PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire WD + Fuzion = Polymer Overkill??

Pages : [1] 2

courtdale
09-27-2011, 09:05 AM
I understand the basics of polymer products. What I don't know is if it redundant putting one polymer product on top of another. Is the molecular action still possible if one layer of polymer is already covering the paint? My guess was redundant, but then I had seen people posting that they like to layer their seals.

I'm currently using BF Wet Diamond as my LSP, pretty much ignoring the wax market. I am going to break down and order some wax soon though and have been eyeing up WG's Fuzion. I'd like to try it, but I'm not going to give up my BFWD. Whatever I get would have to be used in conjunction with my BF, and yes, I have also been looking at their wax (Midnight Sun?)as well.

Buckskincolt
09-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I'd go with the Midnight Sun, I have never used it but the BFWD MS combo gets rave reviews! I don't think it's overkill if that's the look you want and you like to bring out the best in your car.

courtdale
09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
I'd go with the Midnight Sun, I have never used it but the BFWD MS combo gets rave reviews! I don't think it's overkill if that's the look you want and you like to bring out the best in your car.

I should have mentioned the alternative. While the look might be nice, the price in polymer waxes probably isn't worth it if the polymers aren't being put to use. If that is the case I was leaning more towards just topping with something more basic like a Collinite 845.

I know the Fire and Ice practice with Blackfire gets a lot of praise, but if the polymers aren't being used, I'm not spending the $$.

Buckskincolt
09-27-2011, 10:01 AM
I should have mentioned the alternative. While the look might be nice, the price in polymer waxes probably isn't worth it if the polymers aren't being put to use. If that is the case I was leaning more towards just topping with something more basic like a Collinite 845.

I know the Fire and Ice practice with Blackfire gets a lot of praise, but if the polymers aren't being used, I'm not spending the $$.
My thought would be that the polymers are being used as long as you allow the first coat of sealant to completely cure before the second coat of the hybrid. A very reasonably priced hybrid is DP Max Wax. I don't think is as durable as some of the other high end HB waxes but it's really nice to use and leaves an awesome deep wet look.
I think the key to get the full durability of any polymer layering is to be sure of the complete cure of one coat before topping with another. I'm no chemist so take it for what it's worth.

TS656577
09-27-2011, 10:09 AM

While the more expensive polymers work well and look great, 845 is the go to for many people because it does look good and has longevity. Applying them on top of each other wouldn't/shouldn't cause issues. I usually put a coat or two of Menzerna Powerlock sealant on then a coat of wax whether it be 845, 915, or Pinnacle's liquid souveran.

adamfox
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
quick question, hope its not too of topic... is blackfire really hard to apply by hand? Anyone have any experience with it and any good results? Or are most of you doing it by machine?

courtdale
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
quick question, hope its not too of topic... is blackfire really hard to apply by hand? Anyone have any experience with it and any good results? Or are most of you doing it by machine?

If you're asking about Wet Diamond, I've done both. Machine and hand are equally easy to apply and remove. Loved the results both times. If you were talking about the wax, not sure.

Timbrr
09-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I applied BFWD by hand this weekend and it can be done. The biggest problem I had was applying it in a thin layer. Next time I will use a black pad & the PC for application.

SonOfOC
09-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Overkill is a relative term. Many including myself have layered Fuzion over BFWD with good success. Some have even gones as fars a two coats of Fuzion.

Whatever floats your boat and gives you that warm fuzzy feeling is what you should do. Not being a chemist I cannot tell you how the molecular bonds will interact with each product. However, I've been absolutely blown away at what BFWD, WGPS, or Collinite 845 has done as a LSP with no toppers!

I understand the basics of polymer products. What I don't know is if it redundant putting one polymer product on top of another. Is the molecular action still possible if one layer of polymer is already covering the paint? My guess was redundant, but then I had seen people posting that they like to layer their seals.

I'm currently using BF Wet Diamond as my LSP, pretty much ignoring the wax market. I am going to break down and order some wax soon though and have been eyeing up WG's Fuzion. I'd like to try it, but I'm not going to give up my BFWD. Whatever I get would have to be used in conjunction with my BF, and yes, I have also been looking at their wax (Midnight Sun?)as well.

truckbutt
09-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Adding a carnauba or a carnauba+ to BFWD adds to the depth and slicknness of the product. I've used Collinite 845 and Midnight Sun. They both work well. I've applied BFWD by hand and with a Flex. I can't tell the difference in appearance between the two.

courtdale
09-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Well after reading the responses, what I think I will do is pass on the hybrids/polymers and just shoot for a higher quality basic carnuba like a Dodo Supernatural. They offer that in a small size so I won't have to break the bank to play with it. I'll top the Wet Diamond with that and see how it goes.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-27-2011, 02:16 PM
No need, IMO.

Waxmax
09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Blackfire WD looks deep and wet without any carnauba topper.

I've topped BFWD with a few waxes including Midnight Sun and Fuzion and I could not tell a difference in looks. Also, felt like I lost a little slickness.

All I can say is try it and see what you think.

Time 2 shine
09-27-2011, 08:19 PM
I would just layer the BFWD.

Scott DeBrun
09-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Be careful of the supernatural because I have heard of sweating issues after using the wax. I'm not saying it's a bad wax because I have a big selection of DODO products but if it were me I would use the BFMS wax. I have done the fire over ice method on my Frontier and it's worth the time and effort.