PDA

View Full Version : How and what to mask off?

Kinalyx
09-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Im sure this has been covered, but searching for any type of masking or taping term brought up TONS of threads.

Im new to detailing, and have never taped off a car before.

How and what all do i tape off? Any specific methods that work better than others?

Shawn

Setec Astronomy
09-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Go to this page: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html and scroll way down to the section called Taping-off and Covering Up.

Belair
09-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Since I'm typing in the 'Quick Reply' msg box, tape off everything you don't want to get a particular product on, then remove the tape immediately after you're done.

Klink10
09-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Since I'm typing in the 'Quick Reply' msg box, tape off everything you don't want to get a particular product on, then remove the tape immediately after you're done.

What he said.

ThirdgenTa
09-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Hmm... Trim around the windows, door handles, emblems, Head lights, tail lights etc. Basically anything that is not paint that you are going to correct. And if you overlap the tape slightly it will prevent compound dust from getting in. Some people even tape around the ridges around the wheel wells because there is a little less clear coat there and it is easy to burn through.
I use 3m 1 inch painters tape, but I ran out and I am now using the green tape. Either will work.