PDA

View Full Version : I got my sealant on and buffed off... and then it rained.

babelfish
10-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Using Menz Power Lock. Applied sealant, waited an hour, buffed off, and maybe two hours later we got a light rain, and the water sat on the car all night.

This morning, the water was beaded up on the car (since I clayed and used 105/205 prior to the sealant, I doubt this was any residual product left on the paint), and a mile down the road, the hood was nearly completely dry from the water rolling off as the air flowed over it.

So, I'm guessing what I've got here is just a poorly-cured product which won't have much longevity. Sound right? I mean, it looks like it's doing its job for the moment. Unfortunately, the car lives outside, and there won't be a chance to get it under cover until this coming weekend. And, given that I live in the Pacific Northwet (that is not a typo), there's almost no chance of a rain-free day in the near future (the current 7-day has a pair of days with a 30% chance of rain, but, really, I doubt there will be a single day in the next week lacking in drizzle).

Given the failed cure, when I get to the car again, should I be using a cleaner, or am I fine just washing and putting on another layer of sealant?

tuscarora dave
10-03-2011, 10:31 AM
In my experience, you should be able to just wash real good then re apply the sealant maybe working the sealant in a little longer than usual and all should be good. The re application of the sealant should dissolve the remaining cured sealant as you work it into/onto the paint ensuring a good result.

truckbutt
10-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't know how accurate it was, but not too long ago someone posted that for sealants about 75% of curing takes place in the first hour. If that's true, you should be fine.