PDA

View Full Version : Baking Soda

Ted S.
10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone ever try using baking soda to deodorize carpets/seats?

Success?

I'm trying it right now. Shook some Baking Soda all over the carpet in my s10, and I'm going to vacuum it all up in about 15 minutes. Got the idea off some crap my mom bought.:xyxthumbs:

I will get back.

Flash Gordon
10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Can't hurt

Ted S.
10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Can't hurt

Only if you forget to vacuum up some of the white chunks. I can see it being quite problematic getting pulled over by the cops with white powder.chuck all over the carpet.

20 minutes didn't make a huge difference in the level of odor. I will have to try this again another day with more BS and more time.

D.Acker
10-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I have used it,but I put in an open tupperware container and let it sit in the car for a few days. The door must not have gotten completely closed and some rain got in, passenger side carpet was damp and had that mildew scent. Vacuumed really well to suck as much water out, then let the baking soda absorb the rest of the moisture and odor.

Flash Gordon
10-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Only if you forget to vacuum up some of the white chunks. I can see it being quite problematic getting pulled over by the cops with white powder.chuck all over the carpet.

20 minutes didn't make a huge difference in the level of odor. I will have to try this again another day with more BS and more time.

I can loan you some BS....I'm full of it :)

Ted S.
10-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I can loan you some BS....I'm full of it :)

I think I have enough to last a few more weeks. When the next school Term starts, I will trade you some 303 Cleaner for some BS.Im the MAN:laughing:

I am out of Baking Soda, however.

foamingcarwash
10-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Baking Soda:
Yes this works great!! I usual let it sit for about an hour or so. My first step on every vehicle is to vacuum all carpet/mats sprinkle BS then continue with another task eventually come back and re-vacuum

Ted S.
10-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Baking Soda:
Yes this works great!! I usual let it sit for about an hour or so. My first step on every vehicle is to vacuum all carpet/mats sprinkle BS then continue with another task eventually come back and re-vacuum

This is what I am considering starting to do. I just need to make sure it works for me before I go gung-ho.:props:

I Shine
10-05-2011, 02:35 AM
I used to sprinkle carpet fresh (baking soda) on the carpets in my home once a month. After a good vacuuming they did smell fresher. A few years ago I pulled up my carpets to do an acid etched stain project. Under the carpet there was so much carpet fresh I could write my name in it.

FUNX650
10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) can be likened to WD-40 in its versatility of uses.

Don't know the kinds of 'aromas' your wanting to remove, but baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is excellent for those on the surface of the carpet caused by acidic-laden molecules....not so well on those that have penetrated down into the padding, IMO.

As a freshner/odor-masking product...much better than products made from petro-chemicals...including the rear-view mirror "trees", and aerosol sprays.

If you're going to use baking soda...You can purchase bulk sodium bicarb at most plumbing supply, pool&spa, and feed stores...same stuff....much less expensive than Arm&Hammer or Clabber Girl.

One use is for personal hygiene (ex: toothpaste/mouthwash/deoderant....I once suggested to the wife to use some for her personal hygiene with mixed results, though :bash:)

Something I learned in chemistry class: To impress the kids, I would show them how to make a volcano---Pour some vinegar (acetic acid) onto a pile of baking soda.

Also, perhaps, then, could that the same "volcanic-mixture" be sprinkled on the 'nether-region'...resulting in a fantabulous blumpkin??!!

:)

Bob