PDA

View Full Version : Bringing home brand new car..what now?

Pages : [1] 2

mcneguy
10-09-2011, 01:42 PM
I am picking up my 2012 325i on Tuesday. What should I do immediately to begin proper paint protection? My typical routine is wash, then use Klasse all in one, then Klasse sealant and finally carnuba paste wax as is outlined in the forum favorite kit. Should I do it all right away or just part of my routine or something else?

weavers
10-09-2011, 01:55 PM
wash, clay, and wax. the products you have are great and will work very well. keep doing it just the way your are, just be sure to clay after washing.

you may want to research opti coat 2.0 if you want some long term protection. or get a clear bra to protect from stone chips.

mcneguy
10-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks Weavers. Do I really need to clay bar a new car?

flyinion
10-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Yep, you have no idea how long it may have sat at the storage lot before it got to the dealer. The only exception would be if you ordered it and it just came out of the factory before getting to you.

weavers
10-09-2011, 02:09 PM

The answer is it depends. It depends how it was shipped, how long its be on the dealer lot, ect. Just do it. It takes what 15-30mins to clay a car. The time you spend thinking about you should just be doing it.

my rule of thumb, if your gonna wax/seal you need a clean surface. that means always wash and clay.

mcneguy
10-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Excellent points. Should I use my polisher with a non cutting pad to apply the polish or just do it by hand?

CAMAROZL1
10-09-2011, 02:33 PM

yes you do, I just bought a brand new Cruze and first thing I did was detail it. You be surprised all the particles you'll get on clay bar. Congrats on new car :Picture:

mcneguy
10-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I just looked in to opti coat, I'm just an amateur at this and I only work on my own cars, thus looks pretty scary in that this is forever.

weavers
10-09-2011, 03:07 PM
I just looked in to opti coat, I'm just an amateur at this and I only work on my own cars, thus looks pretty scary in that this is forever.

Its not a forever product. more like 2-5years. Its still fairly new so only time will tell. I think the best thing about is that if you mess up it only takes polish to remove. the key is a clean surface and to take your time. At the very least put opti coat on wheels. You can clean really dirty wheels with just water pressure, not to mention it brings out a deeper level of shine.

FlawlessShineAS
10-09-2011, 03:34 PM
I agree with the panel, to wash then clay the surface not knowing how the vehicle was handled before delivery to buyer . I have a question myself for the panel.. I usually wash, clay, & wash again after claying. Is it a good idea to wash after I clay the surface? Or am I wasting time.. Time is Money. If so I can cut maybe 10-15 minutes off of detailing a clients vehicle.

weavers
10-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I agree with the panel, to wash then clay the surface not knowing how the vehicle was handled before delivery to buyer . I have a question myself for the panel.. I usually wash, clay, & wash again after claying. Is it a good idea to wash after I clay the surface? Or am I wasting time.. Time is Money. If so I can cut maybe 10-15 minutes off of detailing a clients vehicle.

I use ONR to wash cars. so if i am planning on claying/waxing i will wash with onr and clay, then dry. yes the dry towel picks up some dirty from the claying process, but its a huge time saver.

sometimes after claying i will do an ipa wipe down. depends on the car and time.

CAMAROZL1
10-09-2011, 03:44 PM
as long as you do a good job the first time cleaning your car you shouldn't have to re wash your car. plus clay takes off anything else thats in paint. make sure to wax your car after every section you wax if all your doing is clay and wax :dblthumb2:

bullitt 736
10-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Don't let the dealer detail it before you pick it up.

Bullitt 736

CAMAROZL1
10-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Bullitt 736

:iagree::dblthumb2:

garyg7133
10-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Bullitt 736

Absolutely not. If they can just hand you the car without washing or detailing it, do it yourself. You will be glad you did.