PDA

View Full Version : Detail shop put swirls and halograms in my Black sapphire BMW

fanman36
09-26-2011, 09:47 PM
A detail shop here in Houston detailed my black sapphire bmw and left swirls and some mild halograms in the paint. I tried using a DA and a orange pad and Klasse AIO but that did not get the job done. Can someone lead me in the right directio to get my paint back to flawless

Twister
09-26-2011, 10:09 PM
You need something with more aggressive than Klasse AIO. A lot of people like Megs 105/205 combo. I peronally like Menzerna products and use SIP a lot but I think 105 is more aggressive

Kristopher1129
09-26-2011, 10:58 PM
I would test a spot with some 205 and a white pad, and see how it goes. You want to avoid compound if at all possible being that this "detail" shop possibly already used compound, or a cutting pad on your paint.

slickooz
09-26-2011, 11:03 PM
You need something with more aggressive than Klasse AIO. A lot of people like Megs 105/205 combo. I peronally like Menzerna products and use SIP a lot but I think 105 is more aggressive

Yeah try M105/205 to see if it will remove the holograms.

I would test a spot with some 205 and a white pad, and see how it goes. You want to avoid compound if at all possible being that this "detail" shop possibly already used compound, or a cutting pad on your paint.

If M205 doesn't work you might need to use M105 to remove the holograms.

If you got your own DA, why did you bring your car to a detail shop?

fanman36
09-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Yeah try M105/205 to see if it will remove the holograms.

If M205 doesn't work you might need to use M105 to remove the holograms.

If you got your own DA, why did you bring your car to a detail shop?

being lazy

sal329
09-27-2011, 06:52 AM
BMW black is very finicky. A good variety of pads and polishes on hand will be needed. What do you have available to you?

shoeless89
09-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner so it won't remove swirls or holograms. You either need an AIO with abrasives in it or a compound. I would try Meguiar's 105 or 205 or Menzerna SIP

Flannigan
09-27-2011, 07:27 AM
BMW black is very finicky. A good variety of pads and polishes on hand will be needed. What do you have available to you?
BMW black is always hard to correct, but mars if you look at it for too long. I would assume that you will need M105 and a surbuf/mf cutting pad to remove the swirls and holograms. After that you should be able to clean up the rest of the marring with a polishing pad like a tangerine HT pad or white flat pad with m205.

Every so often m205 won't finish down perfect on black (especially a PITA black like BMW) so you may need to do a step with a finishing polish (Po85rd) and a finish pad (black/red/gold). Hope that helps!

Mike Phillips
09-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Sorry to hear of the damage done... for all the lurkers and forum members that will read this into the future, learn a lesson from the story told here and before allowing anyone to "touch" your car's precious, thin paint, research them and their work, maybe ask a few questions as to the type of products, pads and tools they use and if nothing else, see if they even know what they're talking about.

The most knowledgeable detailers are detailers that hang out on discussion forums like this one as this is where you learn about new products, tools and techniques that work.

For future readers...

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

For the OP, check out these two threads, chances are good the swirls are shallow and should buff out easy...

Wolfgang Twins (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wolfgang-car-care/34641-wolfgang-twins.html)

Lessons I learned from a Black 2009 BMW 550i (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/33599-lessons-i-learned-black-2009-bmw-550i.html)

:xyxthumbs:

fanman36
09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Sorry to hear of the damage done... for all the lurkers and forum members that will read this into the future, learn a lesson from the story told here and before allowing anyone to "touch" your car's precious, thin paint, research them and their work, maybe ask a few questions as to the type of products, pads and tools they use and if nothing else, see if they even know what they're talking about.

The most knowledgeable detailers are detailers that hang out on discussion forums like this one as this is where you learn about new products, tools and techniques that work.

For future readers...

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

For the OP, check out these two threads, chances are good the swirls are shallow and should buff out easy...

Wolfgang Twins (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wolfgang-car-care/34641-wolfgang-twins.html)

Lessons I learned from a Black 2009 BMW 550i (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/33599-lessons-i-learned-black-2009-bmw-550i.html)

:xyxthumbs:

My car is not that bad like the 2009 BMW. The swirls are very light. Which one is better Wolfgang twins or the meguiars combo and what pads are best to use the orange or the white.

fanman36
09-27-2011, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=sal329;545244]BMW black is very finicky. A good variety of pads and polishes on hand will be needed. What do you have available to you?[/QUOTE

I have orange and white pads. Which product should I use Wolfgang twins or megs 105/205 combo or some other products. Thanks in advance.

Mike Phillips
09-27-2011, 04:56 PM
My car is not that bad like the 2009 BMW. The swirls are very light. Which one is better Wolfgang twins or the Meguiars combo and what pads are best to use the orange or the white.

Meguiar's M105 is much more aggressive than the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover but the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze will finish down nicer than the Meguiar's M205

The Total Swirl Remover is a lot easier to work with and wipe off.

If the swirls are shallow, the Wolfgang Twins will take care of the swirls no problem.

:)

StephenK
09-27-2011, 04:58 PM
just curious why didn't you take it back to the detail shop or even very carefully look it over at the shop with the detailer so you can point out what was wrong?

panthercz
09-27-2011, 05:14 PM
I know lots of people recommend 105/205 combo but if you have never used a compound before, I would recommend that you avoid 105. It takes some trial and error to get it right and even then, it is still not that user friendly. I say reach for something like the Optimum Hyper Compound and Optimum Hyper Polish or the Optimum Compound II *New and Improved and Optimum Polish II *New and Improved and Optimum Finish Polish. The Hyper sprays can be messy during application to the pad but they are great in terms of work time, removal and no dusting. Another big tip is go through the video section and watch some of the guides Mike has posted on how to properly use a DA polisher.

fanman36
09-27-2011, 06:55 PM
just curious why didn't you take it back to the detail shop or even very carefully look it over at the shop with the detailer so you can point out what was wrong?

I honestly did not do a walk around and as far as taking it back ..I rather just do the job myself like I normally do and I know it will be done right. I just paid for a valuable lesson and thats to continue to do the detailing on my car myself. I was hoping they would do a great job, so when I was pressed for time I could drop it off and have it done while at work\..:nomore: