PDA

View Full Version : I hate Corvettes!!

Pages : [1] 2

D_Nyholm
10-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Just posting a little rant about a car I did and asking for some suggestions on the next time i experience a Corvette. I did a black 2001 C5 Corvette today. The customer only wanted a single step polish and the car had never been polished before me. I did a 2 step (SIP/Cyan then D151/Tangerine) on the hood and it got almost 100 correction out of that, but it was a repaint. I should not have started on the good because i went to the first fender with Cyan/D151 hoping i'd get some correction and since the clear is supposed to be so hard, a good finish as well. Well, i got very little correction and was left with a hazy finish (all using a Flex DA). I ended up actually making this a partial two step as I used the D151/Cyan over the whole car and then did a quick D151/Tangerine over the car to clear up the hazyness left behind. Honestly, the car came out much better than i had expected and the customer was VERY happy with the outcome, but it ended up being about 2 hours longer than I had anticipated for the correction I would normally get out of a 1 step.

Now for the questions. What are you all using for 1 steps on corvettes? Are you actually getting any correction out of them or did you get any hazyness left on the paint afterward? I've done BMW's with the Cyan pad and D151 before and ended up with a beautiful finish, just can't figure out what was different here. I guess I could have just used the Tangerine and D151 and called it a day, but the amount of correction would have been laughable. Let me know your opinions on what i should do next time. I have Menzerna polishes, Meguiars Polishes, Poorboys Polishes, LC Hydrotech, CCS, and Flat pads, PC, Flex, and Makita.

JonMiles
10-03-2011, 04:02 PM
A test section is beneficial for 1 step. You can fine tune your approach before attacking the entire car and finding out you should have gone with a different approach. No 2 cars are exactly the same and sometimes a different approach is needed than your usual.

Timbrr
10-03-2011, 04:14 PM
I have a 2003 black Vette and always tell people black is not a color it's a career. I have very good luck using Menzerna SIP (white or orange pad) depending on what I'm correcting. I follow that with Menzerna Nano with a black pad. That combonation will remove the defects and the haze. I'm sure someone else will also have some suggestions for you.

D_Nyholm
10-03-2011, 04:30 PM
A test section is beneficial for 1 step. You can fine tune your approach before attacking the entire car and finding out you should have gone with a different approach. No 2 cars are exactly the same and sometimes a different approach is needed than your usual.

Yeah, i did the test section. First with a Cyan Pad (too much haze) and then with the tangerine pad (not enough correction). I guess I should have tried a white pad, but I had already told myself i'd turn it into a partial 2 step, so that was my fault :(

I wish I could have done a full correction on this car as it would have turned out great. It surely was beautiful car.

ScottB
10-03-2011, 06:03 PM
with a repaint not sure .. but for a 1-step perhaps PowerFinish would have worked.

BobbyG
10-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I've used Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA. If the finish has a moderate amount of swirls I like to start with a white foam pad and finish with a gray foam pad or even a blue foam pad.

Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA is one of those "do all" polishes. It has a moderate cut but finishes out to an outstanding gloss. :props:

D_Nyholm
10-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I've used Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA. If the finish has a moderate amount of swirls I like to start with a white foam pad and finish with a gray foam pad or even a blue foam pad.

Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA is one of those "do all" polishes. It has a moderate cut but finishes out to an outstanding gloss. :props:

I have Super Finish but didn't think to use it. I always use it as my finish polish as it doesn't seem to have much cut and like you said, makes an outstanding gloss.

I am thinking that Power Finish would have been a good polish to use instead of the D151 (though it probably has similar cut with SMAT instead of DAT).

guess23959
10-03-2011, 06:41 PM
in my opinion, you cant hate corvettes just because this particular one didnt come out the way you planned, plus like you mentioned it was repainted. the vette is theeee most iconic and longest production sports car EVER. personally im not a vette person, but i dont hate them. if i had the opportunity to detail a vette that was not repainted and was in excellent shape id jump on it. but then again thats just my 2 pennies.

BobbyG
10-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I have Super Finish but didn't think to use it. I always use it as my finish polish as it doesn't seem to have much cut and like you said, makes an outstanding gloss.

I am thinking that Power Finish would have been a good polish to use instead of the D151 (though it probably has similar cut with SMAT instead of DAT).

Trying to recommend a solution based on a description is challenging from the readers perspective and considering the additional variables of machine, pads, and technique also adds to the challenge.

Menzerna Power Finish does have more cut than Menzerna Super Finish and it may have been a better choice.

Choosing the best product is not always that easy and takes soom testing to see which performs the best. You uncovered an additional variable as a section of the car had been refinished....

D_Nyholm
10-03-2011, 07:37 PM
in my opinion, you cant hate corvettes just because this particular one didnt come out the way you planned, plus like you mentioned it was repainted. the vette is theeee most iconic and longest production sports car EVER. personally im not a vette person, but i dont hate them. if i had the opportunity to detail a vette that was not repainted and was in excellent shape id jump on it. but then again thats just my 2 pennies.

Lol, i was joking about hating the corvette, it was just a way to get people to look at the thread! :) Sorry if I offended!!

05xrunner
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
i dont know how the vette paint is compared to the impala paint..I did my neighbors car its a 2008 black Impala SS and I used the Megs Finishing disc with Menzerna Power finish and it came out really nice. Worked very well for a 1stepper..it obviously wasnt full correction but the defects were very hard to see that were still left behind and had to look for them instead of jumping out at you

opie_7afe
10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
i hate corvettes also, then again corvette is made by GM and i hate gm cars, don't mean i wont ever work on one for money! I've just had bad luck with GM seems like after the cars hit 100k miles they go down hill faster then an avalanche.....the trucks usually run forever for some odd reason!...i don't like many american made cars,i won't even get japanese cars that are made in america, because in other countries not everyone treats cars as disposable they try to keep them as long as possible so the engineering is made towards this, here in america they know most people get new cars every 3-5 years. japanese cars body panels may not be the best but the engines last forever.....there are very few american cars i will own now, i will either go with something European or Asian. i need to find me a nice AIO product thinking d151 would be a good one but not too sure as i am sorta partial to meguiars products as they have always worked as intended even surpassed the results i was expecting by using meguiars....

courtdale
10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I have a 2003 black Vette and always tell people black is not a color it's a career. I have very good luck using Menzerna SIP (white or orange pad) .

If this were a class, I would take it. Bare minimum, I think there should be a sub forum titled "Black".

331TwistedWedge
10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
come on guys.............no love for the vettes in here, lol ...

yes compared to other cars, its a tough car to correct ... i was striving for perfection and spent all winter on mine ... i was new, still new and fought the 105 every step of the way ... so i dont hate vettes, but i love/hate the 105 ...

WRAPT C5Z06
10-03-2011, 10:29 PM
If any car is re-painted, you'll have to figure out with a test spot how hard(or soft) the clear is. You should do a test spot, regardless, but if it's not a factory clear, you'll have zero idea what you're dealing with.