PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat 2.0 and Chipguard

crxman2010
09-27-2011, 11:59 PM
I am taking delivery of a new Graphite Luster Acura in the next week or so and I have been kicking around the idea of putting Opti-Coat 2.0 on it.

I was debating having them deliver it to me with the plastic peeled off but having had no exterior cleaning done but I ended up telling them they could wash the vehicle but not to apply their sealant to it. The machine they use is aggressive enough they remove the window wiper arms/blades prior to sending the entire vehicle through when they apply sealant, no warm fuzzy feelings here.
I was told it would be hand washed instead of being run through the automatic car wash, again no warm fuzzy feelings here but I am allowing this step on the fact I don't want to get it home, wash it, and find damage to the paint that was hiding under the dirt. Just trying to avoid as many dealer installed paint options as possible because if I go down the Opti-Coat route I want the paint in the best possible shape I can without taking a machine to it. I just don't feel comfortable yet running a DA on brand new paint.

I am going to have the entire hood wrapped with 3M chip guard as well a large portions of both front fenders and most likely the front bumper, and throwing in the rocker panels.

My first question is where Opti-Coat is clear coat like, would you apply the Opti-Coat before or after the chip guard?
Secondly, has anyone applied Opti-Coat over chip guard? Any difficulties with the edges of the film? The car was manufacture approximately 8-10 days ago, with today's factory paint would it be necessarily to wait for period of time before applying Opti-coat?

clintb
09-28-2011, 12:18 AM
No sealant, no coating, no wax prior to putting on the 3M (or any brand) chip guard.

For the Opti over chip guard, you may want to contact OPT for their guidance.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
09-28-2011, 05:46 AM
I've applied opti coat under and over clear bras with no ill outcomes.

Chris Thomas
09-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Many new cars sit with no protection in lots waiting to ship. They are often next to rail yards. I would plan for claying and light polishing, even on a new car prepping for OC. OC is fine under or over the chip film.

jimbo585
09-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I wouldnt even let the dealer wash the car. Regardless if they say they are going to "hand wash" it, chances are they wont be using the proper 2 bucket method. I dont think you would be doing more harm by taking it home and washing it yourself. Also, if youre worried about finding hiden paint problems, the dealer wouldnt do anything about them if you told them to ONLY wash it, but you know how they listen...

So you also run the risk of them going further and forgetting to stop after the wash which will just cause more harm than good. If I were you, I would just take it home, wash it, clay it and then apply some poli-seal before applying opti-coat. Since its a new car thats never been touched, the paint should practically be perfect so you can do this all by hand. I would do all those steps before opti-coat and I wouldnt let the dealer wash your car! Thats just my opinion though. Good luck wih the new car!

crxman2010
09-28-2011, 02:30 PM
I am not worried about me doing any harm to it. :D In my previous experiences dirt can hide things quite well and my concern is more along the lines of if I get it home and cleaned and then come to find out it has been keyed, scratched, whatever.... the dealer/manufacture is going to refuse to fix the problem because no one will be able to say whether or not it happened prior to delivery and I will bear the cost of repairing it.

I would rather the dealer not doing anything about the paint problems. If someone has cause damage of some kind, I would rather know its there and pursue having it fixed correctly than having it covered up with glaze so it looks nice for 10 minutes.

Plan of action right now is to wash the car then clay followed by poli-seal on all the areas to get covered with film. Get the car back, wash again, clay remainder of the car followed by poli-seal. Then I will either crack out the Opti-seal I have or break down and get that weird Opti-Coat stuff. ;)

Even in that case, poli-seal would be by hand, which I know isn't optimum (yes optimum products, not best results). I have a practice car for the pc but until I am comfortable doing that to the civic, its not touching the TL.

RaskyR1
09-28-2011, 03:32 PM
I would say if you're not comfortable with a DA polisher yet then you shouldn't be using OC 2.0 yet either.