PDA

View Full Version : Midnight sun vs. trade secret vs supernatural

skcor250
09-27-2011, 11:54 PM
I recently compared these three waxes and wanted to briefly review them, but I also wanted to pose a question to the paste wax experts out there, something along the line of cotton diaper vs. microfiber buffing.

Trade secret by Top of the Line has been a favorite of mine for years. Goes on easily and buffs off like a dream....or at least it used to. I used to use a cotton diaper to buff off this wax and it worked very well for me. The wax would come right off like a dream and leave a wonderful deep shine. After the reformulation that many waxes have gone through to meet VOC's, this wax now just smears with a cotton diaper. It has been driving me crazy, so I recently purchased the two waxes mentioned above as a comparison. I want my ease-of-use wax back.

MS and Supernatural behaved essentially the same as the reformulated Trade Secret. The went on very nicely, but they smear with a diaper no matter how long I let them dry. They come off better with a microfiber, but microfibers, I'm afraid, take too much of the wax layer off to make a good buffing material. Shine was excellent with all three waxes. All a little different, but all excellent. The test car was an orient blue 325i (dark blue metallic).

Does anyone else prefer to use a cotton diaper to buff wax? If so are you having the same problem as me? Is there a wax that buffs off easily with cotton?

Has anyone else noticed this change and has just gone to using microfiber? What are your thoughts about microfiber taking off too much wax?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Alex Boyce
09-28-2011, 12:21 AM
From my understanding, once the wax has "bonded" to the paint and cured properly, the wax that you are removing is "extra" wax.

I think everyone here will agree using a microfiber to remove wax is just fine, and you aren't removing anything more than the excess wax.

Anyone else pipe up if I'm wrong but I've always been under the impression to remove all of the wax/sealant completely once it has properly setup.

opie_7afe
09-28-2011, 12:57 AM
i think you figured out your own problem. use a microfiber, and if my knowledge is correct cotton can mar softer paints. using a microfiber wont remove the wax protection if it did all of us would have unwaxed cars. not trying to seem rude or anything, i would stick to a nice thick microfiber using light pressure and should be golden. leave the diapers on the baby!

Lasthope05
09-28-2011, 01:14 AM
i think you figured out your own problem. use a microfiber, and if my knowledge is correct cotton can mar softer paints. using a microfiber wont remove the wax protection if it did all of us would have unwaxed cars. not trying to seem rude or anything, i would stick to a nice thick microfiber using light pressure and should be golden. leave the diapers on the baby!

Diaper cloth is perfectly fine as is most high quality cotton to use on paint. It wasnt until a few years ago that microfibers came on the market. I still use terry towels to remove hard waxes(FK waxes, collinite paste, M16..etc) and follow up with a microfiber as it helps break the waxed surface.

Also not to mention finishing up with a plush terry or diaper cloth does not leave a static charge on the paint like microfibers do leading to dust attraction.

Flannigan
09-28-2011, 06:20 AM
BFMS is one of the easiest waxes to remove I've ever used. It's one step (a very very tiny step) below Souveran in terms of ease of removal. Are you using it WOWO as the instructions indicate?

fredcandetail
09-28-2011, 08:45 AM
So theoretically WOWO doesn't really get a chNce to bond ... Right?
The only wax that I can think of that says it needs time to set up/bond/dry/cure would AG HD
Now I'm curious if when I WOWO if I'm shortchanging longevity .. Anyone want to make an educated reply ....

05xrunner
09-28-2011, 11:10 AM
So theoretically WOWO doesn't really get a chNce to bond ... Right?
The only wax that I can think of that says it needs time to set up/bond/dry/cure would AG HD
Now I'm curious if when I WOWO if I'm shortchanging longevity .. Anyone want to make an educated reply ....
I dont think...I use 845 as a WOWO instead of letting it cure like the bottle says because I had a hard time removing it that way..and I got a good solid 4months out of it during winter months with salt and snow and on a unproperly prepared paint..i dont clean my beater to often.

skcor250
09-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes - I used it WOWO per the instructions and I also let it dry a bit more to see if removal was easier that way. I think (and this is only speculation) that with the newer low vapor pressure solvents, the wax stays softer on the paint much longer (still has solvent in it) and that is why cotton doesn't pick it up very well.

Thanks for the thoughts...I'm going to experiment some more with dry times but I'm guessing I'll end up using microfiber cloths to do the buffing.