PDA

View Full Version : New Steamer

Tom Weed
10-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Okay, I've been doing vehicles now every weekend since July, my Steamer which is/was a Reliable T630 stopped working and when I turned it over, I could see where the wiring got really hot and melted bottom of the unit housing. I was considering getting it up and replacing the wiring, but wondered what made it get so hot in the first place... Today I bit the bullet and ordered a new VX5000. Anyone else have one? Any tips or recommendations good or bad? I hope it was worth what I paid for and and holds up to consistant use...

dad07
10-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Tom I do not own one (YET) but I have used one and you will not be dissappointed!

Robert8194
10-10-2011, 02:03 PM
The VX 5000 is a great machine. If it is like mine and several others, it will not produce the pressure advertised. There are instructions on this forum (or Steve will give them to you) to crank the pressure up. It is so easy, a lawyer can do it. You will love this machine. Great decision IMO.

Flash Gordon
10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
The VX5000 is top-notch from what I hear

How much would you sell me your old one for?

Tom Weed
10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Hey Flash, going to send you a pm...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Tom Weed
10-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks everyone!

cutter
10-11-2011, 06:53 AM
I've enjoyed using mine....I need to find the post on how to crank up the steam, not that it doesn't have enough already, but isn't more always better!!!:xyxthumbs:

Flash Gordon
10-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Hey Flash, going to send you a pm...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Got it!!!

Thanks Tom ;)

Robert8194
10-11-2011, 08:33 AM
I've enjoyed using mine....I need to find the post on how to crank up the steam, not that it doesn't have enough already, but isn't more always better!!!:xyxthumbs:

Jeff

Let me save you the trouble :dblthumb2:

To increase pressure on VX 5000 vapor steamer, turn screw with small flat head screw driver, 1/2 round clockwise equals 1 pressure bar.

directions: unplug unit, release any pressure.
1. Place unit on table facing yourselt and remove big black fill cap on top.
2. Lower or remove the center black rubber gasket that exposes the 4 screws, and remove screws with small phillips screw driver. Note, there are little small nuts on screws, put your finger on nut while screwing, will loosen screws.
3. Lift top case up and fold back, just like folding a lid back. Note, the case has sharp edges on it, don't cut finger when separating the case.
4. There is a T fitting screwed into right side of tank that has a white switch built onto it, look for hex nut at end of this switch and inside the hex is the screw that you turn clockwise to increase pressure.
5. Reverse instruction and plug up and turn boiler button on and check your pressure.

It was a very simple adjustment. If your steamer is like mine was, reading 3 1/2 bars then 1/2 turn clockwise will bring it up to abour 5 bars. I was told never to adjust where unit runs in red, that would be about 7 bars I think. Also 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 is acceptable but not to go over 5 1/2 bars.
Robert

richy
10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Jeff

Let me save you the trouble :dblthumb2:

To increase pressure on VX 5000 vapor steamer, turn screw with small flat head screw driver, 1/2 round clockwise equals 1 pressure bar.

directions: unplug unit, release any pressure.
1. Place unit on table facing yourselt and remove big black fill cap on top.
2. Lower or remove the center black rubber gasket that exposes the 4 screws, and remove screws with small phillips screw driver. Note, there are little small nuts on screws, put your finger on nut while screwing, will loosen screws.
3. Lift top case up and fold back, just like folding a lid back. Note, the case has sharp edges on it, don't cut finger when separating the case.
4. There is a T fitting screwed into right side of tank that has a white switch built onto it, look for hex nut at end of this switch and inside the hex is the screw that you turn clockwise to increase pressure.
5. Reverse instruction and plug up and turn boiler button on and check your pressure.

It was a very simple adjustment. If your steamer is like mine was, reading 3 1/2 bars then 1/2 turn clockwise will bring it up to abour 5 bars. I was told never to adjust where unit runs in red, that would be about 7 bars I think. Also 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 is acceptable but not to go over 5 1/2 bars.
Robert

Quality post!:props:

mark58
10-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Okay, I've been doing vehicles now every weekend since July, my Steamer which is/was a Reliable T630 stopped working and when I turned it over, I could see where the wiring got really hot and melted bottom of the unit housing. I was considering getting it up and replacing the wiring, but wondered what made it get so hot in the first place... Today I bit the bullet and ordered a new VX5000. Anyone else have one? Any tips or recommendations good or bad? I hope it was worth what I paid for and and holds up to consistant use...

If I were I guessing guy I would say it overheated. Why? Minerals and calcium built up inside so when it calls for heat it is very hard to make steam through insulation (mineral build up)
They will go bad just like your normal coffee makers and same principal will apply on your household hot water tank. Just my 2 cents worth.Get some Lime Away from Lowes or walmart put in the tank and leave it sit overnight. Drain and rinse and shuld be OK.

Gurge
10-12-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a vx5000 for about 6 months now. using it at the stock psi settings. very happy with the unit and I find it's a lifesaver sometimes

many uses around the house also. thats how i got familiar with it. playing around the home.

it does not quite do as good a job on carpets as an extractor would. but it does so much else I feel its a necessity now on jobs. and for light soiling, the steamer + upholestry cleaner does a pretty damn good job

may want to check out the renny doyle video using the vx. it's kinda pricey ($50 i think?) but it gave me confidence to blast steam in areas I otherwise wouldn't have. shows you a variety of good techniques also

Tom Weed
10-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks everyone, the VX5000 showed up yesterday and after watching the video that came with it, I fired it up, it came up to 4 bars... I couldn't resist the urge to crack it open and turn the pressure screw one half turn, put it back together, refilled it and fired it up again, came up to 5 bars. Will leave it as is, thank you very much for that post Robert! :props::props::props:

jwgreen6
10-13-2011, 10:28 AM
I have a vx5000 for about 6 months now. using it at the stock psi settings. very happy with the unit and I find it's a lifesaver sometimes

many uses around the house also. thats how i got familiar with it. playing around the home.

it does not quite do as good a job on carpets as an extractor would. but it does so much else I feel its a necessity now on jobs. and for light soiling, the steamer + upholestry cleaner does a pretty damn good job

may want to check out the renny doyle video using the vx. it's kinda pricey ($50 i think?) but it gave me confidence to blast steam in areas I otherwise wouldn't have. shows you a variety of good techniques also

I bought Renny's video and it contains a lot of good information on how to use the VX 5000. If you're not familiar with using a steamer in detaining interiors as I am (I'm just starting my detailing business), pull the trigger and get the video. I've watched it 3 times so far and I've learned something with each viewing.

Robert8194
10-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone, the VX5000 showed up yesterday and after watching the video that came with it, I fired it up, it came up to 4 bars... I couldn't resist the urge to crack it open and turn the pressure screw one half turn, put it back together, refilled it and fired it up again, came up to 5 bars. Will leave it as is, thank you very much for that post Robert! :props::props::props:

Glad I could give back for all the help I receive from you guys.