PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning pad after a pass

CAMAROZL1
10-08-2011, 08:17 PM
....Cut down on the amount of product AFTER pad is broken-in...
After your pad is broken in with product, clean your pad after each section pass and when you apply fresh product you can cut down on the amount of product you actually apply to the face of your pad...

I read this on help for newbies DA Polishers by Mike, Im a bit confused however. Does this mean after I do every panel: IE hood, doors, etc..., do I have to clean pad with XMT pad cleaner? Seems like more work than should be done but again, this is all new to me

Flash Gordon
10-08-2011, 08:46 PM
....Cut down on the amount of product AFTER pad is broken-in...
After your pad is broken in with product, clean your pad after each section pass and when you apply fresh product you can cut down on the amount of product you actually apply to the face of your pad...

I read this on help for newbies DA Polishers by Mike, Im a bit confused however. Does this mean after I do every panel: IE hood, doors, etc..., do I have to clean pad with XMT pad cleaner? Seems like more work than should be done but again, this is all new to me

You clean the pad when it becomes gummed up. With foam, I've always just grabbed a new pad and cleaned them all when I'm done

If I'm using wool, then I spin the pad and hold a screwdriver against it and work in an outward motion

Does this make sense to you? :buffing:

CAMAROZL1
10-08-2011, 08:55 PM
yeah makes sense glad I bought more than 1 pad. Your wise beyond your years Flash

mjlinane
10-08-2011, 09:01 PM
There are several methods. Search "cleaning on the fly". I use a brush on foam.

Flash Gordon
10-08-2011, 09:07 PM
yeah makes sense glad I bought more than 1 pad. Your wise beyond your years Flash

You waste a little more product (polish) using this method, but to be honest with you, wasting product (polish) is the last thing I'm concerned with when polishing :buffing:

I'm really not that smart, but thanks anyway :)

itay
10-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Cleaning after each pass , when you get used to doing it , it does seem to help the results your getting + time to get them.

also i think using 2 pads on each car is a basic thing. (for each process, 2 for cutting, 2 for polishing/finishing).

Also, giving them a good wash helps keeping them fresh for the next time.

fredcandetail
10-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Today we detailed a piockup truck that was heavily scratched from ranch to and froms so nonetheless it was compounded, polished then sealed...
Well we were using a wool pad and like always dust right !?!? Well I cranked up the air compressor to blow off all the dust and as one of my guys was compounding I noticed his pad was gummed up ... So naturally we use a stiff bristled brush to break up the compound while spinning it . Well this time I had him spin it and o blasted 150 psi onto the pad and OMG did this sucker clean up in a jiffy!
Worked just as good on foam too!

tw33k2514
10-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Well this time I had him spin it and o blasted 150 psi onto the pad and OMG did this sucker clean up in a jiffy!
Worked just as good on foam too!

This is exactly what I do. Works great, and it's fast.