PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Clear

tbaz
10-01-2011, 09:56 PM
in doing a full correction of swirls and scratches on a 2007 Nissan Titan crew cab and of course its black, just wondering if anyone has heard if the clear is soft or hard?, im usng a M/F correction system with a GG6 DA. banking on 12 hours work with wash , clay,tape, polish , seal.

flyinion
10-02-2011, 01:20 AM
I've been told by a number of people that at least on my Z the Nissan clear is quite soft. I don't really know myself how to tell for sure, and it's very hard to see anything on silver anyway, but I do know that the Wolfgang TSR on a white pad knocked out all but the worst of 2 1/2 years of swirls. The rest I don't care about since you really have to look for them and it's a DD so it wasn't worth it to me to remove that much clear just to get out something that might be back in six months. 12 hours sounds about right. I did my parents F150 with the full four door cab which should be around the same size as the Titan. I had to rush to make around 12 hours though because they had a painted lid over the bed that I needed to do as well (that thing was a LOT of paint).

Zedhead07
10-02-2011, 08:26 PM
^
X2 on the nissan paint being soft.

331TwistedWedge
10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
maybe somebody will chime in, but im doing a 2011 (brand) new maxima ... swirled to death from the dealership ... had to be an automatic car wash ... its black ... i hate using the meguiars 105, but its hard to beat for correction ... what else works good for correcting the clear? ... how about optimum products and what pad?

modman
10-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I have had really good luck and results on my black mega cab dodge with optimum compound II with surbuf pads. Finished it out with m205 on a lake country flat grey pad. Optimum compound is alot easier to work with than 105 for a noob.

331TwistedWedge
10-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I have had really good luck and results on my black mega cab dodge with optimum compound II with surbuf pads. Finished it out with m205 on a lake country flat grey pad. Optimum compound is alot easier to work with than 105 for a noob.

thanks for the reply ... ive heard some good stuff about that optimum ... i did my entire vette with the 105 and never got the hang of it ... i used a lot, i used a little, i worked in 70*, i worked it in 90*, i buffed quick, i buffed slow...........it didnt matter, it chalked up and gummed up no matter what ... this was using a surbuf pad ... even though the 105 worked wonders on my vette, im not using this stuff ever again ... lol ... i even tried cutting the 105 with some 205, i was desperate ... i eventually got the vette done, but it took WAY too long ... it was a pita!!!!

i think im ordering me some optimum compound 2 this week, thx again ...

modman
10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
No worries, I gave up on 105 as well. I am a converted OC guy. I couldn't deal with the dusting and tried all of the stuff you tried. 205 works great though I may try the Optimum polish at some point. Cheers

331TwistedWedge
10-02-2011, 09:57 PM
LOVE the 205, i use it with the blue lakewood pad ... i like the menz po85rd for a nice gloss as well ... im just done with the 105 ... i need a new correction compound.......

timaishu
10-02-2011, 11:25 PM
I dunno how "hard" or "soft" my clear is on my 05 Altima.

I polished out the swirls with UC then swirlx 9 months ago. I havn't re-installed any swirls in that time. So maybe medium-ish?

Elite Pro
10-03-2011, 03:41 AM
in doing a full correction of swirls and scratches on a 2007 Nissan Titan crew cab and of course its black, just wondering if anyone has heard if the clear is soft or hard?, im usng a M/F correction system with a GG6 DA. banking on 12 hours work with wash , clay,tape, polish , seal.

I own a 06 Titan and it's a pleasure to polish, not too hard, not too soft. If I had to say just one , I'd say soft
Reminder: Watch the edges and tape of the plastic
BTW:welcome:

tbaz
10-03-2011, 01:43 PM
thanks guys ill post pics of the job, just got, some wolfgang deep gloss sealant and cant wait to try it

sal329
10-03-2011, 01:59 PM
It depends on the color. On some models like the Maxima, Z car, GTR... Under the hood there is a sticker that says hard clear, I only noticed this under some colors not all. I have seen Nissan clear being very soft like on a red 370z I detailed to very hard like the last blue Maxima I detailed. Always start with a test area and use teh least aggressive and work your way up