PDA

View Full Version : oh no. possible debit card fraud

Pages : [1] 2

timaishu
09-30-2011, 09:06 PM
So I was looking at my account activity on my wellsfargo account and I saw a transaction of $39.58 from yesterday. Guess what, unless I was hit in the head and forgot, I did not purchase anything for that ammount.

I remember going to a game store, paying in cash for 12 bucks. Then spending 2 dollars at albertsons that night. I called WellsFargo and I asked if they could give me more details of the transaction, there wasnt alot of info, but they had a phone number. I called it and it was some random guy and it sounded like he was driving in his car, I really didnt know what to say so I told him I had the wrong number, I didnt want to mention the issue.

So I looked deeper into my account activity and found another one from a month ago for the exact same ammount with a similar looking tag, there was also an international transaction fee as well. I have no idea how I missed it, but its there.

I thought of every possible transaction I could have made and all of them checked out. I have a few pre-orders out but they havnt charged me. Nothing ebay related. I checked paypal and its not them, no recurring subscriptions or anything.

I've never had anything like this happen before and it makes me feel super violated if its indeed some sort of fraud. I already called wellsfargo back and the wheels are in motion to figure this out.

Nappers
09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
call the police and get a report to send to your bank. Some require it. and chop it up and get a new card ASAP. I got over 5,000 fraud on my card once. computers, hand held computers went to New York it was ugly for a week or so, my bank was great.

Aaron

ScottB
09-30-2011, 09:14 PM
sounds internet related ... never use your main operating account and its card online.

timaishu
09-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Whats scary is I have no idea how this could have happened. My card has always been in my wallet with me or hidden in my locked car.

I usually do use my credit card for online purchases, I cant think of a time I didnt. Im going to check all of my only stuff and switch it to cc.

timaishu
09-30-2011, 09:18 PM
call the police and get a report to send to your bank. Some require it. and chop it up and get a new card ASAP. I got over 5,000 fraud on my card once. computers, hand held computers went to New York it was ugly for a week or so, my bank was great.

Aaron

I havnt filed one, the bank asked it I had and I said no. They didnt at all mention the need to file.

My card is already shredded, and the card is cancelled. They will be sending me a new card.

clm65
09-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Whats scary is I have no idea how this could have happened. My card has always been in my wallet with me or hidden in my locked car.

I usually do use my credit card for online purchases, I cant think of a time I didnt. Im going to check all of my only stuff and switch it to cc.

My wife and several people I work with had this happen recently. Turns out one of the local resturants was the common thread between them. They all used their credit cards to pay. Server takes the card, completes the transaction, and brings the card back. Somewhere along the line the important information is obtained and the next thing you know you are having unexpected charges showing up.

IOMCAMARO
09-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Just saying that even if your card is in your wallet, you are an open target. I could walk by you with one of the new card readers and it would scan your card wirelessly without you even knowing. Even if your card is in your wallet and in your pants, the scanner can go right through it all.

PorscheGuy997
09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the incident...

I had someone get a hold of my debit card number back in May. They bought a lot of Netflix material and some phone cards from Walmart. This is the second time my card number has been stolen in the past fours.

Here's what you need to do:
-Call up your bank and ask to dispute the charges (usually done through the fraud department
-Close your debit account immediately and ask for a new card to be sent.

My bank, Fifth Third, will occasionally ask you to provide additional information. If the transaction was done online, ask them to check the IP address used to make the purchase. It's pretty easy to tell if something fishy is going on when you're located in one place and the transaction was completed hundreds of miles away.

dougaross
09-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Apparently my bank has good software for detecting fraudulent transactions. When they spot a suspicious transaction they immediately call me about it.

I was surprised when they called me about an autogeek purchase. I mean their must have been many purchases from AG in my credit card history. I guess they can't get it right all the time.

timaishu
09-30-2011, 11:28 PM
I already have a dispute all setup.

I didnt realize you could steal card numbers wirelessly? Strange.

What I find strange is I have been called by wellsfargo before about possible fraudulent purchases but they were actually legitimate.

I just happened to notice this in my account activity. Curious what they find out.

C. Charles Hahn
09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
My wife and several people I work with had this happen recently. Turns out one of the local resturants was the common thread between them. They all used their credit cards to pay. Server takes the card, completes the transaction, and brings the card back. Somewhere along the line the important information is obtained and the next thing you know you are having unexpected charges showing up.

Exactly why I never use a credit card to pay unless the card stays in my sight the whole time. Not saying they couldn't still pull a bait-and-switch or something, but it's harder to do if I'm watching the card like a hawk.

IOMCAMARO
09-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I already have a dispute all setup.

I didnt realize you could steal card numbers wirelessly? Strange.

What I find strange is I have been called by wellsfargo before about possible fraudulent purchases but they were actually legitimate.

I just happened to notice this in my account activity. Curious what they find out.

Newer cards can use RFID (Radio Frequency Identification). It allows your card info to be noticed wirelessly unless you put a protective coating around it while it is in your wallet. I'm going to school for Computer Engineering and some of the technology that most people don't know about is nuts.

timaishu
09-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Ah, must explain the little tap pay thing it has now.

IOMCAMARO
09-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Probably. We watched a show on it, and some guy had one of the readers and was walking down a street in a big city. When he got back to his place, he had a ton of readings.

cutter
10-01-2011, 01:01 AM
I rarely use a credit card tied to my bank account...I have purchased a Walmart Money card, and for three dollars each time you post money on the card is well worth someone ruining your credit

'the most they could get off the Walmart Money Card is the amount you have put on it, and even still if some type of fraudulent charge happens you still have recourse through Walmart.

I've never had a problem using this. Good luck getting everything straightend out!!!