PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Polishing System and DA

Pages : [1] 2

crxman2010
09-29-2011, 07:29 AM
So I am ready to tackle a 2004 Black Civic that needs some help and pictures will be forth coming.

My order thus far would be:
Optimum Compound II
Optimum Polish II
Optimum Finish Polish
Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner
Lake Country 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit

3 CCS 5.5 x 7/8 Inch Orange Light Cutting Foam Pads
3 CCS 5.5 x 7/8 Inch White Polishing Foam Pads
3 CCS 5.5 x 7/8 Inch Blue Finessing Pads
2 Microfiber Towels, 16 x 16 inches
Foam Pad Conditioning Brush
12 oz. XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner
12 oz. XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner
Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 5"
Meguiars Professional Masking Tape Combo
Detailer's Pro Series Polishing Pad Rejuvenator

My first question is regarding the Finish Polish. I already have Poli-Seal on hand and if I was to substitute this instead of the Finish Polish, what would I be losing? Anything noticeable?

Orange Pad - Compound II
White Pad - Polish II
Blue Pad - Finish Polish/Poli-Seal/Collinite 845
Is this a reasonable plan of attack or should I be looking for something else?

I am looking to use the Optimum APC diluted to half and half as a wipe down to remove oil/residue for inspection...

The front of the car suffers from a large number of rock chips. Do I need to worry about doing this area with the DA? I plan to skip the front lower bumper because it needs a repaint not a polish but I would still like to do the hood. Possible to damage the paint more? Possible to damage the pads?

Anything I am forgetting? Anything I got backwards or otherwise incorrect?

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Usually on factory paint polishing doesn't make rock chips worse (but it's possible). Bigger issue is getting polish residue in the chips which will stand out on your black car.

Your plan sounds good, however. IMO you can replace the Finish with Poli-Seal--yeah, you might be losing a little gloss, but I doubt you will notice.

silverfox
09-29-2011, 08:16 AM
1) I'd go with the compound and straight to finishing polish. You are looking at 4 steps in your scenario (compound/polish/finishing polish/LSP). You should be able to get there in 3 (compound/finishing polish/Collinite)

2) I'd drop the CCS pads, and go with the 5" Hydro Tech or Flat pads. The HT pads are my foam pad of choice when I'm forced to use them (I'm a MF system junkie now).

crxman2010
09-29-2011, 11:47 AM
1) I'd go with the compound and straight to finishing polish. You are looking at 4 steps in your scenario (compound/polish/finishing polish/LSP). You should be able to get there in 3 (compound/finishing polish/Collinite)

2) I'd drop the CCS pads, and go with the 5" Hydro Tech or Flat pads. The HT pads are my foam pad of choice when I'm forced to use them (I'm a MF system junkie now).

Regarding the Polish,
Would Poli-Seal be enough of a Finishing Polish to go that route or would that leave to much of a gap far as Poli-Seal not being able to remove any hazing....left by the compound. (Compound II, Poli-Seal, Collinite)

I will check out the Megs MF system but any particular reason why the MF would work better? Is the MF system easier for a beginner? Does the system work quicker?

CCS vs Flat - I like the idea the flat are a little cheaper, are you actually gaining anything with either one?

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't skip from the compound to Poli-Seal, although I haven't used the new (SMAT) version of the compound. The MF system was designed to be easy and safe, to replace rotary polishing in high volume applications. I'm with Silverfox in really liking the Hydro-Tech (HT) pads. As far as regular flat vs. CCS...I guess I haven't used the CCS pads enough to develop the dislike that most people have for them, I have mostly flat, but my collection is mostly from before CCS, except for my HT pads.

How bad is the car?

2old2change
09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Since being introduced to the M/F system my foam pads come out of the cabinet less and less every day. I like my hydro pads but they have taken a back seat to my microfiber pads. Also looking forward to the release of Optimum's new line of M/F pads. :dblthumb2:

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Also looking forward to the release of Optimum's new line of M/F pads. :dblthumb2:

Whachoo' tawkin' 'bout, Willis?!?!

Chris Thomas
09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Optimum Microfiber pads will be in shipping soon...so stay tuned.

2old2change
09-29-2011, 04:36 PM
That Chris fella is sure on the ball ! ! !:buffing:

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Optimum Microfiber pads will be in shipping soon...so stay tuned.

Are the details a secret until then??

crxman2010
09-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Here are a couple pictures of the paint, it has seen better days, probably. It as been 8-10 days since it was washed, dusty, so not all the debris looking stuff is part of the paint.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4967/92210571.jpg
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/7460/43067125.jpg
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/3903/13338292.jpg
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5839/41832843.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9572/54354140.jpg

crxman2010
09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Would the current Optimum line up (Compound II, Polish II, Poli-Seal) work well with Megs MF pads?

Chris Thomas
09-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Are the details a secret until then??

One for cutting, one for polishing, tweaked versions of the Hyper Sprays, and DA and Rotary (yes, Rotary) backing plates.

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 08:47 PM
One for cutting, one for polishing, tweaked versions of the Hyper Sprays, and DA and Rotary (yes, Rotary) backing plates.

I'll understand if you don't want to elaborate, but these new pads are designed to be used with the Sprays? Rather than the lotions or more generally? I guess the spray is the optimal delivery rather than rubbing pea-dots in with your finger to prime...makes me wonder if the MF pads didn't come first and pose the problem that the sprays solved.

Rav777
09-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Would the current Optimum line up (Compound II, Polish II, Poli-Seal) work well with Megs MF pads?

Yes the new line will be able to work. I did a full correction with Compound II with an orange flat constant pressure pad and then used the Polish II with a green pad. Inspected it and the finish was great. I finished it off with some Collinite 845 since I didnt have my BlackFire Wet Diamond in yet.