PDA

View Full Version : How does your white "shine"

Pages : [1] 2

adamfox
09-29-2011, 01:10 PM
I have orderd a black car a few weeks ago, but the guy at the dealership said he now has a white one coming in as well. I was always between both colors, but now am thinking twice on the color.

How well can you get your white cars to shine? I know a properly waxed black car looks amazing, but would white still shine like that?

Thanks.

08krewkab
09-29-2011, 01:12 PM
for shine there is nothing like black...but it has its consiquenses

SeaJay's
09-29-2011, 01:21 PM
White can really shine if you treat it right. But there is nothing like the look of a clean black car.

That being said as far as maintenance, scratches, swirls, etc etc I'd go with white. It shows far less than black. Black is really one of those colors that everything stands out on. Especially scratches and swirls.

Guess the real question is how much work do you plan on putting into this car to maintain the new look?

silverfox
09-29-2011, 01:25 PM
I agree....the question is really how much time are you willing to put in keeping a black car looking like new? Do you currently have a life now? Would you like it to stay that way, or would working on your car every waking hour sound like fun? (OK, not EVERY hour...but close)

...yeah....

adamfox
09-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Yea your kinda right... definitely a hard decision. Black certainly looks nice when looked after, but white would still be nice. Any good sealants specifically for white?

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Yea your kinda right... definitely a hard decision. Black certainly looks nice when looked after, but white would still be nice. Any good sealants specifically for white?

Not to be argumentative, but since you're new here (welcome!), how much experience do you have detailing? Are you new to this, an old hand, etc?

adamfox
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
New, some experience but nothing to write home about. I live in Newfoundland, its very cold here during winter months, and well, even in summer. It was 4 degrees yesterday. Don't know if the weather plays a part in keeping your car or not. I don't have a garage, not yet anyway. I'm thinking white might be the safer bet as of now.

SeaJay's
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I've had great success with Menz powerlock sealant.

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 02:03 PM
New, some experience but nothing to write home about. I live in Newfoundland, its very cold here during winter months, and well, even in summer. It was 4 degrees yesterday. Don't know if the weather plays a part in keeping your car or not. I don't have a garage, not yet anyway. I'm thinking white might be the safer bet as of now.

For the people that just fell off their chairs, I think that was 4 degrees C. I'm just asking because some people when they get a new car want to keep it new looking but really don't understand the extent required to be an "Autogeek". A coworker got a new car and since mine is (almost) always clean, he asked me for some advice--and knowing him, I politely suggested that he didn't really want my advice.

But I'm not trying to discourage you, there is just no magic bullet for it, no one product that you can buy that will keep your car new-looking with 15 minutes a week, it's a big process which requires some learning, discipline, etc.

adamfox
09-29-2011, 02:13 PM
oh believe me, 20 minutes on this form and I realized that. I already have the basics covered, just when I do something I want to make sure it's done right. Thats why I was curious about a good sealant for a white car.

bobble
09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Hey a Newfie huh. My GF is from Manitoba and our really close friends are from Nova Scotia. We do junior hockey with her nephews so I here you on the cold, nothing Quebec City in February brrrr.

Anyhow I like Duragloss 601/105 toped with Collinite 845 for white or light colors in general myself and the good sode affect is it's quite possibly the least expensive combination there is. Solid winter performance from that combo.

Belair
09-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I've had both colored cars, I'll take white anyday mainly because it looks clean longer given the same conditions for both colors. That said, both Hydro Sealant and Blackfire Wet Diamond AFPP look good on black & white.

TLMitchell
09-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Thats why I was curious about a good sealant for a white car.

Anyhow I like Duragloss 601/105 toped with Collinite 845 for white or light colors in general myself and the good sode affect is it's quite possibly the least expensive combination there is. Solid winter performance from that combo.

:iagree:

White done right can look incredible. I own both white amd black vehicles, the white one with 845 rarely appears dirty, even after driving in the rain. While the black can look incredible after polishing to perfection the better it looks the more everything shows. That layer of dust on it the morning after a detail doesn't make me very happy.

845 is a good choice for your climate. You can reapply it sometime during your 3 weeks of summer. :D

TL

01GreyStangGT
09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
845 or Blackfire Wet Diamond

ShaunD
09-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Unless we are talking a pearl white I would have to go with black, especially if it has metal flake in it. IMO white doesn't really hide anything better than black and when white stains then it is obvious it has been neglected and then it is as much work as black to get it back to a show shine. Black gives instant results, where as white isn't as easy to see the level of your results until in ideal lighting. I would say the best in between would be silver metallic or a pewter metallic(gold-ish with silver metallic flake). Really hides defects and still looks good in direct sunlight.