PDA

View Full Version : cleaning on they fly

CAMAROZL1
09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
when polishing a car with a pad do you need to clean pad after every section? Example; I get done polishing hood of car, do I need to clean pad on the fly, or can I continue on to doors or etc... I read some newbie articles and sounds like fly is best way to go especially when working on a car with only one pad of each color.

BobbyG
09-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Here ya go! :props:

How to clean your foam pad on the fly (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly.html)

CAMAROZL1
09-26-2011, 07:28 PM
The important thing to understand is that as you work on the car with your polisher you’re going to be removing a little paint and there’s going to be used-up product and paint building-up on the face of the foam pad. It's important to clean this gunk off your pad often.

So the question is, how to you clean this gunk off the pad?

The answer is there’s a number of ways to clean your foam pad, the three most common are,
Pad Washer
Nylon Brush or Pad Cleaning Brush
Terry Cloth Towel

Thanks BobbyG I read this article before posting this thread and it left me with the question how often do I clean it? Is it when I see paint on my pad? or every section I buff out? Im a bit confused on that part if that helps clarifying things.

BobbyG
09-26-2011, 07:42 PM
OK, I gotcha now.

Normally I go through 3 foam pads when working on a finish using a 1-Step like Meguiar's D151. I use a stiff brush to keep things loose and an old bath towel to clean on the fly. I like to wrap it and secure it with clamps to my bench top. This way I just turn on the polisher and press the pad against it. I'll move it to another clean spot and do this again and it does work quite well.

I usually clean it after 2 panels but it also depends on how much compounding I'm doing and the actual condition of the finish mainly heavy oxidation.

CAMAROZL1
09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
ok that changes things Ill be buying a few more pads. thanks for the wisdom