?
I'll be selling it and putting that money toward a bigger van for next years mobile detailing rig and I am also trying to get involved in some mobile mechanical repairs as well so I'll be needing the right van. I also want a car that has some better color than the Buick and something that doesn't require 93 octane would be nice too. It's just time for her to go.

tuscarora dave
11-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Funny how sometimes time flies and then other things seem so long ago but actually weren't near as long as you think.

It feels like over 2 years ago that I applied the Opti-Coat 2.0 to my Buick. I've stated several times that I have been torture testing the Opti-Coat for nearly 2 years. With a few recent threads about glass coatings and OG, I went back and had a look. It's been just over a year now but seems like so much longer than that. Sorry guys, been torturing it for less than a year and it's still on the car going strong. I've on many occasions though, sprayed the entire car down with straight APC and allowed it to dry in direct sunlight for an hour or more before rinsing it off, trying to kill the Opti-Coat 2.0. The stuff is still on the old Buick.

After I wash it and tell people it hasn't been waxed in over a year (well...actually been saying 2 years until now) they just can't believe it wasn't just waxed.

Dr. G says that the OG has a thicker film build because of a stronger concentration. My OC 2.0 and OG customers are all thrilled about the coating so far. Sorry again for stretching the truth about how long it's been since I applied the OC 2.0 to my car. It wasn't my intention to deceive.

Edit: I just couldn't bring myself to sell the Buick so I still have it.