PDA

View Full Version : Winter Wax Test

Pages : [1] 2

Setec Astronomy
10-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Well, the new issue of Consumer Reports rates waxes for winter prep. Suprisingly ( :p ), no BFWD, Collinite, or Zaino on the list...the top spot overall in liquid waxes was Meg's NXT, but the durability got a :bash:. The top spot in pastes and the top durability in liquids went to...wait for it...Nu Finish! (Turtle Wax Ice paste tied for durability).

Before you guys go off in a huff, you know they only test OTC products, and Nu Finish has been one of their favorites for as long as I can remember.

mackdaddyhibble
10-04-2011, 10:01 AM
You know when you do test,you control the selection of test products,so I don't find it that unusual that they don't test anything other than OTC.Then again who is there readership geared for?probably those that go to Auto Parts Store,buy some wax and think their detailing a car.

Setec Astronomy
10-04-2011, 10:11 AM
To their credit they did say that the most important thing is to wash the car frequently (unfortunately they didn't add "use a mild wash intended for cars because detergents like dish soap may strip your wax"), and noted that you will need to rewax every 2-3 months to maintain protection.

nickelanddime
10-04-2011, 11:21 AM
I know there are better products but is NuFinish really that bad, how much harm could it do?

dtuna42
10-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I've used it before on daily drivers, and from what I remember, I liked it at that time.

(My original post here: What is Nu-Finish anyway - Polymers? Teflon? Wax blend?)

Then I found my own answer from their website before my edit option expired:

"Nu Finish is made up of a series of zinc cross-linking polymer emulsions that help it last longer than any other polish on the market."

My chemistry is fairly weak, but I think that may just be a fancy way of saying "silicone fillers". Maybe someone on here can correct me if wrong?

Flash Gordon
10-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Nu Finish commercial - 1990 - YouTube

Look at the AWESOME beading action after 52 car washes....good thing they didn't use a 911 for their commercial

XLNTShine
10-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Look at the AWESOME beading action after 52 car washes....good thing they didn't use a 911 for their commercial

:haha::thankyousign:

BTW is that a Dodge K car?

Flash Gordon
10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
BTW is that a Dodge K car?

Why yes it is as a matter of fact. I bought one for $200 once, and everytime it rained the car wouldn't start. Other then that, it was a wonderful beater car

BobbyG
10-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Allot of what's out there is targeted at the general consumer and most have never heard of the products we've grown to rely on.

Ted S.
10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Consumer reports tends to only test products that "consumers" don't have to look for; they can just go out and buy at Target, Wal*Mart, etc.

Haven't been a big fan of them for a while now.

Setec Astronomy
10-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Guys, this was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I'm not suggesting that CR knows more about "car wax" than we do, or that their target audience is anything like us.

I'm always amused by their "insights" into things automotive, although they have come a ways from when they reviewed the original RX-7 in what, 1978, and didn't like it because you could bang your head on the hatch latch while you were in the back (I always pick my sports car based on noggin-safety of the hatchback area).

slimnib
10-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Guys, this was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I'm not suggesting that CR knows more about "car wax" than we do, or that their target audience is anything like us.

I'm always amused by their "insights" into things automotive, although they have come a ways from when they reviewed the original RX-7 in what, 1978, and didn't like it because you could bang your head on the hatch latch while you were in the back (I always pick my sports car based on noggin-safety of the hatchback area).

Maybe you should have.

CAMAROZL1
10-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I hate to say it but before I found this site I looked at CR to see if they had anything on waxes. Im glad I four AG before I made a decision.

Rsurfer
10-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Nu Finish commercial - 1990 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EvRFY6BTFY)

Wow, those are some tight beads.:cry:

ziggo99
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM

They also didn't like the Lotus Elise for being too low to the ground, a rough ride, and no passenger air bag cutoff switch. I don't rely on CR for wax tests. I do, however, rely on CR for most everything else. They aren't bought out by companies for good reviews and have a made a huge impact on the items we use day in and day out.