PDA

View Full Version : Best Coating for Wheels

Frank A.
10-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi all. I am looking at coating the painted wheels on my 911. I presently use UPGP, and although it does a great job on the paint, it just can't stand-up to the pain in the butt brake dust these cars generate on the wheels. My order of importance for the product is:

1. Brake dust/dirt shedding ability
2. Durability
3. Shine

Which is the best coating for wheel application: Cquartz, Opti-Coat, Gtechniq, or some other? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Frank A.

Rayaz
10-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I have the same problems with my wheels (2 BMWs and a Mercedes). The Germans achieve great stopping distances but they turn the wheels black in about 40 feet of driving after a wash.

I have tried Klass sealant, DP wheel glaze, and the old standby Collinite 845. The 845 shed dust the best IMO but they all made washing easy. I just do a seperae bucket with Meguire's Gold Class and they come clean with no problem. In fact, the hose takes most of the heavy stuff before the soap even hits them.

I'm anxious to hear what others think about this subjectFeed back please

Silverstone
10-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I've been using WGDGPS and before that KSG. They both seem to last quite a long time.

TroyScherer
10-01-2011, 08:11 PM
I have CQ on my wife's Jetta. So I know a little about bad break dust. It works well. It is much easier to clean the wheels with only car soap and water. No special wheel cleaner needed.

But if I were to re-do them I would choose OC. It is a more permanent coating. CQ is said to last up to 2 years. OC has been tested for up to 4 so far. Then after applying something like OC I would top it every so often with Permanon which you can spray on and wipe off.

FussMan
10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
I coated my wheels (2010 Infiniti & 2011 Equinox) with Opti-Seal.... I like Opti-Seal cuz its soo easy; spray on and wipe off. Once treated with Opti-Seal it slick and smooth and nothing sticks to it...clean up is soap and water.

:props:

Fussman

Jenn1270
10-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I use opti seal as well. Treated the wheels about 2 months ago and I can get all the brake dust off with ONR when I am doing the rest of the car. No wheel cleaner needed.

Jenn

TroyScherer
10-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I have and use Opti-Seal as my wheel sealant on a regular basis. Very quick and easy with good protection. BUT if you are looking for a more permanent solution Opti-Coat is it.

Buckskincolt
10-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I have and use Opti-Seal as my wheel sealant on a regular basis. Very quick and easy with good protection. BUT if you are looking for a more permanent solution Opti-Coat is it.

I use opti seal as well. Treated the wheels about 2 months ago and I can get all the brake dust off with ONR when I am doing the rest of the car. No wheel cleaner needed.

Jenn
Isn't UPGP and Opti Seal pretty much the same thing? I use UPGP on my wheels and it seems to work great! Wheels was very easy with just car wash soap.