PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a pure polish

bowtie
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
I would like to try a pure polish if there's one available that won't stain. Also I'll be working by hand. Thanks

Kitoy22
10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
try to look at megs show car glaze 7 or megs deep crystal system polish. These are pure polish products. I don't know if this will suit your purpose but try to look also into CG's EZ creme glaze. :xyxthumbs:

tw33k2514
10-05-2011, 07:19 PM
CG's EZ Creme Glaze is very good stuff.

FUNX650
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I would like to try a pure polish if there's one available that won't stain. Also I'll be working by hand. Thanks

If by a "pure polish" you mean having no abrasives, then Meguiar's #7 is the ticket.

I thought that Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze contained abrasives....don't know if that disqualifies it as a pure polish in someone's eyes or not...to me it does.

Bob

bowtie
10-05-2011, 10:11 PM
If by a "pure polish" you mean having no abrasives, then Meguiar's #7 is the ticket.

I thought that Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze contained abrasives....don't know if that disqualifies it as a pure polish in someone's eyes or not...to me it does.

Bob

You are correct no abrasives, I read about EZ Creme and it appears to have some abrasive/fillers.
I believe Megs 7 stains easily, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to stay away from staining if possible.

JonMiles
10-05-2011, 10:45 PM
what is your intended use?

if you are worried about staining, just be a little more careful around trim and keep it on the paint.

cutter
10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
what is your intended use?

if you are worried about staining, just be a little more careful around trim and keep it on the paint.

Also, painter's tape will help keep the polish away from trim...a little prep work saves a lot of work later!

dtuna42
10-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Want to try something cheaper than M07, and off the shelf locally? Get Megs Deep Crystal System Polish (Red Bottle - Step 2).

The Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish and Step 3 Deep Crystal System Carnauba wax are fairly similar to using M07 and M26, especially applying by hand on a newer clear-coat car.

BobbyG
10-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Also, painter's tape will help keep the polish away from trim...a little prep work saves a lot of work later!

This is something that takes very little time to apply bit saves allot of time on the other end re-detailing. :props:

sal329
10-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Poorboys Pro Polish

Mike Phillips
10-06-2011, 07:48 AM
You are correct no abrasives, I read about EZ Creme and it appears to have some abrasive/fillers.
I believe Megs 7 stains easily, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to stay away from staining if possible.

M07 is non-abrasive and very oily and for this reason it doesn't really dry white and powder but at the same time you should avoid getting any company's compound or polish on things like the cursed, black pebble textured trim because it impacts into the rough grain and then overtime the stain appears and because of the texture of the plastic it's hard to remove 100% without also damaging the appearance of the textured plastic.

M07 has caused a lot of confusion over the years because it's misunderstood. It doesn't provide any protection at all and was never meant too (that's what a car wax is for). It is for maximizing the richness of color and creating a wet looking gloss but these characteristics are best seen and produced on single stage paints which are porous. You can use it on a clear coat finish but most people don't see the 'wow' factor like seen with single stage paints.

If you're working on a clear coat finish and you want a non-abrasive, pure polish then check out M81 Hand Polish as this is a modern version of #7 specifically formulated for clear coat paints.

The way you apply both is to apply, spread over the paint and gently work-in, and then immediately wipe off the excess and move on to a new section.

Seasoned Pros will apply to the entire panel and even to an entire car and then remove but you need excellent wiping techniques to remove it without marring the paint at the same time because they can both become more difficult to remove as they dry. (They are not intended to be allowed to dry).

:)

FUNX650
10-06-2011, 08:13 AM

Meg's #7 is usually touted for SS paint. Although modern clear-coat paint film surfaces are said to be considerably less porous (especially ones that haven't been broadly abraded/neglected) than SS, I've used it on BC/CC paint systems as well. To what extent the #7 has been absorbed into a BC/CC paint system, compared to a SS paint system, is no doubt, up for debate.

I apply either a trim-protectant product formulated for textured plastic....tape-up....and try not to go hog-wild or pig-crazy with any products that I apply to all the other vehicles' surfaces.

Staining of trim (textured?):
Meg's #7 doesn't "dry" white....If, in fact, it ever completely "dries".....

:)

Bob

Edit: OOPS! Mike P. already answered this concern....Thanks Mike for the M81 tip...It slipped my mind at the moment!