PDA

View Full Version : Lubricate door hinges and locks before winter

Pages : [1] 2

kaboose786
10-06-2011, 12:40 PM
How often do you guys get ur door panels (hinges/locks) lubricated? I went to this car detail shop to get paint sealant on before winter for $100. The guy there told me to first get rust protection for $100 on door panels before i get paint sealant. I was like how does it make a difference? like why should i get rust protection on door panels before getting paint sealant on the car exterior which is exposed the most. My car is only a year old but my car manual says to get door/hinges lubricated every 4 months.

BobbyG
10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I do the hinges every fall and spring. The striker and latch gets done at the same time and always a dry lube here as well.

Hinges

I use LPS 1 Premium Lubricant spray product for hinges. It comes with one of those red plastic straws allowing me to put the product right where I want it.

Locks

DuPont™ Teflon™ Multi-Use Lubricant. This is a great product and does on as a liquid and once it evaporates it leaves behind a dry film that protects and lubricates everything it comes in contact with. It comes with one of those red plastic straws allowing me to put the product inside the lock covering all the important parts.

DaHen
10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I'll spray some of Dupont's Teflon Silicone Lubricant on them at least twice a year. Or what ever lube that is in the garage.

DaHen
10-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Glad you reminded me. Just went out and did mine including the trunk latch and hood hinges.
Now what shall I do for the rest of the day. lol.

kaboose786
10-06-2011, 01:14 PM
So that means i shouldnt get that $100 rust protection and just lubricate doors by myself?

DaHen
10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
So that means i shouldnt get that $100 rust protection and just lubricate doors by myself?

In my opinion, I would say yes. Just lube the doors yourself and save the hundred bucks.

I fell for one of those "rust protection" application deals in the early eighties and later didn't feel that I needed it.

Flash Gordon
10-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I haven't had to lube a door in 15 years. Is your door sticking?

No, I wouldn't purchase the rust protection. Your detailer sounds like a con artist IMO

Mike Phillips
10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Note to self...

Lube door hinges before the warm Florida winter...

:D

Nick McKees37
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Note to self...

Lube door hinges before the warm Florida winter...

:D

Funny you say that Mike. I've lived in Florida for a little over four years now and I've never had to lube my door hinges. Now up north on the other hand.....that's a different story! :nomore:

embolism
10-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm hoping you haven't given this guy anything yet. Spend that money here and get a nice sealant, some clay, applicators, lube, spray wax, MFs, etc...

can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon. Sometimes I call a buddy over and we sit in the driveway having a stogie and scotch while we wait for our wax to haze...

modo
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
just don't use a white lithium grease as over time it will solidify and makes matters worse... i had a hell of a time getting the door latches on the coupe to work correctly because they were so gummed up from that crap from one of the old owners :nomore:

Judge
10-06-2011, 01:58 PM
CRC Powerlube works really well. I started using this after I found out WD-40 is not a proper lubricant

Y2KSVT
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Maybe it's a New England thing, but I've never lubed any of my door hinges in any of my vehicles and I've not had any issues. I'm in northern Indiana, roughly an hour from the Michigan border.

bobble
10-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Maybe once a year here in Socal but I do have t say the Dupont Teflon spray is great. I use it on my jet skis quite often to lube the steering linkage and cables and it never fails no matter what kind of water I am in. Nothing worse than breaking a steering cable in the middle of carving towards the banks of a river or lake.

Jons6.7
10-06-2011, 04:00 PM
How often do you guys get ur door panels (hinges/locks) lubricated? I went to this car detail shop to get paint sealant on before winter for $100. The guy there told me to first get rust protection for $100 on door panels before i get paint sealant. I was like how does it make a difference? like why should i get rust protection on door panels before getting paint sealant on the car exterior which is exposed the most. My car is only a year old but my car manual says to get door/hinges lubricated every 4 months.

Can he make you a good deal on new piston return springs as well?

If your car is in good enough shape that all you need is a sealant I would say just wash/clay/seal yourself and then you know its done right and you'll spend less than the $100 even if you have to buy soap/clay/sealant.