PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels - Now How to Care

clambros
02-10-2007, 08:57 AM
I purchased new Alloy wheels (Lexus has named them "telios" wheels) for one of my "girls". Now my question is how to polish and care for the wheels. I'm a fan of Meguiares hot wheels .. which seems to be working just fine to clean the road grime and brake dust. My question is about a polish & care .. I'm thinking a power ball and <what> ??

The wheels appear to be painted and coated, but its hard to tell. They are more on the "dark chrome" finish, but still bright. Pic of the wheels below (ignore the ugly guy in the pic .. I'm much better looking :) )

Any input / suggestions would be appreciated

http://www.lambros.net/2007LS460L/images/ChrisLambros-640.JPG

Reddwarf
02-10-2007, 09:21 AM
To protect use DP Wheel Glaze. It works great. AOI is also great on the wheels.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1934_185824031

Gary Sword
02-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I have also been using DP Wheel Glaze. It does a good job cleaning off the brake dust as well as protecting them against it. It does not come off as easy As I would like. As far as just protecting them after they have been cleaned Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant seems to do a good job and goes on and comes off very easy. The one negitive thing with Wolfgang is that it has a long cure time but I love the product.

Reddwarf
02-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I have also been using DP Wheel Glaze. It does a good job cleaning off the brake dust as well as protecting them against it. It does not come off as easy As I would like. As far as just protecting them after them have been cleaned Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant seems to do a good job and goes on and comes off very easy.

I have to agree with you. I like the results of the DP Wheel Glaze, but I too find it difficult to remove. I always miss a few spots and have to go back over the wheel. Becuase if this, I've not reguarly applied the product becuase it takes so much time to remove it.

supercharged
02-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I purchased new Alloy wheels (Lexus has named them "telios" wheels) for one of my "girls". Now my question is how to polish and care for the wheels. I'm a fan of Meguiares hot wheels .. which seems to be working just fine to clean the road grime and brake dust. My question is about a polish & care .. I'm thinking a power ball and <what> ??

The wheels appear to be painted and coated, but its hard to tell. They are more on the "dark chrome" finish, but still bright. Pic of the wheels below (ignore the ugly guy in the pic .. I'm much better looking :) )

Any input / suggestions would be appreciated

http://www.lambros.net/2007LS460L/images/ChrisLambros-640.JPG
DP wheel glaze to protect your wheels. Apply it with a terry cloth applicator. Remove with a terry cloth or microfiber(be sure not to use that microfiber on paint later). Wash wheels with just soap and water and OXO ergonomic wheel brush. If you are looking for a good/safe wheel cleaner - P21S Gel is the way to go. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, use OXO wheel brush again. If need stronger cleaner - go with DP, Wolfgang, or Pinnacle.

Meguiar's wheel cleaners are acid based (and just because it does not have acid "A", doesn't mean it doesn't have acid "B"), and might damage wheels over time. After all, if you can afford a premuim luxury car, give yourself a favor and get some good wheel cleaner.

ScottB
02-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I too suggest stepping away from store bought wheel cleaners, they use acid and lye as a cleaning base. Long term damage will still apply. Move to P21S Wheel Cleaner monthly, and soap/water weekly.

I too would suggest DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboys Wheel Sealant monthly. These two offer nice protection from brake dust. DP is a little harder to remove as it has a light cleaner, but looks better IMO.

clambros
02-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Good advice .. Thank You .. Already ordering some P21S.

I must also admit I typically use a wheel cleaner even when I'm just doing a quick wash/dry (the front brakes on the Lexus and my VERT make a TON of brake dust .. and quick, too!).

So my follow-up question .. OK to use the powerball with DP Wheel Glaze ??

Reddwarf
02-10-2007, 10:12 PM

I must also admit I typically use a wheel cleaner even when I'm just doing a quick wash/dry (the front brakes on the Lexus and my VERT make a TON of brake dust .. and quick, too!).

Yes. I tried it and it did not scratch the surface. However, I found it difficult to get in the small places. May want to look at the mini-ball - I think that's what it is called.

supercharged
02-11-2007, 04:06 AM

Hard braking might produce more brake dust, but usually it's German cars that dust like hell.

ScottB
02-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Mini-ball is better choice as it goes everywhere, remember a cordless drill is needed also.

Strokin04
02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
I do DP wheel glaze once a month and in between after washes I touch up with DG aqua wax. This really cuts down the amount of time I spend cleaning the wheels during a wash because the brake dust goes away with just soap and water. Mike...

Surfer
02-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Personally I just used AIO on my chrome wheels since it cleans and protects at the same time, beads water/dirt/dust off for over a month, sometimes I added EX-P but didn't make a difference. Lately I have some AW in a light mister bottle that I'll spray, does real good on wheels after AIO.

That's the only reason I haven't gotten DP or PB wheel stuff since the above work fine for me. What makes DP a pain to remove, I always see people mention that, does it not buff off easily?

Strokin04
02-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I always see people mention that, does it not buff off easily?

It takes a little elbow grease to get it off but, the end result is worth it. Everytime I use it on my just cleaned wheels the glaze seems to still pull more dirt of the wheel because the MF always shows sign of dirt. Mike...