PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question?

Excessive Detail
05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Okay this might seem like a stupid question to some , but I want to be sure. I am pretty confident I know what causes swirl marks, but I want to make sure I'm correct? So what are the main cuases of swirl marks and once I have removed them can the old swirl marks come back or will new one show up? What are the best things to do to prevent them?
Thanks.

NissanOwner
05-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Great question, this will be good to know from our experts out there.

DS Detailer
05-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Okay this might seem like a stupid question to some , but I want to be sure. I am pretty confident I know what causes swirl marks, but I want to make sure I'm correct? So what are the main cuases of swirl marks and once I have removed them can the old swirl marks come back or will new one show up? What are the best things to do to prevent them?
Thanks.

Swirls can becaused in a few different ways... and they might not always be swirls. Taking your car thru a tunnel wash will leave light scratches on the paint. Using a dry terry towel can cause swirls... A dirty wash mitt, running your hand over the paint while it has some dust/dirt... anything that isn't kosher can cause swirls basically.

As far as old swirls coming back... it depends on how you removed them. If you just used a filler, then yes, over time you'll begin to notice the swirls again... but if you take the time to polish them out, then the old swirls shouldn't show up again.

New swirls will show up if you're not careful... The only way to be 100% positive you never get another swirl mark is to take the car, set it on fire, then dump it into a lake, and never look at it again. Besides that there is always that possiblity of swirls, just be careful to use clean towels, mitts, and avoid tunnel washes... like the one i work at.

I work there and I don't let ANY of the employees touch my car.

Excessive Detail
05-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the advice

ScottB
05-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Swirls , spiderwebbing, light scratching, marring and lots of other names are interchanged when using this term (Swirl). Removal requires polishing, hiding requires fillers, and keeping them from coming back or appearing in general takes some seriously anal car detailers. (that includes me)

Towel choice, motion in waxing and polishing as well as removal, types of protection, and use of Qd'ers can all aid but nothing is going to alleviate all swirls. So we prep the finish every so often and start over on the ritual.