PDA

View Full Version : Smoke smell

Pages : [1] 2

ThirdgenTa
09-28-2011, 12:45 PM
I had a friend contact me regarding 3 cars that were in her garage when she had a house fire. The windows were down and the interior now smells like smoke and has some ash and stuff inside. Does anyone have any tips on removing the smell? Do the Dakota Odor bombs work???

alko
09-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I just posted this on another thread. I've used the SO2Pure recently and was actually surprised at the results.

CarPro So2Pure Air Purifying Coating 120 ml. (http://www.autogeek.net/so2pure-air-purifier.html)

Alot of people have said these work great
Dakota Odor Bomb - Car odor bombs for smoke odor removal, pet odor removal and more for a clean, refreshing scent! (http://www.autogeek.net/odor-bomb-ocean-water.html)

opie_7afe
09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
cloth or leather seats? cloth is alittle harder to remove smells from, leather is a little easier. regardless i would clean all the surfaces in the car, dress all the leather/vinyl again. shampoo the carpets every square inch if possible, then i would either call a detail shop and see if they use a ozone generator and they wont charge much to let it run(shouldn't cost much anyways) or you can get carpro's SO2PURE which is basicaly a coating for all interior surfaces which attack the odor molecules and remove the odor, it also protects against future odors from what i read. the odor bombs for a thing like that MIGHT work but i wouldn't chance it. i would just either buy a ozone generator or buy the so2pure....ozone might be better because it gets into every nook and crannie but if ran too long can damage interior plastics(have to be a idiot to let it do that as it takes a long time to discolor plastics). hope i helped and hope i didn't make things harder but doing them right is easier then doing them wrong and having to go back and waste more time/money!...good luck!

ThirdgenTa
09-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I just posted this on another thread. I've used the SO2Pure recently and was actually surprised at the results.

CarPro So2Pure Air Purifying Coating 120 ml. (http://www.autogeek.net/so2pure-air-purifier.html)

Alot of people have said these work great
Dakota Odor Bomb - Car odor bombs for smoke odor removal, pet odor removal and more for a clean, refreshing scent! (http://www.autogeek.net/odor-bomb-ocean-water.html)

How many cars do you think the Carpro will do? Do you just spray it on everything?

SeaJay's
09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Ozone generators are expensive. Unless you feel like forking over some dough I'd try the So2Pure. I have yet to try this product but have heard great things about it.

As others have said ensure you clean everything (especially the headliner!). If you have a vapor steam cleaner it will come in very handy if it's a heavily smoked in car. Then shampoo the floors and seats if they are cloth.

Oh and replace the cabin air filter.

alko
09-28-2011, 01:05 PM
How many cars do you think the Carpro will do? Do you just spray it on everything?

I just pull the trigger once per foot space (if that makes sense? don't know what else to call em). If you do it that way, I think you'd be good for up to about 10 cars or so. Not entirely sure. From what I've read, you can spray it on anything.

ThirdgenTa
09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah I definately don't do enough cars or get payed nearly enough to get an ozone generator. I do not have a steamer either. What's another way to clean the headliner? I have folex, krud kutter and apc+.

SeaJay's
09-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Folex on a MF should do a good job of cleaning it. May not get all the odor out though as sometimes the smell can really saturate the headliners. As always with headliners just be careful using chemicals (or steam for that matter). Not too much or the glue may release.

shoeless89
09-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I used the 50ml sample of So2Pure last week. I deliver pizzas and sometimes smoke so the smell get pretty funky. I sprayed roughly half the bottle and didn't really notice the difference. But I re-sprayed about 40% of the remaining So2Pure and so far its been great. So I used about 40ml to do my 2007 Corolla

sahrcar
09-28-2011, 02:11 PM
What about using a dry thermal fogger like the Unsmoke electro-gen. It's originally designed for smoke damaged homes but have heard of it being placed in cars for about 5-10 seconds and then letting the fog do its cleaning thing. I'm tempted to buy one in place of an ozone machine. They run on ebay for only $150-200. What do yall think? Will this suffice for odor removal?

ThirdgenTa
09-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I will probably be doing 2 cars and 1 Suburban.

Insurance will be paying for it, but I am not sure how that works since I am not a business and only detail for friends and family. If anyone can fill me in on insurance jobs I would appreciate it.
Also, how much should I charge?

SeaJay's
09-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I will probably be doing 2 cars and 1 Suburban.

Insurance will be paying for it, but I am not sure how that works since I am not a business and only detail for friends and family. If anyone can fill me in on insurance jobs I would appreciate it.
Also, how much should I charge?

I've never done a job for something that insurance will be paying for. Here in MA insurance companies will not deal with a company that isn't legit. Since you typically have to bill them and they will send you a check.

And now that you say that insurance is paying I'm going to assume this is smoke damage from a fire? I"ve never dealt with that type of damage before, so I'm not sure what to suggest. You may have a hard time getting that smell out.

As far as pricing, I think it will depend on where you are. For something like I'd probably quote $150-$200 just for the interior. But it depends on your location.

Jenn1270
09-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Jon-Don has some great products to get rid of smoke smell. They are a janitorial type business but I get a product there call odorcide to use when my dog decides to use the floor as her toilet.

Jenn

watermark
09-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Read this post:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/32472-ozone-generator-does-really-work.html

Btw, growing up, my dad owned (and still does) an apartment maintenance company. The two smells that were damned near impossible to get rid of were smoke damage and a dead body that wasn't immediately detected. IME, the only way to deal with smoke damage is either with a commercial fogger or an ozone generator. There are far too many "nooks and crannies" in a car to ever hope that anything other than a commercial product would work.

Do yourself a favor and research renting an ozone generator and be guaranteed that it will work. Otherwise you could find yourself purchasing a significant amount of products that are really designed to deal with "everyday" odors.

Just my two cents.

oldmodman
09-29-2011, 12:09 AM
I just posted in this thread.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/41534-removing-smoke-smells.html

And I used an ozone generator.