PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about window tinting?

greg72982
10-02-2011, 10:39 PM
I have owned my car just over 5 years now. I have always wanted to tint the windows but I have one concern. Will tint on the rear window damage the rear defogger strips?

My dad (a long time mechanic) told me it would and to just not tint the back window but that's dumb to me. It just seems so many cars are tinted and I never heard of this being an issue.

IOMCAMARO
10-02-2011, 10:46 PM
It's not an issue. The tint will be ruined before the defroster strips will. I tinted my new Camaro within the first 3 months that I owned it and I'm glad I did. It adds a ton to the looks and cools the interior off tremendously.

Rav777
10-02-2011, 10:58 PM
I dont see any reason why it should unless the film is cheap. I have had no problem with mine. Tinting is the way to go! :xyxthumbs:

rakkvet
10-02-2011, 11:40 PM
My shop has tinted so many back windows and you have nothing to worry about. A problem may occur during installation if the tinter cuts the element with a knife. This shouldn't happen though. The tint is cut out on a plotter or hand cut on the outside glass. After that it is rubber or plastic tools and soapy water to install it.

Hope this helps.

Shortymgee
10-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I have owned my car just over 5 years now. I have always wanted to tint the windows but I have one concern. Will tint on the rear window damage the rear defogger strips?

My dad (a long time mechanic) told me it would and to just not tint the back window but that's dumb to me. It just seems so many cars are tinted and I never heard of this being an issue.

After you get the film on the back glass. Go over it with a heat gun. That will make the film shrink and form to the heat strips. If you don't than within a year or so the film will start pulling away from the window at the strips

MakemeShine
10-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Tinting the rear window will not damage Defrost strips, it's when people that don't know what there doing when removing the film that causes the damage.

Long story short, go with a quality ceramic tint. Don't cheap out if you plan on keeping the car for awile.

My favorite brand and what i have on my cars are the Llumar Formula One line Pinnacle series ceramic film.
Great Heat rejection and UV protection.

GL

greg72982
10-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the help. I definitely won't be doing it myself and am going to make sure the guy doing it knows what he is doing. I've seen too many crappy jobs where it is bubbling and peeling and looks horrible. I've heard of two people around here that are supposed to be good, one works for an auto glass company, another at Ziebart...

IOMCAMARO
10-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the help. I definitely won't be doing it myself and am going to make sure the guy doing it knows what he is doing. I've seen too many crappy jobs where it is bubbling and peeling and looks horrible. I've heard of two people around here that are supposed to be good, one works for an auto glass company, another at Ziebart...

Make sure that they offer a lifetime warranty on their tint. Most quality tints will offer a lifetime warranty by their certified installers. It may cost you a little bit more, but it's well worth it. It cost me $200 to get my windows done on my Camaro. The tint was Llumar ceramic. Make sure that you stay close to the legal limit too as cops are cracking down on window tint. I received a $140 ticket for mine. It also cost me another $100 to get them redone at the legal limit.

alko
10-03-2011, 01:35 PM
My last two cars I got tinted. Absolutely love it! It doesn't cause any damage or ruin the defrosters. On my 08 Accord I went 30% and regretted going so light, especially with the camel colored interior, it made the windows seem like they were 35 or 40%. On my 2010 TSX I went 25% and love it! You won't regret it.

Make sure you find someone that knows what they are doing and also quality tint material. The guy who did mine was contracted out by a Honda dealer and he used top quality tint.

ScottB
10-03-2011, 06:06 PM
years ago they used a razor when removing old tint, but newer products chemically release the glues and help to pull off. And yes you can still use the defroster when needed without issue.