PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaning when doing a rinseless wash

Pages : [1] 2

cwpcasey
10-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I was wondering what you guys do to clean your wheels when your at a job or doing a rinse-less wash on a car? Just curios cause your trying not to lug out the hose and do the whole process.

flyinion
10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I know when I bought my ONR I watched a video for it on Optimum's website (I think it was on their site) and the guy used it and a separate microfiber to wash the wheels and then dried them. He didn't use a separate wheel cleaner, just the ONR solution.

alko
10-03-2011, 01:45 PM
thanks for bringing this up...I was thinking about this this morning. I'm fittin to get some ONR for maintaining the car during the winter in the garage.

rcomito
10-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I spray on the ONR, let is sit for a short time, and use brushes to agitate. Spray again and wipe off.

Rick

alko
10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
I spray on the ONR, let is sit for a short time, and use brushes to agitate. Spray again and wipe off.

Rick

What dilution ratio are you using?

Chris Thomas
10-03-2011, 01:51 PM
You have a few options:

1. presoak with power clean, agitate, wash with ONR (use dedicated wheel towels and change your ONR before washing paint...or use what you have left over after doing the body).

2. presoak with power clean, agitate, rinse with water from a garden sprayer.

3. clean and pressure wash at a self serve then ONR at home.

4.clean and pressure wash at home then proceed with ONR for the body.

These are only a few examples off the top of my head that I've used before with excellent results.:xyxthumbs:

silverfox
10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
With a 4 gallon batch, I can do an entire car and still have some left over for the wheels/barrels, etc. I use a Daytona wheel brush, but there are other similar brushes out there that work equally as well. I like the flexibility it has. You can wrap a MF towel around the brush to wipe wheels off...or hit it with a leaf blower. A small detailing brush is good to clean the lug nut areas with.

rcomito
10-03-2011, 02:24 PM
What dilution ratio are you using?

Hi Alex,

I just use the recommended ratio (2 caps to 2 gallons, I think)
and pour some into a spray bottle.

Rick

SeaJay's
10-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I know when I bought my ONR I watched a video for it on Optimum's website (I think it was on their site) and the guy used it and a separate microfiber to wash the wheels and then dried them. He didn't use a separate wheel cleaner, just the ONR solution.

This is exactly what I do.

Works great especially if the wheels have been coated with a wheel wax or UTTG.

TornadoRed
10-03-2011, 06:43 PM
1) wash car per instructions
2) pour leftover rinseless solution into wheel bucket
3) spray QD strength rinseless solution on wheels
4) soak a microfiber towel that's been dedicated to wheel washing in wheel bucket
5) wash each wheel with soaked microfiber and dry with a dedicated wheel microfiber
6) squeegee garage floor

Old Tiger
10-03-2011, 06:52 PM
1) wash car per instructions
2) pour leftover rinseless solution into wheel bucket
3) spray QD strength rinseless solution on wheels
4) soak a microfiber towel that's been dedicated to wheel washing in wheel bucket
5) wash each wheel with soaked microfiber and dry with a dedicated wheel microfiber
6) squeegee garage floor
Great summary. I always forget step 6! You can also mix up Opti Clean and spray on and wipe off with a dedicated towel.

Judge
10-03-2011, 07:31 PM
With a 4 gallon batch, I can do an entire car and still have some left over for the wheels/barrels, etc. I use a Daytona wheel brush, but there are other similar brushes out there that work equally as well. I like the flexibility it has. You can wrap a MF towel around the brush to wipe wheels off...or hit it with a leaf blower. A small detailing brush is good to clean the lug nut areas with.

I like that idea of wrapping a towel around a brush to get the inner wheels. I've always left the barrel of the rims alone when doing a rinseless wash because I didn't have a way to dry them but this should help. I suppose another method would be to clean in there with onr and then use a leaf blower to dry.

Flash Gordon
10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
What are you suppose to do with the filthy water left on the ground?

clintb
10-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Take a bath in it since you'll likely be dirtier than the wash water. :)

TornadoRed
10-03-2011, 11:18 PM

It evaporates and rains ONR to the east of me. You're welcome.