PDA

View Full Version : Griots 6" DA & 3" Pads

crxman2010
10-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I have a Griots 6" DA and am looking for something to handle the smaller areas but from what I have read, many people suggest sticking with the 6" DA and going to a smaller pad.

I have a 2 7/8" Norgrip backing plate (hook and loop) and currently have a couple of Norgrip pads measuring about 3 5/8" but I don't have many and am looking for some different pads.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/image1did.jpg/)

My first question is, would this size backing plate work with the Griots 3" pads?

What do you guys think of the Griots 3" pads? How do they compare to 4" offerings from LC?

TLMitchell
10-07-2011, 01:00 AM
My first question is, would this size backing plate work with the Griots 3" pads?

What do you guys think of the Griots 3" pads? How do they compare to 4" offerings from LC?

What you currently have will work with the 3" GG pads although it doesn't leave much margin for error at the edge.

Lots more variety available with the LC 4" pads, nobody carries much of a variety of LC smaller than 4" although AG carries the 3.5" PFW and I've found one source for 3.5" white & orange LC CCS pads.

TL

VISITOR
10-07-2011, 01:16 AM
IME using the griots 3" pads with the PC they will tear and are best used with the 3" polisher instead...

crxman2010
10-07-2011, 07:12 AM
So for example, on the A pillar of my first victim, the paint width starts at about 2.5" once it moves above the passenger window it is about 3.5".

So would you try and use a 4" pad through an area like that and when you tape off use a 2 inch roll on either side? Or just do it by hand with the CCS Euro pads LC offers?

crxman2010
10-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Wanted to add this reply from Griots regarding the 3" DA attachments.

"Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Griot's Garage with your product question. Our 6" Random Orbital should not be used with backing plates or pads that are either smaller or larger as it will indeed wear out the internals. It can also create too much heat and pressure in the pads which could cause damage to your surface. Most of all, modifying the unit in any way will void the lifetime warrantee."

TLMitchell
10-07-2011, 03:34 PM

"Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Griot's Garage with your product question. Our 6" Random Orbital should not be used with backing plates or pads that are either smaller or larger as it will indeed wear out the internals. It can also create too much heat and pressure in the pads which could cause damage to your surface. Most of all, modifying the unit in any way will void the lifetime warrantee."

Oh boy, I better get that 5" BP off my GG6 before my lifetime warranty is voided! Whew... just in the nick of time!

Did they mention they'd be happy to sell you the 3" GG instead of changing the BP on your GG6?

TL

skipper1
10-08-2011, 06:46 AM

"Hello Michael,

I just went to Griot's Garage website and couldn't find anything on not using 3" backing plate and 3" pads on Griot's 6" buffer. I also pulled out the instructions that came with my Griot's 6" buffer and couldn't find anything in there about NOT using a 3" backing plate and 3" pads on the buffer. If that were the case, the machine would have been fixed so you couldn't change out the plates.

This BS sounds like it came from their legal department. Don't believe a word of this nonsense. I've been using a 3" backing plate on the Griot's 6" buffer and it works just fine.

They would like for you to purchase their 3" buffer. I purchased one and used it once, then sent it back. It has no power, or at least not enough power to do much of anything. If they could come up with a small 3" buffer that was powerful enough to clean up headlights and do correction, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

BorisC
10-08-2011, 07:13 AM
If they could come up with a small 3" buffer that was powerful enough to clean up headlights and do correction, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

I use mine for headlights all the time without any problem.