PDA

View Full Version : Optimum or Menzerna polishes?

Pages : [1] 2 3

rider9195
09-29-2011, 03:33 PM
I am looking for suggestions of which line of polishes to go with next. I always see great results and reviews about the Menzerna polishes but, they are a little pricey and I don't really need 16 oz. of a polish.

From what I found the old formula of the OPT polishes weren't that great. But after seeing a few threads about the new formulas it is pretty convincing. The prices are good and the 8 oz. container size seems perfect.

BUT, I keep feeling I will buy one line and wish I went with the other. Any feedback on which line I should go with? Pros and cons with each line?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

silverfox
09-29-2011, 03:34 PM
That's like asking Mary Ann or Ginger

Rav777
09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Haven't tried the Menzerna Polish but lately I have been using Optimum Polish II and I love it! Wipes off like a charm and dust is..well..non existent! It also has a really great work time.

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Wow, don't get into the flavor of the month thing...you will wind up with more stuff than you will ever use. The downside of those small Optimum bottles is the unit price is much higher than larger quantities, the upside is you won't have a lot of polish around to go bad and you'll be able to do 4-8 cars. If you buy the Optimum sampler you can get all 3 (Compound II, Polish II, and Finish) for $30.

I haven't used the newer versions of the OPT polishes (still trying to use up my quarts of the older stuff, along with my quarts of...well, you get the idea), but they are still apparently pretty much zero dust, which is a great plus. You can't go wrong with Menzerna...but if 16oz is too big, I'd go for that OPT sampler.

mlc40
09-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Wow, don't get into the flavor of the month thing...you will wind up with more stuff than you will ever use. The downside of those small Optimum bottles is the unit price is much higher than larger quantities, the upside is you won't have a lot of polish around to go bad and you'll be able to do 4-8 cars. If you buy the Optimum sampler you can get all 3 (Compound II, Polish II, and Finish) for $30.

I haven't used the newer versions of the OPT polishes (still trying to use up my quarts of the older stuff, along with my quarts of...well, you get the idea), but they are still apparently pretty much zero dust, which is a great plus. You can't go wrong with Menzerna...but if 16oz is too big, I'd go for that OPT sampler.

Polishes go bad? How can you tell? I have some M205 that is two years old and it works like the day I bought it. I keep my stuff in the basement so temp is controlled.

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Polishes go bad? How can you tell? I have some M205 that is two years old and it works like the day I bought it. I keep my stuff in the basement so temp is controlled.

There have been a lot of reports lately about OPT polishes/AIO's going bad, and the semi-official representative stated here that you shouldn't buy more than you will use in 2-3 years. How can you tell? If they separate and won't mix back together, have chunks, etc.

ScottB
09-29-2011, 03:51 PM
No wrong choice ... I still come back to Menzerna personally.

rider9195
09-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Being all my personal vehicles paint have been corrected and will only need light polish once and a while I will probably go with Optimum polishes for now. If I need to do a heavier paint correction I will probably get some polishes off the Menzerna line.

BobbyG
09-29-2011, 06:29 PM

I used to love them both!! :bowdown:

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 06:30 PM
I used to love them both!! :bowdown:

Oh, come on! Ginger all the way!

TS656577
09-29-2011, 06:32 PM
No wrong choice ... I still come back to Menzerna personally.
I agree. I find optimum polishes have a longer working time, but I find I like the results better from Menzerna. I still use the Menzerna polishes the most.

Glimmer Twin
09-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm a noob and the other posters have forgotten more than I know so take this FWIW. I've had good luck with Swirl X. Since your paint is in good shape this or the Ult Polish might be the cheap and easy way to do occasional polishing.

Chris Thomas
09-29-2011, 08:28 PM
I usually don't post when I see that posters want users opinions, but we offer a satisfaction guarantee. So if you don't like our stuff, send it back to us and buy the Menz. I just thought that might be relevant to you since youre on the fence.

IID
09-29-2011, 10:19 PM
I personally used both and can tell you they perform very similar(excellent)but I notice that the OPT products seem like there is less oil in their products.
Hence,they clean from the paint easier-faster-better.
I have depleted my Menz polishes and have moved into the OPT "improved"polishes.

JSFM35x
09-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Oh, come on! Ginger all the way!

Never tried opt but love menz