PDA

View Full Version : Applied Cquartz incorrectly :(

ScionTC1283
10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
This weekend I finally had the time to try CQuartz on my vehicles. I went through the whole decontamination process that the company suggested - Wash, Iron X, Tar X, Clay- then I used Meguiars Swirl X followed by an IPA wipe down before applying CQuartz. It was pretty easy to apply and I was satisfied with the results; the cars look amazing and they shed water like crazy. However as I was finishing up I remembered that I did completely strip off my previous LSP (Klasse SG). So when I was applying the Iron X and Tar X I was decontaminating the layer of Klasse SG and not the paint (I should have used Swirl X before the Iron X). :doh: I had applied CQuartz over paint that was not thoroughly decontaminated.

I've been beating up myself up over this for the last couple of hours trying to find a way to salvage the situation. It sucks when you waste almost a hundred bucks worth of product. Instead of continuing to hate myself I'm going to make the most of the experience. I plan on making my vehicles "test" vehicles for the durability of incorrectly applied CQuartz :)

I'm curious how long the CQuartz (minus the Iron X, Tar X decon) will last. Hopefully the information I glean will be of some benefit to others and my efforts won't be in vain.

embolism
10-02-2011, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. The tarX, swirl X, and IPA would have removed the KSG. The stuff is durable but not like a coating.

I think the C quartz application should be fine. Enjoy it.

Rayaz
10-02-2011, 08:38 PM
I hardly think the Klasse survived the prep you did! You should be fine:dblthumb2:

fredcandetail
10-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Soooooo what would you have done differently step wise?

john b
10-02-2011, 09:38 PM
the ipa killed the klasse-you are fine

onlycodered
10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
As others have mentioned above you should be fine. I really doubt any LSP could stand up to Iron X, Tar X, clay, Swirl X, and IPA.

opie_7afe
10-02-2011, 11:59 PM
i agree even if i haven't used a PPC yet...you removed the previous sealant and you infact did it correctly! so don't worry or stress yourself! the purpose of the decontamination is to remove the lsp and contaminants. if the iron x made red/purple trails develop then it was working on your paint not the sealant!....

CEE DOG
10-03-2011, 12:15 AM
The Swirl X would remove the remains of the Klasse that survived the rest of your prep. My only fear is if you didn't remov all the oils from the swirlX. IPA may or may not have gotten them all but I think both Dawn and IPA or a prep wash and IPA should have been involved if you didn't use Eraser.

sohail99
10-03-2011, 12:44 AM
I think what OP is saying is, that he used ironX before removing klasse, so he's thinking, after using swirlX and IPA which stripped the klasse layer, he should've used ironX again in order to decontaminate bare paint before applying CQ!?

And I've used ironX on multi layer sealed paint, still it develops loads of purple mess! lol :D(cant see it on paint though due to metallic blue color)

Avi@CarPro
10-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Its OK , you done well,
there is nothing under CQ now after the steps you made.. no worries.

ScionTC1283
10-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Soooooo what would you have done differently step wise?

I would have applied the Swirl X before the Iron X and Tar X.

embolism
10-03-2011, 09:36 AM
you don't want to do that actually

swirl x has abrasives and you want to iron X, tar X and clay before using anything with abrasives (especially by machine) or you risk grinding additional "abrasive matter" against your paint...

CEE DOG
10-03-2011, 10:43 AM
you don't want to do that actually

swirl x has abrasives and you want to iron X, tar X and clay before using anything with abrasives (especially by machine) or you risk grinding additional "abrasive matter" against your paint...

:iagree:

Exactly,

If you want to remove your sealant before the additional prep work use OPC 3:1, TAW, or some other product. As always use them responsibly :)

ScionTC1283
10-04-2011, 07:15 AM
:iagree:

Exactly,

If you want to remove your sealant before the additional prep work use OPC 3:1, TAW, or some other product. As always use them responsibly :)

Looks like I'll have to order some OPC or TAW before my next detail. Thanks everybody for the advice.

oldmodman
10-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Just another vote for you are fine.

The IPA, unless it was diluted down to nothing, should have prepared the surface properly.