PDA

View Full Version : strange windshield issue

PA DETAILER
10-08-2011, 11:36 PM
never saw this one before. washed my 2010 canyon mid week. while going to work i noticed from the inside that the top/side portion of the passenger windshield looked filthly! you could see the wiper path in direct sunlight. like a film of dirt. like i missed washing the windshield in that whole area. you could see the arc of the wiper path, clean, then dirty where the wiper does not reach. now i did apply aquapel awhile back without any drama. almost like a etched in film. looks spotless, till the sun hits it and you can see it from inside. any idea what happened? and how to tackle getting rid of it? steel wool/brillo/? WEIRD!

shoeless89
10-09-2011, 12:22 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about. I wouldn't use anything as abrasive a steel wool. I would start off using some ARC to clean the area. If that doesn't work try M105. I've been thinking about trying one of the glass restorers. I haven't had time to see if any one these options fix mine but I've read a few other guys with similar issues have having pretty good results with the methods mentioned. Good luck. Let me/us know what worked when you find something that does.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

cutter
10-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Try your Clay Bar first...That may take care of the problem.

PA DETAILER
10-09-2011, 05:20 AM
would a paint cleaner (p21s) or light compound do the duty?

dougaross
10-09-2011, 07:44 AM
I have same problem, keep us posted.

jfelbab
10-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I've used a Scotch pad with glass cleaner and it came right off on my glass.

dad07
10-09-2011, 08:48 AM
I've ran into this problem a few times....heres my proccess

clean glass
clay
Megs UC on Cyan pad
clean glass
Then DG NU Glass

works well for me .

PA DETAILER
10-09-2011, 08:55 AM
hit it with some opt. compound II. it appears it removed it. has to be in the sun to see it. just weird. like acid rain etching. but only that area??? removed the aquapel in the process i am sure :(

FUNX650
10-09-2011, 09:09 AM
never saw this one before. washed my 2010 canyon mid week. while going to work i noticed from the inside that the top/side portion of the passenger windshield looked filthly! you could see the wiper path in direct sunlight. like a film of dirt. like i missed washing the windshield in that whole area. you could see the arc of the wiper path, clean, then dirty where the wiper does not reach. now i did apply aquapel awhile back without any drama. almost like a etched in film. looks spotless, till the sun hits it and you can see it from inside. any idea what happened? and how to tackle getting rid of it? steel wool/brillo/? WEIRD!

Sorry to hear about this! :(

Over time...I've heard/read that the intended purpose of AquaPel becomes "diminished"....And, IMO...To/by what degree is probably somewhat determined by the condition and number of wiper-blade-insert swipes, and environmental factors.

Accordingly, I've heard/read that Aquapel states that a re-application is in order, if you would so desire.

The "etching' you referrence:

There's always seems to be concerns raised on what will cause etching of auto glass, as well as how to remove such etching.
Could be the "bonding" that AquaPel states happens between their product and auto glass. Perhaps not, though. Or....

....Perhaps the re-application mentioned above might fill-in/smooth-out the etching you see.....If so....Might it be compared to a similar process that's used in headlight repair?

:)

Bob

PA DETAILER
10-09-2011, 09:14 AM
this would be a good product.....

Glass Science Glass Scrub Auto Glass Stripper, glass polish, glass cleaner, glass cleanser, water spot remover (http://www.autogeek.net/glass-scrub-stripper.html)

i followed up with DG rain repel after i used the opt. compound. i just found it strange only that part of the windshield.

PA DETAILER
10-10-2011, 08:14 AM
took it out for some errands yesterday. appears that the compound took care of it. appears clear in that area now. i really dont know what could have caused this, and just in that area? it will remain a mystery.

1MZsLastForever
10-10-2011, 05:04 PM
this would be a good product.....

Glass Science Glass Scrub Auto Glass Stripper, glass polish, glass cleaner, glass cleanser, water spot remover (http://www.autogeek.net/glass-scrub-stripper.html)

i followed up with DG rain repel after i used the opt. compound. i just found it strange only that part of the windshield.

I love Glass Science Glass Scrub! It definitely helped make my windows look like new.

BobbyG
10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
took it out for some errands yesterday. appears that the compound took care of it. appears clear in that area now. i really dont know what could have caused this, and just in that area? it will remain a mystery.

Sometimes you just can't explain everything and starting over is the best answer...:props:

Dr Oldz
10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Keep DP Glass Restorer in mind for next time. Works wonders for those issues.