PDA

View Full Version : Beginner - Tweak My Cart

glc3344
09-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Hey everyone - My name is Greg and i've decided to take a dive into detailing. I have a black 2002 Ford Taurus that looks tired. It sits outside everyday all day and it has some serious swirling, oxidation, and clear coat scratches. I'm looking to shine her up and get her looking good again. I'm not looking for a show room finish, just a nice improvement. I'm looking for suggestions on my cart. Good? Bad? Should i go an entirely different route? My Budget is $300 and the number of products to choose from is really overwhelming. I'm not sure what to choose anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated and i look forward to chatting it up with everyone on these forums!

Thanks,
Greg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5011/cartj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/cartj.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

shoeless89
09-27-2011, 07:41 AM
:welcome: to Autogeek Online! :)

You cart looks good to me, you have the basics. Collinite 845 is an amazing product. The PC7424 is also a great polisher to start off with. Do you have buckets, wash mitt's, ect? Just keep reading on here and you'll learn a ton. Check out the Mike Phillips area and read his articles. It should give you a great starting point with all the information you need to know.

BTW if you use the code AGO when you checkout you get free shipping on orders over $95. And the fall sale is also going on right now :) Have fun and good luck! Im the MAN

T.O.C.
09-27-2011, 08:17 AM
personally for $10.00 more I would upgrade to the Kit with the Megs G110v2. it is a much nicer and powerful machine than the PC.
But other than that looks like a nice place to start

embolism
09-27-2011, 09:05 AM
I generally don't like buffer kits and prefer to get things individually. Just get the Meg's unit for $150 and pair it with the 5.5 inch MF kit, a couple bug sponges for cleaning the pads, some clay, ONR or other rinseless wash (for clay lube etc), some Cobra edgeless MF towels, some DG aquawax, and the Collinite 845. Maybe get some optimum power clean too. It's a great apc that can be used on everything.

Do you have grit guards? The buckets at home depot fit them perfectly. Don't forget your free sample.

Buckskincolt
09-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Right now you can save money buy not buying a kit. The kit does not get the 20% discount so buy the polisher and then build you own kit. Take a hard look at the Griots 6" polisher buy a 5" backing plate ( comes with a 6").
If you buy the Meguires microfiber 5" starter kit it comes with a 5" backing plate so you won't need one.

I'd buy the GG6 and the Meg MF 5" starter kit system over what you have, add 4 each of the polishing and finishing pads ( you will go through some as a learning curve) drop the poli-seal the finish wax will do the same thing. Get the 845, some quality microfiber towels, make sure you have clay and grit guards. Also you need an product like Optimum no rinse to make clay lube and you can make a quick detailer with it as well. Call in your order and have Nick help you, he will steer you in the right direction and make sure you get what you need for your budget as well as make sure you get all discounts and free shipping..... Don't forget to add your free sample to you order!

calhoun1
09-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Do you have microfibers yet? Dont forget to add those for buffing off the polish, wax, etc.

Also you could try the Menzerna SIP, 106FA route. Those polishes work great for me!

TS656577
09-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Right now you can save money buy not buying a kit. The kit does not get the 20% discount so buy the polisher and then build you own kit. Take a hard look at the Griots 6" polisher buy a 5" backing plate ( comes with a 6").
If you buy the Meguires microfiber 5" starter kit it comes with a 5" backing plate so you won't need one.

I'd buy the GG6 and the Meg MF 5" starter kit system over what you have, add 4 each of the polishing and finishing pads ( you will go through some as a learning curve) drop the poli-seal the finish wax will do the same thing. Get the 845, some quality microfiber towels, make sure you have clay and grit guards. Also you need an product like Optimum no rinse to make clay lube and you can make a quick detailer with it as well. Call in your order and have Nick help you, he will steer you in the right direction and make sure you get what you need for your budget as well as make sure you get all discounts and free shipping..... Don't forget to add your free sample to you order!

This. I have the MF kit at home waiting for me to use. I haven't read anything bad about it. So like they said, I'd get a DA and the 5" starter kit. I have a 7424 and haven't had any issues. Make sure to have good microfibers. Advance auto microfibers might be ok for cleaning the interior, but I've felt them and would trust them on my paint or wheels. I feel like they could cause marring. Bug cleaners are a must in my area. I like the 1z anti-insekt with the bug sponge. You may want a wheel cleaner but if you keep after them, you shouldn't need a wheel cleaner. Otherwise, I like the suggestions made above about the Optimum no rinse and the grit guard.

11camryse
09-27-2011, 11:45 AM
maybe some lube for the clay (quick detailer)
microfibers.

glc3344
09-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm glad I posted prior to pulling the trigger. I did a complete overhaul and went with your guys suggestions - the GG6 along with the MF kit 5", the 845, bug sponges, ONR and a bunch of microfiber towels. Am i missing anything important?

Buckskincolt
09-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm glad I posted prior to pulling the trigger. I did a complete overhaul and went with your guys suggestions - the GG6 along with the MF kit 5", the 845, bug sponges, ONR and a bunch of microfiber towels. Am i missing anything important?

IMO you have made a good decision.

You might consider adding a couple more of each, the cutting and finishing pads, a clay bar, and don't forget the beer while you admire your finished project!:cheers:

glc3344
09-27-2011, 05:54 PM
IMO you have made a good decision.

You might consider adding a couple more of each, the cutting and finishing pads, a clay bar, and don't forget the beer while you admire your finished project!:cheers:

Now we're talking! I'll add all of those to the list. Thanks again everyone for your input - it was greatly appreciated.