PDA

View Full Version : Getting those little hairs out of microfibers?

flektone
10-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Is there anyway to get those little hairs out of microfibers? Ive washed them a number a times and still there. I use them to clean my windows and end up seeing all these tiny hairs on my windshield. Any tips?

lexterminator
10-08-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm curious to hear about that one too. I have that issue sometimes but not every time. Wasn't able to pinpoint was is causing that yet. It's even happening on my cobra blue towels to remove wax. I used the DP Microfiber cleaner and also the Pinnacle one and once in a while I get that issue on towels and like you mentioned it leaves some tiny hairs on glass and also for me on paint that shows up in direct light.

thanks

Kristopher1129
10-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I get all my towels delivered to me, and I've complained about this to them multiple times. It's the worst when they bring me brand new towels...cause it makes doing windows a pain.

What I usually do is use the "suede like" glass towels to follow up the MF. Usually does the trick. I've found no cure for avoiding the little hairs so far.

It's strange too...cause sometimes they'll leave them, and sometimes they won't. I find that humidity, and temperature seem to play a role.

embolism
10-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I just got some griots speedshine towels which got a favourable review on here. They are a POS imo, 80/20 blend which they do not advertise, and they are leaving these little hairs behind which is very obvious on black. My cobra rolled edges do not do this.

I've learned my lesson AG, I'll never stray again...

SonOfOC
10-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Those little hairs are annoying. Some MF shed them and some don't. I've gotten good results with those MF glass towels that have a weave to them. Otherwise, you can go over the glass with a fluffy drying MF towel.

SUGARCANE MAN
10-09-2011, 12:37 AM
I would return those if you can. I get mine from Costco sometimes I don't have that problem. Also I get some really good ones from Pakshak here in Hawaii. I usually wash them first I don't get the shedding effect if I don't I usually get little yellow fiber balls

flektone
10-09-2011, 07:40 AM
I would return those if you can. I get mine from Costco sometimes I don't have that problem. Also I get some really good ones from Pakshak here in Hawaii. I usually wash them first I don't get the shedding effect if I don't I usually get little yellow fiber balls

Thats where I bought mine. The big yellow bundle for like $20. Its not to much of a big deal its not like its a show car. Just thought some of the pros around here had an idea of how to rid of them

fredcandetail
10-09-2011, 08:38 AM
It may be possible that there maybe some little grains on the windows or panels that maybe catching the MF
When it happens again do the baggie clay test and see in fact if your panel/glass is debris/contaminant free

Dan Metzler
10-09-2011, 08:41 AM
The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel cleans & buffs glass to crystal clarity with the soft texture of genuine Cobra microfiber. (http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html)

These are the best for glass. Never had a hair issue and they happen to be on BOGO for one more week!

The Costco yellow bundle for $20 is a great deal and work great for dirty work. I have found these do leave hair.

embolism
10-09-2011, 08:42 AM
not the case for the GG towels, my paint is in great condition.

The GG towels just plain suck

LegacyGT
10-09-2011, 10:38 AM
The Costco yellow bundle for $20 is a great deal and work great for dirty work. I have found these do leave hair.

Yup.

Waxmax
10-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I too have had linting (or "hair") problems with the GG towels....no more for me.

Setec Astronomy
10-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I usually refer to those "hairs" as...er...fibers...um....microfibers.

As noted, some towels are worse than others, and the age of the towel can make it better or worse, but what I have noticed about the variability when wiping glass, is if you wipe wet where you have lubrication from the glass cleaner, you leave less fibers than when you wipe until it's dry, my theory is the friction against the glass is pulling the fibers out.

AirVenture
10-09-2011, 04:58 PM
I've been on a crusade to get ride of these things. However, I've always pictured these "little hairs" as actually being lint. Much to my dismay after buying Meguiar's and Cobra's towels, they leave lint as well. My Target no-name towels I've had for 2+ years are usually the best. It helps to spray down the MF towel with your product you're using. I guess this in effect "primes" it and keeps the friction down so you don't transfer the lint to the surface. If I use my towels immediately after washing, they seem to have less problems. Also, give them a good hard shake before using. The no-lint towels specifically for windshields really do work well.

opie_7afe
10-09-2011, 05:48 PM
i use the surgical huck towels for windows, don't lint/leave hair.they work really good on those nasty windows of kid-mobiles.