PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressings....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

cutter
10-04-2011, 08:16 AM
What do you use and how long does it last?

DaHen
10-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Used a number of tire dressing products. But lately have been using Griot's Vinyl & Rubber Dressing of which I am happy with.
Don't know how long it last. Just started using it plus I reapply some after I wash the vehicle anyway.

Did grab some of Autoglym's Vinyl & Rubber Care when I was in Pep Boys. Gonna try it next.

(I know, I know, why did I buy Autoglyms when I am happy with Griots!!!!!!! lol.)

SeaJay's
10-04-2011, 08:47 AM
I've use a lot of different tire dressings...

303 Aerospace - Great look, but durability isn't great. Especially after rain

Megs Hot Shine - Never liked this product - way too shiny for me

Tire N Trim dressing - Detail King product - Not a bad look and durability was about a week.

Turtle Wax Tire Dressing - This was an oldie...don't use it anymore

Wolfgang Black Diamond - I use to love the old formula of this product. It left the perfect finish on the tire and lasted weeks. Then the formula changed, which made it easier for application but the durability isn't as good anymore.

DP Tire Gel - Nice matte finish and durability was a week or 2

Pinnacle Black Onyx - Great look reminds me of the old WG formula. Testing durability now...

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard - OK look in my opinion and definitely has the longest durability out of everything I have tried. I personally like dark tires with either a matte finish or a slight sheen. This doesn't darken the tires as much as I'd like but the durability is fantastic.

There are probably many others I have missed but this gives you an idea.

cutter
10-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Used a number of tire dressing products. But lately have been using Griot's Vinyl & Rubber Dressing of which I am happy with.
Don't know how long it last. Just started using it plus I reapply some after I wash the vehicle anyway.

Did grab some of Autoglym's Vinyl & Rubber Care when I was in Pep Boys. Gonna try it next.

(I know, I know, why did I buy Autoglyms when I am happy with Griots!!!!!!! lol.)

I totally understand buying more when you don't need it...I can't tell you how many times I've bought the "FLAVOR OF THE MONTH" and really didn't need it.

Thanks for your response!

cutter
10-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I've use a lot of different tire dressings...

303 Aerospace - Great look, but durability isn't great. Especially after rain

Megs Hot Shine - Never liked this product - way too shiny for me

Tire N Trim dressing - Detail King product - Not a bad look and durability was about a week.

Turtle Wax Tire Dressing - This was an oldie...don't use it anymore

Wolfgang Black Diamond - I use to love the old formula of this product. It left the perfect finish on the tire and lasted weeks. Then the formula changed, which made it easier for application but the durability isn't as good anymore.

DP Tire Gel - Nice matte finish and durability was a week or 2

Pinnacle Black Onyx - Great look reminds me of the old WG formula. Testing durability now...

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard - OK look in my opinion and definitely has the longest durability out of everything I have tried. I personally like dark tires with either a matte finish or a slight sheen. This doesn't darken the tires as much as I'd like but the durability is fantastic.

There are probably many others I have missed but this gives you an idea.

Recently I have been using Black Diamond Tire Gel and I liked it at first, then it seemed to be a pain to apply, the longevity wasn't there either.

I've tried Meg's Hyper Dressing and easy to apply, too shiny and dosen't seem to last.

I have the 303, I may try that but it's kind of pricey.

Thanks for your input!!

SeaJay's
10-04-2011, 09:03 AM
I have the 303, I may try that but it's kind of pricey.

Thanks for your input!!

I typically buy the 303 by the case so it's a little better price wise that way.

Setec Astronomy
10-04-2011, 09:30 AM
FWIW, I get wildly different longevity depending on how I prep the tire. If I do a good scrub with an alkaline cleaner, I can get the dressing to last through rainstorms that I never could have without the prep.

Since I used to play the flavor-of-the-month game, I've been trying to get through all my tire dressings and find out which one I like best. Right now I'm using Poorboy's BnB (a little too shiny for me). Also an older bottle of Optimum Tire Shine which is just right, but I think the newer stuff is probably shinier. I have an older bottle of Zaino which seems to be the same as the current DG 253, and that is probably my favorite, it just gives a dark matte appearance, the only problem is it's really thin and goes a long way so it takes forever to use it up to move on to the next one!

SeaJay's
10-04-2011, 09:32 AM
FWIW, I get wildly different longevity depending on how I prep the tire. If I do a good scrub with an alkaline cleaner, I can get the dressing to last through rainstorms that I never could have without the prep.

Since I used to play the flavor-of-the-month game, I've been trying to get through all my tire dressings and find out which one I like best. Right now I'm using Poorboy's BnB (a little too shiny for me). Also an older bottle of Optimum Tire Shine which is just right, but I think the newer stuff is probably shinier. I have an older bottle of Zaino which seems to be the same as the current DG 253, and that is probably my favorite, it just gives a dark matte appearance, the only problem is it's really thin and goes a long way so it takes forever to use it up to move on to the next one!

I hear you on trying to get through tire dressings...

I have 2 gallons of DP tire gel that I have barely put a dent in. 2 Bottles of WG Black Diamond, etc etc....the list goes on...I think I have enough tire dressing to last me a life time.

CEE DOG
10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Currently I use PERL...Nothing makes a look this nice if you apply 2-3 thin coats 1:1 (spray and wipe) let coats dry before applying next coat. The word lasts is a tricky word with tire dressings. It depends greatly on how much rainy driving you see. On my outside cars I saw 2 weeks looking good with rain. After that it started to be faded in some areas. Now on my garaged Sky it still looks almost brand new after a month. Im the MAN

Other notables for tires:

UTTG lasts forever but is not super black.

DP similar to perl in it's length of life on d/d tires

Opti-bond another gorgeous looking tire- doesn't dry to the touch as good as the first three I mentioned.

Black onyx, was loving the look until I found PERL but it doesn't last

calhoun1
10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
I am a fan of the Pinnacle Black Onyx currently. It seems to have a 2 week durability. The shine only stays until the first rain or about 3-5 days. For the rest of the 2 weeks you can tell the tires are clean, but they dont have the freshly dressed shine.

Jimmie
10-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I use Optimum Tire Shine; DP Gel; Surf City depending on desired level of shine.
Hard to say how long any last since I reapply almost every wash. Wild guess I'd say 3 weeks max on any.

Scott DeBrun
10-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I've tried quite a few but right now I like Dr. Beasley's tire conditioner. The shine will fade after a good scrubbing but the tire remains nice and black for at least 3 weeks. The shine is between a matte and shiny which suits me fine because I do like some shine on my tires.

T.O.C.
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Meguair's Gold Class Trim Restorer. During the summer for the daily driver. leaves just enough shine and last's for a week or better.

For customer tires at the shop they get hyper diluted 3:1
For the dealership cars they get Hyper undiluted

Setec Astronomy
10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Meguair's Gold Class Trim Restorer. During the summer for the daily driver. leaves just enough shine and last's for a week or better.

Boy, I've got 2 bottles of that from 2003 or 2004...I'll have to try it on tires some time.

poweraid
10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I like opti-bond . but lately I've been goin commando on my truck . those big truck tires with aggressive sidewall biters are just a pain to do .