PDA

View Full Version : Washing and claying with ONR

lee1dew
09-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Does anyone do panel by panel washing and claying with ONR like this:

1. Wash the panel with ONR.
2. While the panel is still wet, spray the panel with ONR at a clay lube ratio and clay as usual.
3. Wash the panel again with ONR to get rid of clay residue.
4. Dry.

I've never used detailing clay before, so is this the fastest way to do it?

rider9195
09-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I don't think ONR leaves a clay like residue behind. So their really is no need to re wash. But I might re wash to remove any contaminants that you loosened possibly. And since washing with ONR is very quick, I don't see how it would hurt.

Shawn T.
09-30-2011, 10:15 PM
I've done it. Works beautifully :xyxthumbs:

lee1dew
09-30-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't think ONR leaves a clay like residue behind. So their really is no need to re wash. But I might re wash to remove any contaminants that you loosened possibly. And since washing with ONR is very quick, I don't see how it would hurt.

I thought the clay itself would leave a residue.

kronos
09-30-2011, 11:54 PM
I thought the clay itself would leave a residue.

It does when I use Mother's clay, Sonus clay and Chemical Guys clay with ONR mixed at quick-detailer strength. The clay will frequently stick and leave residue behind. I usually polish after claying so I don't know if a regular wash would remove the residue.

mwoolfso
10-01-2011, 08:09 AM
I performed those steps on my '12 VW CC and '11 GMC Acadia, works fine and I have been pleased. My wife says her hands keep slipping on the doors when she goes to close them. I crack up every time she tells me that.

For step #3 I have been using Menzerna Top Inspection; pitting it against ONR. Crazy enough, I love the spray bottle from Menzerna and will likely stick with ONR just from price point alone.

shoeless89
10-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Washing after the claying is optional. But another wash won't hurt. I personally would dry the pannel BEFORE I clayed to help remove anything off the surface so the clay doesn't grind it into the paint.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk