PDA

View Full Version : help me, new to detailing

Poindextrous
09-28-2011, 10:42 AM
hey guys, I want to purchase a few things before this sale ends and would like to hear some opinions on what I have planned:

just real quick, I own a 2011 black subaru, w/ 3M ventureshield on the front bumper/hood/fenders - purchased a PC DA polisher and several pads.

for washing, was going to use Duragloss 901 (safe to use between detailing and won't
remove wax/sealant?)
polishing: Klasse AIO
glaze: Pb's black hole glaze or Klasse sealant/glaze
sealant: WG sealant 3.0 or Blackfire wet diamond protectant - if I go w/ the
Klasse sealant/glaze, I assume I can remove this step (?), or not.
Wax: Collinite 845

I live in the northeast, so protection from the elements and products that can hold up in extreme conditions is my main concern... that and looking good :)

I have a ton of microfiber towels.
Help and thank you!
(btw, if this is the wrong place to post this, let me know)

Mike Phillips
09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
glaze: Pb's black hole glaze or klasse sealant glaze

Two completely different products. The PB black hole is a true glaze, the KSG is a finishing sealant.

I'm on an iPad, I'm sure someone else will chime in and explain the difference.

:)

Poindextrous
09-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Two completely different products. The PB black hole is a true glaze, the KSG is a finishing sealant.

I'm on an iPad, I'm sure someone else will chime in and explain the difference.

:)
yea, that's right. So I could do both. Then I wouldn't do the WG sealant. ... unless I wanted to add an extra layer (?)

tw33k2514
09-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I would pick one. Either the WG 3.0 the BFWD, or the klasse sealant. Then whichever sealant you choose do two layers for coverage, and then you can top with 845. If you want to use the PB glaze before your sealant that is fine. It is not necessary, but will probably hide some of the stuff Klasse AIO leaves behind.

That would make your process as follows:

Wash: Duragloss 901
Clay
polish: Klasse AIO
glaze: Pb's black hole glaze
sealant: WG sealant 3.0 or Blackfire wet diamond protectant or Klasse sealant

Don't forget to let the sealant cure before you top it with another layer. I usually let it cure 12 hours before a second layer of sealant, and 24 before wax.

shoeless89
09-28-2011, 01:53 PM
The Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner with no abrasives, just an FYI

embolism
09-28-2011, 02:52 PM
have you read articles on clay and how to do it? Even new cars can benefit from claying. If after your car is washed, the panels don't feel like glass, then you've got stuff bonded to the paint (sap, iron, etc) that can be removed by clay. Horizontal panels get more stuff than vertical, and the back seems to get more contaminated if you drive on the highway alot (vaccuum effect).

It being a new car, you probably don't have too many swirls yet. Most important thing to learn is how to wash and dry the car properly so you don't mess up the paint. Get some grit guards, a few wash mitts, some rinseless wash like ONR, or Ultima waterless, some rolled edge microfibres, maybe some OPC, and some clay.

I like KAIO as a chemical cleaner but maybe you want to consider Prima amigo. It will clean the paint and when paired with a DA, has some mild abrasive and filling abilities. I think it can take the place of the KAIO and black hole, saving you both money and time (and it shouldn't affect sealant bonding).

Here's how I'd do it:

Clay using rinseless as lube
Polish: Prima Amigo (white 5.5 LC flat pad, speed 5)
Sealant: WG sealant 3.0 or Blackfire (black 5.5 LC flat black, speed 4)

Poindextrous
09-28-2011, 08:06 PM
awesome info, thanks guys!

That would make your process as follows:

Clay
polish: Klasse AIO
glaze: Pb's black hole glaze
sealant: WG sealant 3.0 or Blackfire wet diamond protectant or Klasse sealant

Don't forget to let the sealant cure before you top it with another layer. I usually let it cure 12 hours before a second layer of sealant, and 24 before wax.
I'll probably go this route. would you recommend one sealant over another? Again, looking to get the most protection during the winter. I've read rave reviews on the WG stuff. And when I apply the sealant, stick w/ just one?

The Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner with no abrasives, just an FYI

I like KAIO as a chemical cleaner but maybe you want to consider Prima amigo. It will clean the paint and when paired with a DA, has some mild abrasive and filling abilities. I think it can take the place of the KAIO and black hole, saving you both money and time (and it shouldn't affect sealant bonding).

my car's new, so I assume I can stay away from abrasives or fillers for now (?)
Thanks again for all your help :)