PDA

View Full Version : Soo, anyone good with gas generators??

Pages : [1] 2

courtdale
10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Have had this generator for a few years, it's the ole stale gas, let it sit for too long story. Tried fresh gas a few times in the past, no luck. Yesterday I decided to put some real effort into it so I bought some Carb Cleaner, and a can of Sea Foam.

Disconnected the fuel line and let the last bit of bad gas drain out. Sprayed the tank, line and intake on the carb with the cleaner. Added 1.5 gallons of gas along with a few ounces of Sea Foam. Let it sit for a while and gave it a few cranks. Nothing. Tried a few more times throughout the night, no luck.

Supposedly the next step is totally taking the thing apart and cleaning the carburator thoroughly? Would like to avoid that if possible. anyone have any other tips to get this thing going?

tuscarora dave
10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
With some small engine carburetors there will be what looks like a drain plug or a screw of sorts on the bottom of the carb. If your generator has this it is likely the main jet mixture screw or "jet needle". You could remove it and try spoofing the main jet with a very small diameter piece of wire such as a small paper clip to dislodge any varnish or rotten gasoline solids from the orifice in the jet. If your model has this mixture screw and you do remove it, you will first want to screw it inward counting the exact amount of turns that it takes to lightly bottom out or stop turning. If it turns inward 2 and 1/2 turns until it stops then this is where you will want it to be upon re insertion of the screw or "jet needle". To return it to it's original position, simply screw it all the way in until it stops then back it out 2 and 1/2 turns to ensure the proper fuel mixture.

Check this out before tearing into things too deeply. You may have to pull the spark plug out and drizzle a little gasoline into the spark plug hole then re insert the spark plug and tighten it before pull starting the engine. You may want to try this a few times as sometimes the vacuum/pressure created by the running engine will be enough to dislodge any dried gasoline solids from the jet orifice and all will be good after some amount of time of the engine running.

Hope this helps, TD

tuscarora dave
10-03-2011, 10:23 AM
If you have already tried this or you have removed this screw or jet needle to drain the old gasoline be sure that you have not screwed the jet needle all the way in as this would prevent fuel from being metered into the engine. If you have screwed this jet needle in all the way and do not know how many turns out it was originally, 2 and 1/2 turns out is typically a good starting point. If and when the engine does start, if it is running poorly then you may need to adjust the screw in or out slightly until you achieve a smooth running condition.

modo
10-03-2011, 12:12 PM
as long as the motor has spark it is a fuel issue and since there was gas left in the tank / bowl of the carb i would lean more towards the later

quick easy test is to give a small squirt of ether (starting fluid) into the air cleaner and give the cord a rip. if the motor fires for a second then its a fuel issue

as dave stated you are going to have to take the carb apart and start cleaning it unfortunately. best practice with small motors like that whether they are 4 or 2 stroke is when you are finished with them and are going to let them sit you should run them completely out of fuel. drain whatever is in the tank and let the motor die after it burns what is left in the bowl.

courtdale
10-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Well, I guess since the BMW is going to be in the body shop all week, I can make this generator project week. Not quite as attractive as working on the car, but I guess I can use the experience.

tuscarora dave
10-03-2011, 01:23 PM
What size (HP) and brand engine does your generator have?

courtdale
10-03-2011, 03:26 PM
B&s 10hp

SeaJay's
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
As all have stated above try those steps to trouble shoot. Ensure your getting spark from the plug. You can pull the plug, connect it to the plug wire, then hold the end of the plug (ensuring your holding the rubber plug wire), to a metal ground and pull the cord. You should be able to see if there is spark.

Depending on the type of carb it has, you may have to purchase a new one. This happened to my snow blower last year. I had to rip the thing apart tried to clean the carb jet, etc and nothing worked. Ordered a new one, installed it and it cranked right over. It was my error as I didn't run all the gas out of it when I stored it for the summer.

courtdale
10-03-2011, 04:03 PM
ok, we have life. I guess the sea foam and carb cleaner needed a little time. Cranked it when I got home from work tonight and it started up... but only for about 10 seconds. Spewed a good amount of white smoke, and then stalled. Now I can crank it, it starts, but only lasts for 1 second tops before it cuts out. Any ideas with the new response??

TLMitchell
10-03-2011, 04:28 PM
ok, we have life. I guess the sea foam and carb cleaner needed a little time. Cranked it when I got home from work tonight and it started up... but only for about 10 seconds. Spewed a good amount of white smoke, and then stalled. Now I can crank it, it starts, but only lasts for 1 second tops before it cuts out. Any ideas with the new response??

More carb cleaner. One of the jets or air holes is probably crudded up. I get the same thing every year with the carbed bike. Marinate in carb cleaner and keep starting it. Eventually the Seafoam and cleaner will get to wherever it's clogged.

TL

courtdale
10-03-2011, 04:46 PM
More carb cleaner. One of the jets or air holes is probably crudded up. I get the same thing every year with the carbed bike. Marinate in carb cleaner and keep starting it. Eventually the Seafoam and cleaner will get to wherever it's clogged.

TL

Thanks.

Just tossed another 1/2 ounce of seafoam in. Seems to be coming back with more authority (10 seconds last crank), but then back to the one second stalls. Will give it another 2 hours and try again.

May be worth mentioning that it has an auto shut off due to oil level. Level is fine, but the oil is at least 3 years old, old but no running time on it. I know its supposed to be changed way more often, but thats on tomorrows agenda.

Audi Rick
10-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Stabil can be your best friend when it comes to storing gas up to a year. Good luck.

courtdale
10-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Stabil can be your best friend when it comes to storing gas up to a year. Good luck.

Thanks, but this will be my first and last time I don't run engines empty before winter storage.

TLMitchell
10-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks, but this will be my first and last time I don't run engines empty before winter storage.

Most wrenchs recommend adding stabilizer and leaving fuel in it after a normal shutoff to prevent seals in the carb from drying out. I used to run my carbed bikes dry and drain the fuel bowl.... and ended up with leaky seals. Running Sta Bil through the fuel system before storing for the winter has produced much more consistant results. Stil get the hard-to-start syndrome with the first crankup of the year sometimes but at least I don't have to tear into things. YMMV.

TL

opie_7afe
10-04-2011, 02:02 AM
im guessing since its a generator it has the gas tank ontop of the unit? i would check the fuel filter to see if its clogged. if not then theres probly goopyness inside the carb where jets and passageways are. if your lucky you can take the fuel bowl off without ripping gasket and make sure the floats are not gummed up and moving freely. good luck with it!