PDA

View Full Version : What chemicals are corrosive to car finish?

Pages : [1] 2

hwt
10-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I have an attached garage. As such, it's a depository for household cleaners and associated chemicals, auto supplies, yard materials, tools, liquids, sprays, etc., as well as functioning as a workroom. And it's small.

I only recently (duh) discovered that some types of brake fluid can be corrosive to a car's finish, even if cleaned up soon after exposure. I'm careful whenever I embark on a project, whether car or otherwise-related. However, one can't always be perfect, even if one knows all the properties of what one is working with. There have been some instances where an aerosol spray of some sort has drifted onto something and, when wiping it off, even immediately, I discovered an adverse effect.

What types of sprays, chemicals, cleaners, whatever, are definite "no-nos" for using around or on a car, or with which one has to be especially careful?

Thanks in advance.

Flash Gordon
10-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I have an attached garage. As such, it's a depository for household cleaners and associated chemicals, auto supplies, yard materials, tools, liquids, sprays, etc., as well as functioning as a workroom. And it's small.

I only recently (duh) discovered that some types of brake fluid can be corrosive to a car's finish, even if cleaned up soon after exposure. I'm careful whenever I embark on a project, whether car or otherwise-related. However, one can't always be perfect, even if one knows all the properties of what one is working with. There have been some instances where an aerosol spray of some sort has drifted onto something and, when wiping it off, even immediately, I discovered an adverse effect.

What types of sprays, chemicals, cleaners, whatever, are definite "no-nos" for using around or on a car, or with which one has to be especially careful?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not the right person to explain the scentific aspect of how everything works.

I can tell you what does and doesn't though. With that, I ask you exactly what chemicals/products do you have in mind?

dtuna42
10-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Pretty much everything appears to be corrosive to my cars...

opie_7afe
10-02-2011, 12:36 AM
sprayable paint stripper comes to mind, also a mad ex-girlfriend? perhaps mistress? :laughing:

Jenn1270
10-02-2011, 12:43 AM
sprayable paint stripper comes to mind, also a mad ex-girlfriend? perhaps mistress? :laughing:

Or a girlfriend/mistress key.....gotta hate that. Us women can be so hateful and vindictive at times

Flip
10-02-2011, 03:09 AM
What about APC diluted 4:1 on the front bumper(painted bumper not plastic),

Is that corrosive? Would it remove any wax or sealants?

Flash Gordon
10-02-2011, 08:11 AM
What about APC diluted 4:1 on the front bumper(painted bumper not plastic),

Is that corrosive? Would it remove any wax or sealants?

Depends on which APC. I haven't had a chance to use as many as some have, but Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power is safe to remove bugs. Simple Green I would stay away from

Yes, they will strip wax/sealants if you leave them on there to long

*Edit...No APC will cause corrosion on a plastic bumper, but some can sure jack up the paint ;)

mwoolfso
10-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Simple Green has a more diverse product line these days. Their APC product is not for cars but they do have products now that are OK for autos.

Our Product Family (http://www.simplegreen.com/products_family.php)

shagnat
12-22-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm glad to see the entire Simple Green line. I need several of the products and definitely trust Simple Green to do the job the right way.

Hoytman
12-22-2013, 09:54 PM
This is an old thread, but for people reading this thread in the future I thought I'd post this information on Purple Power Industrial and include some photo's of the label.

Also, if someone does an Advanced Search and types in "Purple Power Industrial", then they will be given links to these threads where this product is discussed and hopefully see the product labels and the warning about using this product on paint.

.. but Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power is safe to remove bugs.

*Edit..., but some can sure jack up the paint ;)

Purple Power Industrial could jack up your paint. See the quoted post below.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PurplePowerLabel01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PurplePowerLabel02.jpg

EDIT:

Mrs. Bagwell, the lady I spoke with, expressly stated not to use it on painted surfaces.

FUNX650
12-22-2013, 10:44 PM
I believe the one "chemical" that is the major cause for the deterioration of materials, including the oxidation process of electrochemical-corrosion of metals, happens to be: Water

:)

Bob

Coach Steve
12-23-2013, 03:25 AM
Depends on which APC. I haven't had a chance to use as many as some have, but Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power is safe to remove bugs. Simple Green I would stay away from

Yes, they will strip wax/sealants if you leave them on there to long

*Edit...No APC will cause corrosion on a plastic bumper, but some can sure jack up the paint ;)
Super Clean is my No. 1 go-to uber-strength cleaner - especially if it's oil/grease based. It does an incredible job! HOWEVER... you have to be extra careful when using it near clear coat as it is not safe for it and it says so right on the label: NOT SAFE FOR CLEAR COATS!

swanicyouth
12-23-2013, 04:52 AM
Anything not designed for paint, shouldn't be used on paint IMHO. Acids, strong bases, brake clean, brake fluid, APCs, and most solvents are probably best left away from paint. Of course, you will get anecdotal data from some guy saying "I use Wheel Bright and Brillo pads on my paint and it's great". It's your decision to try crazy stuff like that or not. Let us know how it works out if your try any "unconventional" products.

tpr1634
12-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Clean is my No. 1 go-to uber-strength cleaner - especially if it's oil/grease based. It does an incredible job! HOWEVER... you have to be extra careful when using it near clear coat as it is not safe for it and it says so right on the label: NOT SAFE FOR CLEAR COATS!

I use super clean, walmart has a 2.5 gallon container for 20 bucks I cut it 50/50 and only use it for wheel wells and tires.

PiPUK
12-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Anything not designed for paint, shouldn't be used on paint IMHO. Acids, strong bases, brake clean, brake fluid, APCs, and most solvents are probably best left away from paint. Of course, you will get anecdotal data from some guy saying "I use Wheel Bright and Brillo pads on my paint and it's great". It's your decision to try crazy stuff like that or not. Let us know how it works out if your try any "unconventional" products.

The thing is that most people on here will be using several of those things on their paint. More than that, many people who are not, will still be using them because the fancy product they paid extra for... could actually be considered to be on that list, if they only knew the chemistry.

Whilst I say that, the only way for the public to know is to follow what the manufacturers say. Whilst it is clear to an expert that much of the advice given to the public is nonsense or driven by marketing, it is implausible for a non-expert to know for sure.

From my perspective, the big nasties are the strong acids (like HCl/HF) and the caustic bases (hydroxides). This is not always the case but it is the best guide to give.