PDA

View Full Version : Bug Etchings more than meets the eye..

courtdale
10-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Had a body shop/mechanic guy working on my car today. I asked how much paint experience he had and then started telling him about my hood. For those that haven't seen my other posts, I've gone through 2x full on 3 step corrections that have had absolutely NO effect on a serious case of road rash/bug splatter. Dr. Colorchip was also ineefective.

He took one look at it and said, oh, you've had this painted? I said no, I just got the car this summer. He said he knew that many used car dealerships will get low end detail body guys to give the cars a quick touch up and then will sometimes toss a layer of clear coat over it. He said it looked like to him that someone did a half-assed clean up on the hood NOT removing a good amount of bug damage, and then just clear coated over it.

I wasn't aware of such things, but if true, it totally explains the trouble I've been having. It also explains why Dr. Colorchip has given me such a head ache as well. I was filling some pits with the touch up paint, but most of the surrounding flaws weren't pits at all, they were basically laminated bugs.

If this is accurate, it seems my only option outside of sanding down my entire hood and paying for more CC is just buying a whole new hood. In more pleseant news, he did a pretty good job installing my angel eyes.

Flash Gordon
10-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Had a body shop/mechanic guy working on my car today. I asked how much paint experience he had and then started telling him about my hood. For those that haven't seen my other posts, I've gone through 2x full on 3 step corrections that have had absolutely NO effect on a serious case of road rash/bug splatter. Dr. Colorchip was also ineefective.

He took one look at it and said, oh, you've had this painted? I said no, I just got the car this summer. He said he knew that many used car dealerships will get low end detail body guys to give the cars a quick touch up and then will sometimes toss a layer of clear coat over it. He said it looked like to him that someone did a half-assed clean up on the hood NOT removing a good amount of bug damage, and then just clear coated over it.

I wasn't aware of such things, but if true, it totally explains the trouble I've been having. It also explains why Dr. Colorchip has given me such a head ache as well. I was filling some pits with the touch up paint, but most of the surrounding flaws weren't pits at all, they were basically laminated bugs.

If this is accurate, it seems my only option outside of sanding down my entire hood and paying for more CC is just buying a whole new hood. In more pleseant news, he did a pretty good job installing my angel eyes.

What this guy said is partially true. What alot of used car dealers do is hire a bumper repair guy/gal to respray the front bumper/hood/mirrors to give it that fresh look

I do agree with him on the quality not being there as most times they paint the cars in a parking lot using the cheapest products they can find

courtdale
10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
What this guy said is partially true. What alot of used car dealers do is hire a bumper repair guy/gal to respray the front bumper/hood/mirrors to give it that fresh look

I do agree with him on the quality not being there as most times they paint the cars in a parking lot using the cheapest products they can find

Well at least now I can stop jousting windmills and correct what i know is in my power to correct. While the car won't look great, the knowledge will do a TON for my sanity.

Flash Gordon
10-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Well at least now I can stop jousting windmills and correct what i know is in my power to correct. While the car won't look great, the knowledge will do a TON for my sanity.

I'm as confused as Brittany Spears in a Spelling Bee Contest to your response :confused: I'm sorry if I offended you :(

courtdale
10-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm as confused as Brittany Spears in a Spelling Bee Contest to your response :confused: I'm sorry if I offended you :(

Haha, no. Jousting windmills means I'm not nuts trying to overcome an obstacle that is impossible to overcome (Don Quixote). He was nuts and would try to joust windmills under the dilusion that they were real opponents. So I can stop grinding out those bugs thinking they're eventually going to come off if I just "get it right".

FUNX650
10-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Hooray!!Are we honored to have Don Quixote ( and possibly his pal Sancho Panza) in our midst??????!!!!

Looking at a windmill now,

:)

Bob

Edit: It was only Mr. Courtdale :(

Still happy to meet you, though. :)

courtdale
10-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Hooray!!Are we honored to have Don Quixote ( and possibly his pal Sancho Panza) in our midst??????!!!!

Looking at a windmill now,

:)

Bob

Hah, I wish Sancho was around. His counsel might of saved me a ton of product and quite a bit of sweat on that 2nd correct.

opie_7afe
10-01-2011, 07:52 PM
try going to a scrap yard and see if you can find something same color that was rear ended, might get lucky and find one that just needs buffing. worth a shot..good luck and sorry to hear the news, i HATE when people treat nice cars like there the 500$ auction special...

courtdale
10-01-2011, 07:58 PM
try going to a scrap yard and see if you can find something same color that was rear ended, might get lucky and find one that just needs buffing. worth a shot..good luck and sorry to hear the news, i HATE when people treat nice cars like there the 500$ auction special...

Ebay has primed hoods for $100 + $100 shipped, any reason for buyer beware?? I dont have much experience in parts shopping.