PDA

View Full Version : Going to Opti-Coat...

tommythecat
09-29-2011, 01:15 AM
I just recently polished out my car with the Megs MF system. I used the D301 for the second step. I have decided to opti-coat my car. Should I just use some Griots Paint Prep to remove the D301 and go from there, or should I do another final step polish with no protection added like M205 or 085RD? SHould I use the finishing pad or pick up a couple flat black pads? Thanks in advance!!

Dr Oldz
09-29-2011, 02:14 AM
Griots Pre wax cleaner will work or Mineral Spirits. No need to use an abrasive product since you are only trying to remove the wax from D301 and not defects. The paint prep from griots should work but I have never used it to confirm.

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2011, 05:35 AM
Do you already have the Griot's Paint Prep? OPC is what Optimum is recommending for prep, use it until there is no beading (don't let it dry on the car).

BobbyG
09-29-2011, 06:06 AM
Here's what their instructions say:

Directions:

Polish paint to remove any defects.
Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicones.
Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.
Wipe Opti-Coat onto a single panel at a time in a thin layer using two directions, front to back, and then side to side.
Within 5 minutes, inspect the panel with adequate lighting looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.
Use foam applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out any areas where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not leveled will have to be polished if allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self-leveling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.
Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired. Not recommended for glass.

CEE DOG
09-29-2011, 06:41 AM
This is just my opinion and I know a lot of guys I highly respect that say they use the front back and side side method with perfect results but...
I would not follow step 4 where they say wipe front back and side to side. While it may not be visible to you and will still appear beautiful... Imo this method does leave slight ridges that you will find if you leave your car outside at night and let condensation appear. The higher areas will be pronounced by the condensation. Instead I recommend using circular motion and working the product in like you see on Chris Thomas silver front bumper application video or on my video of applying it to the passenger side vertical panels of my green Saturn.

silverfox
09-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Optimum really needs to do something similar to what CarPro has done...release a "pre-prep" product that preps the paint prior to applying Opti Coat. That is such a no brainer in my view. It would sell a lot more OC for sure.

Also, apply OC OUTSIDE...I can't stress that enough. Shop lights, no matter how good they are...are not able to reproduce natural light...and trust me if you do this inside and allow to dry before rolling the car outside...you may be in for a rather big surprise.

tommythecat
09-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback and tips guys. I did pick up some M205 and pads so that i could take care of some water spots and just to be sure the surface is as perfect as I can get it.

Unfortunately I will now have to wait to get my dent fixed before I get to work. :(

john b
09-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Optimum really needs to do something similar to what CarPro has done...release a "pre-prep" product that preps the paint prior to applying Opti Coat. That is such a no brainer in my view. It would sell a lot more OC for sure.

Also, apply OC OUTSIDE...I can't stress that enough. Shop lights, no matter how good they are...are not able to reproduce natural light...and trust me if you do this inside and allow to dry before rolling the car outside...you may be in for a rather big surprise.

i was assuming we could use carpro eraser prior to oc-correct?

Twister
09-30-2011, 09:48 AM
I used carpro eraser last week before applying opticoat to my wheels. It worked flawlessly.