PDA

View Full Version : Quick Clarification

Pages : [1] 2

CAMAROZL1
10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Just bought my fiancee brand new 2012 Cruze will a clay bar hurt the clear coat or can I start the claying it asap?

Buckskincolt
10-03-2011, 09:00 PM
IMOH Clay it, the paints from the factory are hard and can be clayed and polished. I think the paints go through a curing process that makes them totally cured when shipped. Others will chime in I'm sure.

embolism
10-03-2011, 09:01 PM
a fine grade clay bar and plenty of lube should not mar the finish.

If the paint feels like it needs it, then clay away!

CAMAROZL1
10-03-2011, 09:19 PM
a fine grade clay bar and plenty of lube should not mar the finish.

If the paint feels like it needs it, then clay away!

will be using Pinnacle Clay. It's a new car and feels like it but want to make sure I won't damage the car

Jimmie
10-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Use to be a very accepted process. The rationale was by the time it was completed sat in lots; went through the shipping process; enough time had lapsed. Pinnacle clay is perfect IMO. I'd clay whether it seems to need it or not just to get that one spot that might have some rail dust. OCD I guess.

longdx
10-03-2011, 09:55 PM
First off, congratulations on the new car for your girlfriend. The new Chevy Cruze is getting rave reviews and looks to be the real deal in small cars. Claying is appropriate as "jimmie" stated. The car's paint can be contaminated by a variety of things after it leaves the plant (Transportation,time at dealer lots, et al)

CAMAROZL1
10-03-2011, 10:00 PM
First off, congratulations on the new car for your girlfriend. The new Chevy Cruze is getting rave reviews and looks to be the real deal in small cars. Claying is appropriate as "jimmie" stated. The car's paint can be contaminated by a variety of things after it leaves the plant (Transportation,time at dealer lots, et al)

thank you and yes thats why we went with it. the car is smooth to drive and handles awesome. once my purchase comes in the mail will have pics up to show

opie_7afe
10-03-2011, 10:14 PM
no the claybar will not hurt the paint unless a large piece of grit gets in the clay or you use too aggressive of a clay, as others have said even if its a new car it will have some ASBC's on the paint. however claying may remove the wax on the car so you will need to reapply some protection.remember to knead the clay after each panel and keep the surface wet with clay lube.might want to get some type of paint decontamination product also like iron-x or wolf chemicals decon gel. what color is this cruze? and i'm hoping the dealer didn't give you the fancy dealer installed swirl option!.

p.s ASBC=Above Surface Bonded Contaminants.

onlycodered
10-03-2011, 10:56 PM
You may want to give the Ultima Elastrofoam kit a try. I was skeptical at first but after using it on a couple vehicles I don't think I'll be using regular clay again unless I absolutely need to. It's really nice because you don't need to knead it at all. Just rinse it and you're good to go.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

WRAPT C5Z06
10-03-2011, 11:02 PM
What color is the car?

CAMAROZL1
10-04-2011, 08:34 AM
What color is the car?

The car is blue. Ill get some pictures up by end of day today. When we got the car I told them not to touch it and not to wash it ( huge argument there) Ill be using the pinnacle clay kit WG swirl (there are small swirls I can see), glaze, and sealant. Ill be using the DP wheel cleaners kit (thanks for advice Mark) and will be topping off with Fuzion. I don't need to immediately wax ca if I'm doing these other steps first correct?

SeaJay's
10-04-2011, 08:41 AM
The car is blue. Ill get some pictures up by end of day today. When we got the car I told them not to touch it and not to wash it ( huge argument there) Ill be using the pinnacle clay kit WG swirl (there are small swirls I can see), glaze, and sealant. Ill be using the DP wheel cleaners kit (thanks for advice Mark) and will be topping off with Fuzion. I don't need to immediately wax ca if I'm doing these other steps first correct?

If your sealing the car then you need to wait at least 24 hours before topping it with a wax.

Honestly I would skip the glaze if you plan on correcting the paint anyway. I would correct the swirls, seal with whatever sealant you use, wait 24 hours, then top with Fuzion. You'll be more than happy with those results.

Ensure after you correct the paint that you remove all oils with either an IPA wipe down or a product made for removing polishing oils such as Eraser (I have yet to try this product).

IME Chevy paint is pretty hard. So, depending on how bad the swirls are and how deep they are you may have to get a little more aggressive with it. Definitely give what you have a try first. Should do a good job if the swirls are minor.

Good luck and post pics!

embolism
10-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Jason, I think he is using the WG finishing glaze (finishing polish) so don't skip it!

CAMAROZL1
10-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Jason, I think he is using the WG finishing glaze (finishing polish) so don't skip it!Im the MAN

SeaJay's
10-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Jason, I think he is using the WG finishing glaze (finishing polish) so don't skip it!

My bad! Don't skip it! lol.