PDA

View Full Version : OPC on leather?

Pages : [1] 2

flyinion
10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I just want to make sure I'm going to be using a safe ratio as I've read some various comments and am not sure now. I was planning on mixing up a batch of 3:1 for interior use. I know this should be safe for most of the plastic/etc. in the cars but I was also planning on using it to clean the leather (dark charcoal color) on my girlfriend's new 2011 Altima (less than a month old) before coating it with Ultima IGP. Should 3:1 be safe for that? Anyone have experience with OPC and recent model year Nissan leather?

edit: Just a side question here, I know it's not specifically mentioned in the product description, but can it be used to spot clean cloth seats?

IOMCAMARO
10-03-2011, 01:56 PM
If it is that new I would go with a 10:1 dilution all around. To me 3:1 is too strong on leather especially if it is a brand new car. 3:1 also seems too soapy to wipe up IMO.

embolism
10-03-2011, 02:22 PM
is this the old OPC or the new formula?

new should be diluted more as it is 20% stronger

Chris Thomas
10-03-2011, 02:36 PM
The new version is just as safe as the original even full strength. I use it 1:1 all the time on leather seats with great results. I spray the section, spread it so it doesn't run, agitate it with a soft bristle brush or Terry towel, then wipe it down with a damp MF or follow up with Optimum Protectant Plus. If you ever have a problem it will be related to letting it run or sometimes it will remove color from a redye (never happens with factory coated seats).

Yes you can use it on cloth, but it need to be rinsed or at least followed with a damp cloth to remove any residual cleaners.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

Ron Atchison
10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Just a thought, but wouldn't OOC be a safer way to go concidering how new the car is? Surely there can't be that much to clean. I've used it on leather in the house and it worked great. Or are you concerned about the little bit of protectant it leaves behind messing up the Ultima IGP?

WRAPT C5Z06
10-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Use it @ 10:1. No need to go any stronger on new leather(even though it's just as safe).

CEE DOG
10-03-2011, 03:18 PM
And wipe it with a damp towel afterwards before drying it or giving it a few minutes to dry.

flyinion
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks all, yes it is the new formula that I ordered Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner 128 oz. Refill New & Improved! (http://www.autogeek.net/128oz-optimum-power-clean-apc.html) I had already planned on wiping down after with a damp cloth as well on both the leather and my car's cloth seats if I used it on them. So, will 10:1 be strong enough to clean the rest of the interior with as well? Was trying to get away with mixing one bottle for interior use and then keep a bottle of straight OPC for engine cleaning unless 3:1 or 10:1 is enough for that too. Obviously the new car has a clean engine, mine is also fairly clean. I want to clean them up before using some of the 303 stuff in the engine bays.

richy
10-03-2011, 03:42 PM
I use it at 3:1 and then steam it off and dry it. Follow up UIGP for killer results.

IOMCAMARO
10-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I use 3:1 for engine and tires all of the time with great results and that is with the old formula, so I'm sure 3:1 with the new is definitely ok for that.

flyinion
10-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I use 3:1 for engine and tires all of the time with great results and that is with the old formula, so I'm sure 3:1 with the new is definitely ok for that.

Sounds good, maybe I'll do a 3:1 and 10:1 bottle and that way if I need stronger, it's ready without being full strength unless really needed. I don't think I'd really need full strength since the engines are pretty clean and the wheels don't have baked on dust or anything.

I use it at 3:1 and then steam it off and dry it. Follow up UIGP for killer results.

If only I owned a steamer hehe.

flyinion
10-14-2011, 02:38 AM
Thanks guys finally got to try the 3:1 and 10:1 out on both cars in the last week. 3:1 worked great in the engine bays and wheels, 10:1 everywhere else inside. I wasn't sure if I needed to "rinse" with a damp cloth so I did anyway because I was putting UIGP on the interiors and 303 in the engine bays. I didn't know if OPC would leave any residue behind that might interfere.

Side note, the $1 Home Depot spray bottles have horrible sprayers. Had one snap off the screw on base mid-detail tonight :( Oh well, guess that's what I get for going cheap on the spray bottles.

dad07
10-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys finally got to try the 3:1 and 10:1 out on both cars in the last week. 3:1 worked great in the engine bays and wheels, 10:1 everywhere else inside. I wasn't sure if I needed to "rinse" with a damp cloth so I did anyway because I was putting UIGP on the interiors and 303 in the engine bays. I didn't know if OPC would leave any residue behind that might interfere.

Side note, the $1 Home Depot spray bottles have horrible sprayers. Had one snap off the screw on base mid-detail tonight :( Oh well, guess that's what I get for going cheap on the spray bottles.

I,ve had the same problem with HD bottles,I've been getting mine at autozone $2.50 each with a chemical resistant sprayer.

fredcandetail
10-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Oh noooooooo not again
Use a Terry cloth and warm water and save your money

TheCougarGuy
10-14-2011, 09:22 AM
When did Autogeek start shipping the new formula? I'm not sure which one I have. I bought it about 3-4 months ago.