PDA

View Full Version : First endeavor with OptiCoat 2.0`

frosty
10-01-2011, 07:29 PM
I've researched the product last week and finally got my order. I coated our 3 cars.

I jumped right in with my Mustang. The car was actually clean and not swirled from the dealer detail. I did the Iron X, clay bar.

Mustang pix on photobucket
http://photobucket.com/LSOptiCoat

Thoughts, with a silver car it was tough to see any smears and coating the glass was probably the only learning curve. Not hard but trying to get a feel of how much product to use took a little more time with the glass. I found myself having to go back with a MF several times but nothing too major.

Here are our Civic and Kia
OptiCoat pictures by kkfrost - Photobucket (http://photobucket.com/TrickDetailing_optiCoat)

These cars are drivers so we just washed, IronX WHich I'm not sure I'm wasting time with anymore. These cars haven't been washed or waxed in probably a year and I saw maybe 2 purple spots on both cars.

By the third car I got the hang of how much product to use and a system down.

To me it kind of reminds me of putting on a quick detailer on a clean car in good lights and working it it so you want have any streaks.

Then learning just how much you'll see on paint that will still flash correctly.

On our drivers, honestly I wasn't that concerned with a high spot here or there on the paint. I was concerned with the windows but all and all if you understand how to wax or seal a car and the amount of product you need to do so without wasting, I think you're good to go.

I'm still a bit skeptical that this little of a product can standup to expecations but time will tell.

Thanks to Dr. G for taking the time to answer every single question I had about the products.

BobbyG
10-02-2011, 08:17 AM
For a first timer I think your rides came out first rate! You have a variety of colors and from that I can see in the photos you scored an A!! :props:

Very nice and thanks for posting.....:dblthumb2:

Setec Astronomy
10-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Wow, that Mustang is LOUD. That car is going to get a lot of attention.

IndeedSS
10-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Excellent! Thanks for your post, as it's very timely for me.:xyxthumbs:

frosty
10-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Excellent! Thanks for your post, as it's very timely for me.:xyxthumbs:

FYI. I can see a fee things in the windshield when the sun is glaring just right. Kind of like when you haven't cleaned your windows and you see a "little" haze.

But nobody will notice it and if they do, I'll get out my PoliSeal and hand pad or orbital and buff it.

Note starting out I wouldn't put it on anything you can't get a buffer too just in case.

Also, what helped me with glass if I needed to do a small section of glass, then I waited towards the end of the pad prime instead of squirt the pad and then hitting the glass. Also, for the bigger glass when I squirted OC on the applicator, I would make sure I started in the middle so I could easily spread it out.

Then if I couldn't get it where I wanted, after 2 to 3 minutes I would lightly run a MF across it just enough to remove enough smears to where it would "flash"

IndeedSS
10-02-2011, 10:49 AM
FYI. I can see a fee things in the windshield when the sun is glaring just right. Kind of like when you haven't cleaned your windows and you see a "little" haze.

But nobody will notice it and if they do, I'll get out my PoliSeal and hand pad or orbital and buff it.

Note starting out I wouldn't put it on anything you can't get a buffer too just in case.

Also, what helped me with glass if I needed to do a small section of glass, then I waited towards the end of the pad prime instead of squirt the pad and then hitting the glass. Also, for the bigger glass when I squirted OC on the applicator, I would make sure I started in the middle so I could easily spread it out.

Then if I couldn't get it where I wanted, after 2 to 3 minutes I would lightly run a MF across it just enough to remove enough smears to where it would "flash"

Sounds like it needs to be thinner than thin. Almost like half way between a WOWA and WOWO?

frosty
07-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Follow up a little over the year.

My Kia that has been sitting out side and daily driven, I'd have to say water stopped beading up back during the winter.

On the mustang, which isn't driven on the road and stays in the garage except for a few events, the water still beads up and sheets. But so would any other type of sealant or wax I suspect when it's not subjected to the elements.

It seems to last longer than other wax/sealants but personally I doubt I would ever put the time and effort in required for this product again.

I especially wouldn't put it on the windshield again. During the rain, it caused streaking, pretty much like what you would experience with worn out wipers.

brawl
07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Did you try using a non-abrasive paint cleaner to see if it will revive OC's "power"?

frosty
07-24-2012, 08:15 AM
No I haven't. My daily driver I'm not so worried about whether it sheets water again.

The other reason i don't think I would do it again, is my Mustang, I take to shows. Maybe it's just me, but with the opti-coat I don't think I get the kind of pop I got using waxes.

I'm not disparaging the product, but for me it didn't turn out to be what I thought in the end. Of course thinking any product would be "forever" isn't realistic. So I'll stick to the "conventional" products.